ID cards for non-Spaniards?

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
09 Nov 2009 12:00 AM by Sanchez1 Star rating. 853 posts Send private message

Does anyone know if you can get an ID card in Spain if you are not Spanish?  I am resident in Spain, have an NIE and residencia certificate.

It would make things a lot easier for me going to Gibraltar and back each day if I could just show an ID card, which I could just keep in my wallet.

Thanks in advance

David

Read my blog: Spain Money Saving Tips and Offers 

Use TransferWise to send money abroad. A lot cheaper than the bank and other online currency exchanges!.

Like 0      
09 Nov 2009 10:41 PM by mike_walsh Star rating in Torrevieja. 594 posts Send private message

mike_walsh´s avatar

I agree with this poster. Carrying a comparatively bulky passport around is a hassle. A driving licence sized card would be far preferable. I am surprised that a commercially speculative service provider hasn't seen the potential of providing such an identity card. There's about a million Brits here in Spain   ...   and millions more in the UK who would value the convenience. It cannot be difficult to get government approval of a design and information.

Russian - English Translations, Copywriting and Ghostwiting. Check my Website or email keyboardcosmetics@gmail.com for details

www.keyboardcosmetics.com

Like 0      
10 Nov 2009 1:28 AM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

If you are not an EU citizen, you will still get a residency card. If you are an EU citizen, I have heard reports that you can still request one, but I've not actually seen or heard any hard evidence of anyone actually getting one. An EU photocard drivers licence fits the bill, surely? It's also an officially recognised form of ID, whereas a commercially produced one would not be.

Having said that, I believe you still need your passport to enter Gib. See here. Remember, Gib is not in the EU. Also, I think since the UK (assuming you are British?) is not in the Schengen agreement, you still need to carry a passport when moving around most of Europe. I've even heard of people being asked for passports on flights between London and Glasgow

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
10 Nov 2009 7:06 AM by pilgrim Star rating in Costa Calida. 231 posts Send private message

pilgrim´s avatar

I believe this has been discussed in previous threads?

Allegedly, if you are an EU citizen, where carrying ID is not compulsory, Brussels felt that the same situation should be enjoyed by Brits. etc., living abroad.

When my NIE was due for renewal, I requested a further ID card but was told that as a British subject, I had to carry my passport and the green replacement sheet, showing my number and residency.

I feel that my pseudo-Spanish position has been diluted, even though I use an old NIE card for ID when I can, it is not quite the same.

Maybe one day, like the UK, we will have a choice?

pilgrim

Like 0      
10 Nov 2009 12:25 PM by Sanchez1 Star rating. 853 posts Send private message

Thanks for the replies.

It looks like the only way I can get an ID card is to become a Spanish citizen.  According to wikipedia, since I am married to a Spaniard and have been resident in Spain for 1 year, I can legally apply for Spanish citizenship.  I had been thinking about doing this anyway.

Does anyone know if you have to renounce your British citizenship or can you have dual citizenship?  I would like to keep my British passport if possible.

Thanks in advance

David

Read my blog: Spain Money Saving Tips and Offers 

Use TransferWise to send money abroad. A lot cheaper than the bank and other online currency exchanges!.

Like 0      
10 Nov 2009 6:45 PM by leema Star rating in Washington Tyne & We.... 655 posts Send private message

Hi David, you can still  keep your british passport and have duel citizenship.

Love Mam

Maureen & Dennis

Coto Real

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Personal Trainer - 2 posts
Techo Sobrante - 5 posts
CAR FOR SALE: Renault Megane Diesel. Automatic. - 2 posts
Why ?? ?? - 40 posts
Do you have to pay inheritance tax if it is your primary residence??? - 2 posts
Change of address - 7 posts
Econorent - 5 posts
Accommodation in Murcia - 1 posts
Tolls! - 7 posts
Habitation certificate - 12 posts
hi, anybody had any success getting deposit refunds from builder? - 11 posts
Looking for Responsible Reasonably Priced Occasional Dog Sitter/Kennels - 6 posts
Christmas parking at Malaga airport - 1 posts
Available for any help! - 1 posts
Goldcar - 2 posts
Duquesa Water Park - 1 posts
Easyjet refund policy - 3 posts
Dutch citizens now moving from New Zealand to Spain... - 1 posts
Cost of taxis - 1 posts
A few questions about rental cars - 3 posts
1.9mtr sat dish and stand - 0 posts
interesting problem UK to ES - 2 posts
Completing & Submitting Modelo 210 - 33 posts
EASYJET - SUMMER 2010 NOW LIVE - 11 posts
Interpreter needed for hospital visits - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 6

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x