All EOS blogs All Spain blogs  Start your own blog Start your own blog 

One stop shop for expats in Spain

The Presidents Club International (TPCI) can be your “one-stop shop” to help with your day-to-day life in Spain. We’re here to help you, FREE of charge, no matter whether you’re a President of a community, an owner, a tenant or just a tourist visiting the area. Our original intention was to provide a service to community Presidents on the Costa del Sol, to help with, the sometimes complicated, management and legal obligations of running their communities. However, it soon became evident that residents, non-residents, owners, tenants and tourists alike, would benefit from TPCI membership.

Claiming benefits in Spain
15 February 2016 @ 12:15

Working and paying contributions in Spain gives you entitlement to a number of Spanish social security benefits. These benefits include unemployment benefit, and permanent and temporary incapacity benefit.
If you have worked in Spain but have been told that you do not have entitlement to Spanish social security benefits as you have not paid enough national insurance contributions, you must make sure you declare the contributions you have made in the UK. or any other EU country. This is because previous contributions paid in these countries can often be used to make up any entitlement as though they were paid in Spain. Also make sure that, as for any benefit application, you apply in writing.
If you have been working and paying contributions in Spain, even for just a short time, you may be entitled to claim unemployment benefit. Make your claim at your local employment office in Spain. Usually there is a minimum 1-year contribution for a 4 month benefit claim.

Spanish sickness or incapacity benefit
You should apply for sickness or incapacity benefit in Spain if you have been working here and paying contributions. Make your claim at your local INSS office.
Spanish means-tested benefits
Even if you do not have entitlement to a contributions-based benefit, you may be entitled to financial help from your local social services, providing you meet certain requirements
You can find out more on what means-tested benefits are available in Spain by speaking to a social worker at your local town hall or visit your nearest Instituto de Mayores y Servicios Sociales office (IMSERSO - Spanish Institute for the Elderly and Social Services)

Like 0


Leave a comment

You don't have to be registered to leave a comment but it's quicker and easier if you are (and you also can get notified by email when others comment on the post). Please Sign In or Register now.

Name *
Spam protection: 
Your comment * (HTML not allowed)
(Items marked * are required)


This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x