Worried about Healthcare

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
03 Jun 2011 12:00 AM by mdulling Star rating. 1 posts Send private message

Hi, I am due to retire in 2 years time and my wife and i are looking to retire to the Costa blanca (South) region.  The only fly in the ointment is my wife has worries about the availability & cost of healthcare.  She has pre-existing medical conditions (which i don't really want to go into but if required will) but will not be at retirement age when we relocate.

Can anyone advise how much medical care is likely to cost so we can do some real financial planning

Mark & Anne

Like 0      
03 Jun 2011 1:24 PM by joanmalaga Star rating in Costa del Sol. 420 posts Send private message

 You can get private medical care but price depends on age, the problem is most of the time they will not cover existing medical conditions depending on what they are.  Some companies are Adeslas, Sanitas, Medifiatc.  May be worth giving them a call to find out.

The other thing you can do is get the European Medical card before you come out, this then should give you aceess to Social security.


Like 0      
03 Jun 2011 1:49 PM by norman+maggie Star rating. 1 posts Send private message



Like 0      
03 Jun 2011 3:18 PM by foxbat Star rating in Granada. 1114 posts Send private message

foxbat´s avatar

Mark, Anne Hi!

Can I suggest you take a look at this NHS website. It contains all of the information you require;


A particularly relevant section (for you) states;


If you move to an EEA country to live but not work and don't receive a UK benefit, you may be eligible for up to two-and-a-half years of state healthcare, paid for by the UK.

You will need to apply for form S1 (or form E106 if you are moving to Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway or Switzerland) with the Overseas Healthcare Team (Newcastle). You also need to prove that you have worked in the UK and paid National Insurance contributions up to three years before your departure.

For further advice, contact the Overseas Healthcare Team (Newcastle):

Overseas Healthcare Team (Newcastle)
Tyneview Park
Whitley Road

Newcastle upon Tyne
NE98 1BA

Phone 0191 218 1999 (Monday to Friday 8am-5pm).

The S1 (or E106) will entitle you to treatment on the same basis as a resident of the country you are moving to. This may mean that you have to make a patient contribution toward the cost of your care.

When the cover on the S1 (or E106) expires, you cannot get any further medical cover from the UK until you receive a UK state pension. It is up to the country’s authorities to decided whether you are eligible to join their healthcare scheme. 

You will also be entitled to a UK-issued EHIC, allowing you to visit other EEA countries besides the one you are a resident with.

Once you are in receipt of a UK State Pension  a different Form applies;

This extract covers the details...

If you're receiving a UK state pension or long-term incapacity benefit, you may be entitled to healthcare paid for by the UK. You will need to apply for form S1 (or an E121 if you are moving to Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway or Switzerland), which you need to present to the health authorities in your new country of residence. You will then be treated on the same basis as a resident of that country.

Once you have registered your S1 (or E121) in your new country of residence, you will be entitled to a UK-issued European Health Insurance Card (EHIC), allowing you to access state-funded necessary medical treatment when you visit other EEA countries besides the one in which you are resident, including when you return to the UK.

It is advisable to check what is covered before leaving the UK and make arrangements if necessary.
Use the
country-by-country guide and select a country from the list for detailed information.

For further advice, contact the Overseas Healthcare Team (Newcastle):

International Pension Centre
Tyneview Park
Whitley Road
Newcastle upon Tyne
NE98 1BA

Phone 0191 218 1999 (Monday to Friday 8am-5pm)

Customers who receive a UK state pension can obtain an S2 (or E121) by phoning 0191 218 7777 (Monday to Friday 8am - 8pm).

Customers who receive a UK long-term incapacity benefit can obtain an S2 (or E121) by telephoning the Working Age Group Incapacity Benefit team on 0191 21 87644 (Monday to Friday 8am - 5pm).

The phone number for the Employment Support Allowance team is 0191 21 87037 (open Monday to Friday 8am - 5pm).

If at any time in the future you want to come back to the UK for planned treatment, you must consult your new authorities to find out the options available to you. However, you will be charged in the UK, unless you can provide an S2 (or E112) issued by your country of residence.


Talk to the people in Newcastle, you will find them very understanding, knowledgable and helpful.



This message was last edited by foxbat on 03/06/2011.

This message was last edited by foxbat on 03/06/2011.




Like 0      
03 Jun 2011 4:28 PM by mattresscleaning Star rating in FUENGIROLA. 106 posts Send private message

Hi guys,

may I also recommend ALC healthcare.

They are a specialist expat insurance company that allow you to choose any hospital, anytime for your needs. The policies are also written in English, for english, whilst fully complying with Eu regulations for peace of mind.

The person I use is called Steve Lippe. his office number is (+34) 952 93 16 09 as well as the following details.

(+34) 677 494 791   

(+34) 952 90 67 30

website = alchealth.com

At least he will be able to answer any questions you may have for private or state healthcare regardless of what direction you take!


hope this helps


This message was last edited by mattresscleaning on 03/06/2011.

This message was last edited by mattresscleaning on 03/06/2011.

Like 0      
04 Jun 2011 4:46 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Hi Mark & Anne

I wonder whereabouts you are thinking of retiring to in the CB South, not that it makes a difference. Norman & Maggie are correct. if your wife is 60 & you are less than 65 you can piggy back off her so to speak as she's entitled to use the Spanish health care system so you can have care free too. If you are 65 she will piggyback off you if she's under 60 too. Our friends did this when they retired here.


This message was last edited by morerosado on 04/06/2011.


Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Mad Dash(?) from Heathrow to Gatwick in 3 hours - 5 posts
Free large Cod and Chips... - 8 posts
Trains - 10 posts
Moving within Spain - 1 posts
Palmera Properties - Almeria - Las Torres apartments and Townhouses..................... - 0 posts
Car Wanted - 0 posts
Would be GOOD if members posted when their items were sold! - 0 posts
Cannondale Mens Racing Bike - 1 posts
Ferrari Owner´s Club of Andalucia visit Manilva - 2 posts
1.9m satalite dish wanted - 1 posts
iPlayer in Spain - 20 posts
moving to costa del sol - 6 posts
VISA scam - Please read. - 2 posts
More Tenants From Hell - 0 posts
changes over the years - 5 posts
Non Resident Certificate 2 yearly payment - 3 posts
End of contract - 2 posts
Claiming social security - 2 posts
My Inheritance Nightmare! - 30 posts
Hola! - 2 posts
EX16 Form TIE Tarjeta de Identidad de Extranjero - 7 posts
A member of ours here, Tinasolera has been nominated for Coastrider Pride of Spain 2011. Vote for our Tina! - 2 posts
New Murcia Tram DSystem is Open - 1 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 6

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x