Is living in Spain really that bad now???

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | ... | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
23 Oct 2009 8:42 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

Bit daft moving to Torrevieja and complaining about Brits speaking English, if you ask me. I was in Fuengirola today, which I imagine is much the same as Torrevieja, and noticed how many more local business owners there spoke English compared to Torremolinos - where there's not such a high proportion of foreigners. It's a truly international town, full of not only Brits but Germans, Dutch, Finns, Swedes, Danes etc. etc., both residents and tourists - all of whom long ago recognised the simple truth that English is the de facto international language, and pretty much all of whom (unlike most Spaniards) speak it fluently.

None of this makes it excusable, of course, for us not to make an effort, out of respect for our hosts, but it does help to explain a little why we find it so hard. The UK does not have a strong emphasis on language learning, because it's not considered such a priority as it is to, say, the Dutch, who know that outside their rather small corner of the world they will have trouble communicating in their own language. And once you've mastered one language, it's esaier to grasp the concept of learning another, which explains why generally the Dutch and others do make a better go of Spanish than the Brits.

Spain has not placed a strong emphasis on languages either, perhaps out of some mistaken belief that, because their language is spoken by as many people in the world as English as a first language, it is also widely understood and spoken by others. They are wrong - notice how many Italian and Portuguese tourists speak to waiters in English, rather than attempting Spanish, which one would think would be easier for them.

It's interesting to get a Spaniard's view, and commendable indeed that she returned from her time in England with such a good command of English, but I don't think this is necessarily a typical viewpoint, nor a very intelligent one.

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
23 Oct 2009 10:37 PM by peteranne Star rating in York & Los Montesino.... 111 posts Send private message

peteranne´s avatar

We have just returned home after a wonderful holiday in our apartment. One day we were in one of the chinese shops in Quesada when a woman came in asking in english for a plastic tray, the young lad showed her a tray, No she said a tray for knives and forks speaking to him loud and slow like he was deaf, poor lad just looked puzzled and held up more trays.

Then in an even louder voice she said "why don't you people speak english" -- There she was in a chinese shop in Spain and she expected them to speak english for her.

She then found what she wanted herself and as she was paying  for her cutlery tray the lads mum was apologising for her son not understanding.

Talk about ashamed to be British. 

Peter & Anne   -   www.los-montesinos-spain.co.uk

Like 0      
23 Oct 2009 11:14 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

I know what you mean. I overheard a lady today getting frustrated and irritated at a young sales assistant in an electrical shop for not understanding her. From her accented English, I would say she was German, maybe Finnish.

Sadly, there are rude and ignorant people from all parts of the world.

Mark Twain

Like 0      
24 Oct 2009 9:15 AM by roddy1 Star rating in Leeds/ Balsicas. 250 posts Send private message

roddy1´s avatar

I believe that if the only Spanish in your vocabulary is 'un cerveza por favor' you will almost be missing the true real Spain. I am currently learning Spainish, finding it hard, but intend to carry on regardless, I also feel this is an age issue when learning!

When I went to school the only second language on offer was French, now in most schools you can learn French, German and Spanish, so in a few years time we might be better presented!  

The British, Spanish and French all seem to be in same boat on this subject, being with any of these languages you could travel to numerous countries and still speak in your native tongue, I would say though that the French come out best on using a second language, perhaps being with France having more borders.

Hasta luego

Like 0      
24 Oct 2009 10:12 AM by ads Star rating. 4125 posts Send private message

I know this is slightly moving off thread but I have a wonderful French friend who has been living over in the UK for some time (hubby was relocated by his company) and she has an amazing command of the English language (with a sexy strong French accent mind you!). She's always asking me what certain colloquiallisms mean and then tries to introduce them into the conversation once she's learned them. It puts us all to shame to be honest.

Are Spanish lessons expensive over there? Is it purely conversational Spanish? How do you cope with the written word when it comes to admin and the like? Reading some threads it seems that the electricity and telephone companies are not very good with solving problems that arise. Do they have to provide English speaking operatives through EU law (don't mean to sound arrogant there, it's just a query!) When you come across everyday problems like that do you turn to your local Spanish friends for help or do they get fed up of sorting things out for you? Is there some person in the local town halls that you can turn to?. What about dealings with the Police, do they have any translators if required? More questions about everyday living in Spain I'm afraid and how its impacting on both the locals and foreign nationals for those who are still in Spanish learning mode!

This message was last edited by ads on 24/10/2009.

