Multicurrency Mortgages

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
13 Apr 2008 12:00 AM by damok666 Star rating in Sunderland. 75 posts Send private message

Does anyone know much detail about Multicurrency mortgages? 

I've not seen much in the way of downsides to them but do the mortgages experts among the members know much about them?  Are they easy to arrange in Spain?

Thanks in advance.

Like 0      
14 Apr 2008 3:39 PM by Smiley Star rating in San Pedro de Alcanta.... 2502 posts Send private message

Smiley´s avatar
They are a rare breed in Spain and only available from a very limited direction - whether they are a good idea or not I guess is upp to you - there is always a risk as the currency of the mortgage (e.g Swiss Francs) fluctuates against the Euro and Sterling so there could be a downside - interest charges can be lower (Swiss approx 3.9% at the moment). The lenders that do offer them soemtimes want the borrower to have earnings in the currency of the loan although this can be assessed very much on a case by case basis. If it is remortgage you are considering then it should be noted remortgage expenses are still going to be roughly 6% of the loan size so that has to be factored into the equation - its going to cost 6000€ per 100,000€ Euros in switching the deal - upside is that it can be arranged on long term interest only -

You will see it is not straightforward but it most certainly is not for everybody.

Smiley - patrick@marbellamortgages.com  www.marbellamortgages.com   www.comparetravelcash.co.uk

Like 0      
23 Apr 2008 2:51 PM by damok666 Star rating in Sunderland. 75 posts Send private message

Thanks for the reply Smiley.  I saw a couple of adverts in the CB News I think but obviously they just highlight the better aspects.

Like 0      
23 Apr 2008 5:00 PM by Smiley Star rating in San Pedro de Alcanta.... 2502 posts Send private message

Smiley´s avatar
There are many people promoting the concept but nothing is ever as straightforward as it seems - while the benefit of the lower interest rate is great there are very very few people that understand the complexities of managing the exchange risk and believe me there is a risk. Swiss Franc mortgages were being heavily pushed in the UK pre regulation in the late 80's - rates at 2.7% while sterling was about 7.5% - looks very attractive but a lot of people ended up financially disadvantaged by having switched to Swiss.

Smiley - patrick@marbellamortgages.com  www.marbellamortgages.com   www.comparetravelcash.co.uk

Like 0      
02 May 2008 6:29 PM by advisor Star rating in London most of the t.... 311 posts Send private message

Great tools if you understand and have the time to "manage" the currency markets, extremely high risk as has already been mentioned, most common used over the last 5 years has been the Yen.

Nobody plans to fail, many fail to plan, sadly the result is the same.

Like 0      
05 May 2008 9:42 AM by Smiley Star rating in San Pedro de Alcanta.... 2502 posts Send private message

Smiley´s avatar
Yen too volatile in my opinion - Swiss Franc is more stable - even so currency risk has to be managed.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Changing Address for car ownership - 4 posts
Rojales (CB) - 11 posts
Sales Rep's required to sell the New SPF SPRAY BOOTH and LIGHT THERAPY CHAIRS - 0 posts
Wanted Office Furniture - 0 posts
Rent or Buy when moving to Spain - 8 posts
contact - 2 posts
Fitting electrial appliances and lights. - 27 posts
Death Duties - 0 posts
car boot sale - 0 posts
Driving Time - 3 posts
Rental needed with ADSL Internet - 9 posts
Most common problems when buying in Spain? - 4 posts
I need some websites! - 3 posts
Gas Bareque Licence??????????? - 1 posts
Wonderful Alcaidesa - 3 posts
Gran Mirador Rio Park Muchamiel 13 MISSING PEOPLE WANTED READ MR ANDY. - 0 posts
Mr Andy - 1 posts
Disappearing developers - what is the right course of action - 7 posts
How to find a thread - 3 posts
Spanish property prices up! - 3 posts
PARKING AT TERMINAL 2 ALICANTE? - 2 posts
Splitting a parcela - 1 posts
Villa @ La campaneta County of Orihuela - 2 posts
Buy/Sell/Rent Free Online Advertising - 0 posts
Estepona Primary Schools Please - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 6

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x