4 conditions to pay 0 € for IHT in Andalucia

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
27 Oct 2009 12:00 AM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

Legal tip 170. 4 conditions to pay 0 € for IHT in Andalucia
26 October 2009 @ 15:21

As expressed in a recent Andalusian decree dated September 2009: the reduction of the taxable amount will be total, which means you will be paying zero as IHT if:

Condition One) Being a resident in Andalucia:

Condition Two) you are, in respect to the deceased:

Group I: A descendant or an adopted children under twenty one.

Group II: A descendant or adopted children of more than twenty one years/old, a spouse, an ascendant or an adopter.

Or assimilated:

a. Domestic partnerships registered within the Register of partners of the Andalusian region. ( regarded as spouses)

b. Persons subject to a permanent or pre-adoptive foster care. ( regarded as adopted)

c. People who make a permanent or pre-adoptive foster care ( regarded as adopters)Condition Three) IHT Taxable amount does not exceed 175,000 euros.

Condition Four) The preexisting patrimony of the taxpayer falls within the first tranche of the scale set out in Article 22 of Act 29/1987 of 18 December. (402.678, 11 €)

The amount of the reduction of the taxable amount will consist of a variable amount whose application determines a payable amount of zero.

Handicapped will pay 0€ if the IHT taxable amount does not exceed 250.000 €.

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
28 Oct 2009 6:17 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

An interesting point, which I hope Maria will confirm if I am correct, is that for the purpose of inheritance tax, the value of any property (in Andalucia) is calculated using the valor catastral, rather than the "market value". The Junta de Andalucia has a calculator here to find out the minimum value you should declare, by entering the valor catastral, the province and municipality, and year of the last revision of the VC.

In most cases, I imagine this valuation of property will mean the taxable base is considerably less than if you used the market value. Good news!

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
29 Oct 2009 7:59 AM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

Full information for Andalucia here.

These index were for taxes payable in 2008. In short words the value of the house to the effect of the IHT is calculated by applying an index ( which is different according to each municipality) to the Catastral value.

http://www.juntadeandalucia.es/economiayhacienda/servicios/normativa/d-consejeria/2008/orden18-12-08.pdf

Lawyer

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
05 Mar 2010 4:22 PM by pumpkin Star rating in Essex & San Cayetano. 110 posts Send private message

pumpkin´s avatar

Maria, hi

I hope you can help me.  I have been contacted by a UK Will writing company who when they found out we had purchased a property last year in Murcia provided an illustration of how much we could expect to pay in Spanish Succession Tax on the death of either my partner or myself as joint owners. His illustration has frightened me half to death as because we are not married he says my partner and myself have no tax relief amount.  Based on a purchase price of €190,000 he has calculated the surviving partner would have to pay just under €30,000 in tax within six months of the date of death, He also says our spanish bank account would be frozen until the tax was paid and that the surviving partner would not be allowed to sell the property to pay the tax.  His answer to this is to set up a UK limited company.  There is no way either of us we would be able to meet such a high tax bill. Our spanish Will is currently set up that following the last death of either myself or my partner, the property proceeds would be split between a brother, a niece and a cousin which he says gives them quite a high tax bill to fund as well.

Is this right? 

If anyone else can add to this discussion I would appreciate your help.

Thank you

Sheila

Like 0      
05 Mar 2010 6:27 PM by sandra Star rating in . 812 posts Send private message

sandra´s avatar

Because we have no direct heirs, I once discussed this with a FA and he said an insurance policy can be bought to cover this tax.

Like 0      
05 Mar 2010 7:17 PM by David W Star rating. 199 posts Send private message

David W´s avatar

So Sandra

Is the insurance thing true?

And have you done so?

Like 0      
06 Mar 2010 7:57 AM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

Sheila: Are you Spanish residents? Where do you reside?

Lawyer

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
06 Mar 2010 7:03 PM by pumpkin Star rating in Essex & San Cayetano. 110 posts Send private message

pumpkin´s avatar

Maria, hi - sorry I should have said we are UK residents.  Our property in Spain has been purchased  as our holiday home.

Regards

Sheila

Like 0      
18 Mar 2010 8:45 PM by pumpkin Star rating in Essex & San Cayetano. 110 posts Send private message

pumpkin´s avatar

Maria, have you been able to consider my question please.

Best regards

Like 0      
19 Mar 2010 6:46 AM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

Apologies Pumpkin.

There is no tax reduction applicable to your case in Murcia mainly because you are not using the house as first dwelling and you are not married.

Therefore, yes.. it is advisable for you to look to alternative ways.

Best regards,

Maria

Lawyer

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
19 Mar 2010 9:57 AM by RBrettH Star rating in Bedfordshire & Naran.... 134 posts Send private message

RBrettH´s avatar

Sheila

I have simi,ar concerns having bought a property with my brother where it is our childrens inheritance.

We cointacted wincham (www.winchamiht.com) due to them regularly advertising the set up of UK limited companies and magaing the process and annual requiremenst but at £5k plus monthly fees seemed quite heavy, so have yet to do any thing.

Like 0      
19 Mar 2010 10:08 AM by fultond Star rating in Haywards Heath & Tor.... 242 posts Send private message

Regarding the insurance schemes. I may be a little cynical, but aren't these just saving schemes whereby you pay somebody a commission arrange the savings on your behalf? Perhaps they do cover you in the event of death, but I'm not pessimistic enough to worry about that.

Like 0      
19 Mar 2010 2:20 PM by joanmalaga Star rating in Costa del Sol. 419 posts Send private message

The easy way out of this one is to take out a life insurance for an amount you consider would cover the costs.  I know many people who have done this and set the beneficiaries of the policy to be the heirs and that way they can cover the inheritance costs.

Like 0      
19 Mar 2010 4:52 PM by pumpkin Star rating in Essex & San Cayetano. 110 posts Send private message

pumpkin´s avatar

Thank you to everyone who has replied on this.  As others have also said, I am not comfortable with the UK limited company option - especially considering the costs involved, both set up and ongoing! The life insurance policy seems to be a route worth considering and I think we will check that out in the not too distant future. 

Best regards

Sheila

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

11 months can be a permanent rental contract - 3 posts
Promise of Mortgage Re-payments Reduced - 10 posts
Need as much info about living in Costa Del Sol - want to make friends! - 3 posts
Mobility Scooter - 0 posts
H2O/Countrywide Terracaz de Alcucin problem - 0 posts
Status of Spanish nationals who have not paid into SS system - 7 posts
Bohemian Bankruptcy - 0 posts
Georgia might know the answer to this - 5 posts
A few hours a week?....... - 2 posts
TV for sale - 1 posts
Marlows Fish n Chips, Duquesa - 25 posts
Why have posts been given exotic titles? - 2 posts
Karaoke Player - 0 posts
FILM BOOK Collection FOR SALE - 0 posts
CD Collection FOR SALE - 0 posts
advice appreciated - 4 posts
Toldos/awnings - 0 posts
Justin & EOS team - forum rules are being broken - 8 posts
Ochando Golf Resort - 1 posts
Ripped Pergola Covers... - 1 posts
advice needed for renting my property - 8 posts
Seat Ibiza Low KMS FOR SALE - 1 posts
Wanted: 3-month min let in Los Alcazares starting next week! - 1 posts
EMPTY PROPERTY???? FREE ON-SITE SECURITY - 0 posts
Don't forget... Clocks go back tonight!!! - 1 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 14

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x