Like 0      
24 Oct 2009 11:40 AM by Bri Star rating in North. 591 posts Send private message

I couldn't agree more about the importance of being able to speak Spanish at least enough to have a go.  It may be true that English is the international language, etc etc, but as the second of only two languages (English and Spanish) which continue to grow outside of their native countries, I think people underestimate  both the pride and the competitiveness Spanish people feel where their own language is concerned.   People who want to limit themselves to English only will have to accept that they will miss out a lot - but if that is what they want that is their choice, but for me, one of the pleasures will always be to travel anywhere in Spain, with confidence enough to go into a Spanish bar and ask for directions or information.  We have had a lot of fun with Spaniards practicing their English back, and us having to check it in Spanish.

Oh and yes - it is hard - it is bloody hard.  I have just sat a 3 hour exam for my diploma, and I was exhausted.  Is it worth it?  It is to me, because I want to feel at home in Spain, and to have the solution of everyday problems (water, gas, electric etc) in my own hands.

Just one word about this business of life in Spain going to the dogs or whatever - I would urge anyone wanting to live or own property in Spain to read about the life the Spanish people endured through the civil war and under Franco, and then try to tell me that life used to be wonderful in Spain and now it isn't.  Things change everywhere, but in order to get anything out of something you have to put the effort in.  Comparisons between the two countries are meaningless really (new building laying to waste the coast? Have a look at the new build and empty apartments in any of our historic cities!  Start with Durham if you want to), you have to look at what you have and ask is it right for me.  Then enjoy it. 

Brian

Like 0      
25 Oct 2009 11:02 AM by myra cecilia Star rating in Manilva Malaga. 213 posts Send private message

For all those that find it difficult to learn Spanish.
My attitude has changed recently as I come across so many nice expatriates who apologize and feel guilty for not having learnt the Spanish language. I agree that they are likely to miss out on some aspects of living in Spain.  To really enjoy the part of the country called the real Spain one does not only need the language. That will make communication easier up to a point. One needs to understand the culture and the people. The proof of this is noticeable when residents of twenty years or more who speak the language still have difficulties dealing with the system. The Real Spain is out there for you to enjoy but the culture and the indigenous people and their ways you will only experience by having Spanish friends or working closely with them. . The Spanish view as regards friends is different to the British concept.  In the UK you are usually invited in when you arrive at the door. That is not the case here.  British people invite their friends to dinner at their home. Spanish eat out if with friends. When you are invited to a Spanish home it is an unusual occasion. I speak of Andalucía I have a friend from Galicia who always was throwing parties and invitations to dinner at her home.  As this is a story all in itself may I make some suggestions? As mentioned in one of the posts. Do not presume that all Spaniards speak or understand English. How ignorant (and we have all witnessed it) the person whose voice gets louder thinking that the Spaniard looking at them bemused must be deaf. At least learn the expression “Hablar Ingles” giving them a chance to know that you do not speak their language. The Spanish appreciate a few words in Spanish even if strung together badly. It shows that you respect and understand that you are in their country. Tell them “No hablo Español” Gives them a chance to get into hand signal mode. They may even find you cute. A smile whilst trying goes a long way. My pet hate is the person that goes into a long sentence in English directed at the cashier at the supermarket expecting that she is fluent in their language. The expression so often heard “If they want my money they will have to speak my language” is both rude and ignorant. Also the unbelievable expressions like “If we hadn’t come here to live they would still be picking oranges” Who says? I like many of you have come to live in Spain and if it was the UK I would not be here.  You don’t need to speak the language fluently. You just need to be polite, have some consideration and remember where you are.

Myra Cecilia. www.costaadvicebureau.com

Like 0      
26 Oct 2009 12:22 PM by ads Star rating. 4125 posts Send private message

Good to hear that those arrogant British souls who are rude are not being perceived as the majority.... but it is a worry and embarassing when you come across such ignorant behaviour. You tend to disown them!!!

Like 0      
26 Oct 2009 1:15 PM by Chimps Star rating. 117 posts Send private message

Is living in Spain really that bad now ? 

Which country would allow it to governed by the likes of these

.     29 have been accused of spouse abuse 

7 have been arrested for fraud 

9 have been accused of writing bad cheque's 

17 have directly or indirectly bankrupted at least 2 businesses 

3 have done time for assault 

71 cannot get a credit card due to bad credit 

14 have been arrested on drug-related charges 

8 have been arrested for shoplifting 

21 are currently defendants in lawsuits 

84 have been arrested for drink driving in the last year  And collectively, this year alone, they have cost the British tax payer £92,993,748 in expenses!!!

Which country is this ? 

It's the 635 members of the House of Commons, the same group that
  cranks out hundreds of new laws each year designed to keep the rest of
  us inline. 

