Paypal Setting Up. Any Tips?

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
23 Nov 2009 12:00 AM by mike_walsh Star rating in Torrevieja. 594 posts Send private message

mike_walsh´s avatar

Paypal Setting Up. Any Tips?

Has anyone a pay pal account? Because of increased client enquiries I am setting one up today. Before I get started on what is to a technophobe, a challenge, I would welcome any tips. Is it easy to set up a pay pal account? Is there anything to watch out for; to avoid? Cheers. Michael.

Russian - English Translations, Copywriting and Ghostwiting. Check my Website or email keyboardcosmetics@gmail.com for details

www.keyboardcosmetics.com

Like 0      
23 Nov 2009 1:27 PM by goodstich44 Star rating in northampton. 1648 posts Send private message

mike

I set one up, mainly for buying/selling items on EBAY. Not had any problems so far, and all straight forward to set up. Having said that, I won a bid for a laptop a few weeks back and wanted to pay through paypall, but the seller wouldn't accept it. When I insisted on a good reason 'why not'  he withdrew the item and his EBAY details along with over 100 positive feedbacks. Turns out he was a fraud as were his feedback details!, so if someone refuses to accept paypall I think that should set alarm bells ringing.

Like 0      
23 Nov 2009 1:53 PM by mike_walsh Star rating in Torrevieja. 594 posts Send private message

mike_walsh´s avatar

I like the EASY setting up bit. I have visitors due to arrive so might leave it until tonight or tomorrow. That was a dodgy situation re' the laptop purchase. It might not effect me though. I expect my PayPal to be be exclusively one-way; clients paying me for my services. The reason I never bothered with PayPal before was because I did all my purchases and payments online; which has been perfectly satisfactory.

Russian - English Translations, Copywriting and Ghostwiting. Check my Website or email keyboardcosmetics@gmail.com for details

www.keyboardcosmetics.com

Like 0      
23 Nov 2009 2:04 PM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar

I love PayPal.  So many people use it and these days most people are happy to pay through PayPal.

Saying that, I personally still find it a little bit clunky and it could certainly be easier to use than it is.  I don't think it's totally intuitive especially when trying to use some of the more advanced merchant functions.

Justin

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
23 Nov 2009 4:53 PM by sandra Star rating in . 812 posts Send private message

sandra´s avatar

I love PayPal.

Last month an item I purchased on Ebay was not as described, i.e., working.

The vendor was less than helpful until I said I was filing a dispute with PayPal.

The problem was settled at lightening speed.

Yes, I love PayPal.

Like 0      
24 Nov 2009 1:38 AM by Lava Clip Star rating. 25 posts Send private message

Hi...

Before you set about using PayPal for Vacation rental invoicing...

Google "PayPal chargeback scam"

Chargeback is a method now frequently being employed by fraudsters to claw back rental after they have used your apartment.

A colleague of mine has been victim of this scam.

He had a lovely family (or so he thought) call quite close to travel date, rent his apartment, paid in full using PayPal including 3.4% fee.

He e-mailed contract.

They completed it. scanned it and e-mailed it back, original in post....Never got that one...

Monies cleared all £1050.00 plus a £250 refundable deposit a total £1300.00 in 3 payments..

one week later they used his apartment and departed. All fine. Apartment checked and all fine.

They even rang from apartment for an override code for safe as they forgot what code they set.

Then...

They initiated a charge back...

Monies were reversed and he could not challenge Pay Pal as he had provided a service and even though he had a contract the cost and aggravation in pursuing it rendered it a total loss...

Be Aware...

When you provide a service it is not like a product...

Very difficult to prove you supplied exactly what your renter may claim he was led to believe he had agreed to.

I will no longer use PayPal for rental.

If I loose a customer here or there... So what...

One charge back cost him £1050.00 loss..

Not at all funny.

I have researched this in depth even with PayPal and although they make all the right noises when you speak to them, they do not volunteer the answers to the questions they know full well you should be asking them.

They did agree with me that their service may not suit my type of business....

Sorry for rant but I cannot recommend them.

Pay Pal is an excellent tool for the right situation and I think where vacation rental is concerned...

Do your homework....

Kind Regards

Like 0      
24 Nov 2009 1:48 AM by Lava Clip Star rating. 25 posts Send private message

Ooh...

PayPal great for buyer... Not so good for seller if buyer is a fraudster...

In response to goodstich44 comment bottom....

Just because I do not accept PayPal does not make me a fraud.

I use it to purchase for the very reason I would not use it to sell a service...

Remember   Google   "PayPal chargeback"

Like 0      
24 Nov 2009 9:01 AM by TheBabyHireCentre Star rating in In between the two a.... 48 posts Send private message

TheBabyHireCentre´s avatar

PayPal has always worked very well for us. Particularly as the buyer does not need to register for an account with them if they do not wish to.

Never had any issues with either buying or selling on ebay using it either.

As another plus point, nearly all of our advertising is paid for through it too as so many people recognise and ustilise it, which makes life easier.

Like 0      
24 Nov 2009 9:07 AM by abbbb1 Star rating in Essex and Ciudad Que.... 306 posts Send private message

abbbb1´s avatar

Have used Paypal for both buying and selling

I had problems on both counts - and I must say that Paypal resolved both problems within a short space of time.

On the buying side I purchased a camera which the seller said was sent; then lost in the post etc but turned out to be a bit of a con artist as goods non-existant - so got full refund.

On the buying side someone decided not to pay the full amount of money - again sorted!!

Home
is where the heart is!

Like 0      
24 Nov 2009 7:43 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2626 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

PayPal has always worked very well for us. Particularly as the buyer does not need to register for an account with them if they do not wish to.

You will have to have completed the verification process and hold a upgraded account receive card payments from non Paypal customers. Easy to do and free.

I have never been asked if a guest can pay by Paypal even though I do make it known I will accept it, but I would only take the deposit and certainly not on a late booking. I have used it for the security deposit though as all fees are fefunded when the refund is made to the customer.

Mark

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Another La Renta question - 0 posts
La Semana Santa en Sevilla - 0 posts
Spanish bull fighting - 74 posts
Spanish holidays - 0 posts
Question about Spain, Need some help! - 0 posts
postres en Espana - 0 posts
Scooter For Sale - 0 posts
Navidad - 0 posts
Cheap travelling to Spain - 0 posts
CGT for non-residents - 1 posts
I want to transport my dogs from UK to Spain - 5 posts
Hola a todos en este foro. Mi nombre es Sunrise. He estado en los Eye On Spain durante casi tres meses! - 0 posts
Can anyone recomend small part load deliveries to Costa Blanca - 4 posts
Joint property ownership - 0 posts
Driving Back to the UK?? - 11 posts
Land status validation - 4 posts
Congratualtions! - 10 posts
Life insurance is crippling me - 5 posts
5 month let required - 4 posts
dacion en pago - 0 posts
Transfer tax - re-assessment by Junta Andalucia - based on deemed value? - 0 posts
Una pregunta acerca de Espana! - 9 posts
UK TV, Freeview, Freesat, different systems & receivers explained - 0 posts
Satellite updates HD, Top Gear, Freesat - 0 posts
Van going to Spain the 3 of december - 1 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 10

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x