What a bunch of b---tards we have running our country - it says it all
  .. And just to top all that they probably have the best 'corporate'
     pension scheme in the country!! 

I know Spain has its problems but maybe those in glass houses shouldnt throw stones.
We aint perfect as we like to seem to think we are at times

Like 0      
26 Oct 2009 4:01 PM by roddy1 Star rating in Leeds/ Balsicas. 250 posts Send private message

roddy1´s avatar

Hi Chimps

My sentiments entirely, how can we Brits knock Spains goverment system, when our own is so corrupt, we should endeavour to put own house in order first!

Like 0      
26 Oct 2009 6:16 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

Good point about knocking Spain when the UK isn't perfect (I read this weekend about an MP who claimed £60k second home allowance - on his parent's home, in Harrow - his "main" home being miles away in Hammersmith; he may have to apologise, may even have to pay back some or, God forbid all of it; thing is, it was probably all within the "rules")

But the same can be said about knocking the UK, when Spain isn't perfect. The investigations into fraudulent planning consents is likely to go on for years to come.

At the end of the day, this is a mainly British forum, mainly about Spain, so comparisons are inevitable and unavoidable. There will always be those with a bias one way or the other. I imagine corruption is fairly rife in Uzbekistan as well, but it doesn't get much of a mention here because it's not really relevant in this context.

So carry on slagging / praising Spain / UK everyone - it makes interesting reading!

Myra said: .....one does not only need the language. That will make communication easier up to a point. One needs to understand the culture and the people. The proof of this is noticeable when residents of twenty years or more who speak the language still have difficulties dealing with the system.....

So true, and something which I think many of us underestimate. Even if we couldn't speak the language (and the locals spoke no English) we would almost certainly find living in, say, Finland, a lot easier - apart from the weather, that is. The north / south cultural divide is greater than we imagine, sometimes, and is probably due in no small part to the weather, in fact. To truly be happy in Spain, I believe one has to first of all understand this and appreciate / respect it, and secondly, try as much as you can to adapt to it and accept it. To ignore it or try to change it is at best futile, at worst arrogant. Vive la diference!

Mark Twain

Like 0      
26 Oct 2009 6:33 PM by ads Star rating. 4125 posts Send private message

Interesting reading it may be but it stil doesn't detract from the reality that many people's lives have been shattered by some of these "differences". I don't want to turn this into a justice debate but I do wish to stress that this is not, nor should it be a competition between countries. Forums such as this should be about learning of others' experiences, the good , the bad, whatever, to put it all into perspective. But in so doing it also has the scope to be productive. To identify potential solutions, to forewarn of pitfalls, to highlight the benefits, as well as understanding the fascinating realities associated with cultural differences etc.

Like 0      
26 Oct 2009 6:59 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

Also good points. It shouldn't degenerate into a competition between countries, no, but the thread title, "Is living in Spain really that bad now?" does beg the further question "compared to what?" If it was simply asking "is it that bad now?" meaning, before the economy tanked & unemployment rocketed, then clearly the answer is, Yes. Or at least, "well, things have been better". If it meant "is living in Spain that bad now?" then the answer must be "well, no worse than anywhere else really".

Sorry, ads, that's not very productive, is it?

Mark Twain

Like 0      
27 Oct 2009 10:22 AM by goodstich44 Star rating in northampton. 1648 posts Send private message

Roberto said

''To ignore it or try to change it is at best futile, at worst arrogant. Vive la diference!''

Roberto

that sentance does beg a few questions. While I agree that we have accept cultural difference and it's great we have those differences, I still feel that we shouldn't ignore basic human rights what ever country they are in?  Suzanne and few others have fought long and hard to bring about 'change' that is needed in Spain to give those cheated by the system some sort of justice. 

Is that futile?, is that arrogant of her?, or is she just trying to make those in power in Spain just 'do the decent' thing, and recognise their own arrogance and faults that have led to so much misery and must take most of the blame for the collapse of the Spanish property industry?

''Vive la difference''  indeed, but when important regulation/justice 'differences'  have a very negative result on those wronged, then it makes it hard to celebrate.

As for the thread title?, well there's enough info' about now for everyone to make their own mind up I guess?

Like 0      
27 Oct 2009 10:56 AM by sotograndeestate Star rating. 5 posts Send private message

10 months on and we are still very happy with our move to Spain and our new lives together. In spain sotograde estate offers all of the amenities and possibilities for the international businessman.

Like 0      
27 Oct 2009 11:35 AM by georgia Star rating in Algorfa (As seen on .... 1835 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

georgia´s avatar

" In spain sotograde estate offers all of the amenities and possibilities for the international businessman."

Blimey, i have seen adverts like that in the classified sections under personal services......!!

Joking apart....there are massive differences between the cultures in the UK and Spain...some good,some not so good.

When i first came here you could walk out of one job into the next,the real estate boom created oppurtunities across the board,now work is thin on the ground you have to speak near fluent Spanish in any of the jobs that are available....

Just as a point of interest and something that will differ from area to area,my six year old daughter is taught Castellan(basic Spanish)

Valenciano (regional dialect) and English in the weekly curriculum at school at the moment, in the secondary schools here they are also taught Mandarin.

I would be interested to know out of curiosity if the Kids in the CDS or any other area are also taught a local dialect??

Like 0      
27 Oct 2009 8:01 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

Quote Goodstich44:

Roberto said

''To ignore it or try to change it is at best futile, at worst arrogant. Vive la diference!''

Roberto

that sentance does beg a few questions.

Taken out of context as it was and plonked into one of your anti-Spanish justice posts, naturally "a few questions" may be begged, but don't hold your breath for a sensible answer

Georgia, I don't know what languages if any they teach here (I'll leave that to the parents to answer), but Castillano is the language of Andalucia - it's just the accent (can I describe it as lazy without offending anyone?) that's tricky. Personally, I find Latin Americans the easiest to understand.

Mark Twain

Like 0      
27 Oct 2009 10:17 PM by Pitby Star rating in Andalucía. 1904 posts Send private message

Pitby´s avatar

I can't comment re Spanish schools, as we have put our son in an international school, but re language, I'm not sure which dialect my son is being taught in school, but will check that out (and I know what you mean about the Andalucian dialect, Roberto - they seem to 'swallow' their words!). 

In Dubai, in a British curriculum school, they always had French and Arabic in primary.  I'm a little concerned at the moment that in the school where my son is now they only have Spanish tuition and no other language.  Is that normal in an international school here?  We chose not to put him in a Spanish school because we thought it wasn't right for him at his age (10) and didn't want to disrupt his education any more than we had to.  I feel I may have to get private tuition for his French (or possibly arabic) to keep up what he has already learned.

Other than that, I'm very pleased that he's in the IB system.

Like 0      
27 Oct 2009 10:49 PM by Pitby Star rating in Andalucía. 1904 posts Send private message

Pitby´s avatar

And getting back onto the "Is living in Spain really that bad now???" thread subject, I agree Roberto - compared to living where??  How many people who gripe about living/working/the justice system/etc.., in Spain can say they have LIVED in Spain or anywhere else in the world other than their respective abodes at this moment?

Too many people think they can comment on LIVING in a country when they have never actually done so - let alone lived as an expat at all in their lives!!  And I'm sorry I had to shout about 'living" but there are too many people here who think they have a voice on living  in Spain when they have never done so!!

Go experience living in Spain or any other country/continent before slating it I would respectfully suggest!!

Like 0      
27 Oct 2009 10:51 PM by goodstich44 Star rating in northampton. 1648 posts Send private message

Roberto

must you take every comment I make as being 'anti Spanish?'   Could you not at least try and see the point i'm making before jumping on that bandwagon.

When somebody says how wonderful the differences are between the countries, then I fully agree, but please let's not forget that some of those differences that have a big effect on many people on the forum are very negative as you well know. As ads mentioned in his last post '' many peoples lives have been shattered by those differences''

You are being at the very least insensitive to deny that fact and i'm a bit suprised and hurt by your attack on me.

Like 0      

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | ... | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Certificate of habitation price question - 3 posts
Certificate of habitation question, Alicante - 4 posts
Want a short break in Benidorm - 0 posts
Fridge Repair - 3 posts
UK car in Spain - 26 posts
EU Trading Standards - 1 posts
What is the best spanish forum where I can speak in english - 0 posts
Calling an EGM - 9 posts
Claiming funds from a person who sold me a house knowing it was falling down - 6 posts
sat dish needed 1.3 mtrs - 2 posts
Personlised number plates - 4 posts
Banco Popular vs EVEMARINA SL - 0 posts
Casaras del Mar - Info Please - 2 posts
BANC CAM is BANK CAN'T - 8 posts
Supermarkets - 12 posts
Forum signature policy change - PLEASE READ - 22 posts
Let's keep it friendly - 79 posts
Happy Movil - 6 posts
Spiral Staircases - 3 posts
Low Rate Spanish Mortgages.com - 1 posts
Luis's Chickpea Stew - 2 posts
Interest Rates - 10 posts
How do I de-register my car in Spain? - 7 posts
Courier Work in Spain - 10 posts
sky box for sale - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 715

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x