Are Car rental companies making you break the Law in Spain!

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
18 Mar 2007 1:29 AM by JeansSis Star rating. 2376 posts Send private message

JeansSis´s avatar

This message was last edited by JeansSis on 5/18/2007.

Like 0      
18 Mar 2007 12:39 PM by sping Star rating in Stockport & Playa Go.... 148 posts Send private message

sping´s avatar

Thanks for that. I will certainly get a set if I see them in our local cheap store and will also look out for the jackets or bully a builder! (you might like that option, not that implying anything, but I do read your posts).

I know its going off thread but have you seen those window alarms on the market? They make a loud sound when the contact is broken, the markets are selling them for around 2€ each. Go to your local £ shop and get 4 for £1.

Sping.

Like 0      
18 Mar 2007 2:58 PM by JeansSis Star rating. 2376 posts Send private message

JeansSis´s avatar

Like 0      
19 Mar 2007 8:11 PM by Smiley Star rating in San Pedro de Alcanta.... 2502 posts Send private message

Smiley´s avatar
Not that I would want to encourage you to go off thread my dear but why dont you just hammer it into the grass - should give it enough support? Worked at my gaff anyway.

Smiley - patrick@marbellamortgages.com  www.marbellamortgages.com   www.comparetravelcash.co.uk

Like 0      
19 Mar 2007 8:31 PM by JeansSis Star rating. 2376 posts Send private message

JeansSis´s avatar

Like 0      
20 Mar 2007 6:34 AM by FibbyUK Star rating in UK, Surrey & Playa F.... 2349 posts Send private message

FibbyUK´s avatar

Yes, car rental companies DO make you break the law in Spain!

I nearly committed murder an hour after landing on Saturday when Deisel Cars at Alicante gave me some funny looking car, bright yellow, key to open the doors only, press a button on the dash, push on the brake with your foot and turn a knob to start it!

What???

After 10 minutes of fumbling and swearing, I refused to drive it, told the guy to get me another car else I will kill him and ended up driving away in a free upgrade Opel Miriva (spelling?)

Nice touch but nearly broke the law getting it!

FibbyUK

One off fee to pay your own La Renta tax (210 Form)
Check out my website:

http://www.payingtaxesinspain210form.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/

Like 0      
20 Mar 2007 11:37 AM by JeansSis Star rating. 2376 posts Send private message

JeansSis´s avatar

Like 0      
20 Mar 2007 10:32 PM by Smiley Star rating in San Pedro de Alcanta.... 2502 posts Send private message

Smiley´s avatar
GRASS helps me get through the day (and the night)

Smiley - patrick@marbellamortgages.com  www.marbellamortgages.com   www.comparetravelcash.co.uk

Like 0      
20 Mar 2007 10:52 PM by ******** Star rating in UK & Murcia. 574 posts Send private message

It's got to be the vino - or am i reading things I shouldn't be !!  Smiley - i just knew you were too happy - think I'll move to spain.

Jane

Like 0      
20 Mar 2007 10:55 PM by Smiley Star rating in San Pedro de Alcanta.... 2502 posts Send private message

Smiley´s avatar
Is it possible to be too happy? I am just not happy that car rental companies make yoi break the law in Spain - sorry Jan but hope thats got it back on thread

Like 0      
21 Mar 2007 12:26 PM by ******** Star rating in UK & Murcia. 574 posts Send private message

Smiley - I wasn't criticising you for going off thread  - wouldn't dream of it !!  I was suggestingly reading more into your references to grass than i should have done!   There's too much activity by the thought police and I have no intention of encouraging it.  In my work they now employ staff to go through the waste bins to make sure we have put the correct rubbish in the right place.  They also monitor our cars for carbon footprints when we use them for business.  No - let's get back to enjoying ourselves with some harmless banter.

Jane

Like 0      
21 Mar 2007 12:34 PM by JeansSis Star rating. 2376 posts Send private message

JeansSis´s avatar

Like 0      
21 Mar 2007 12:48 PM by ******** Star rating in UK & Murcia. 574 posts Send private message

Ooops - thanks Janice.  Didn't sleep a wink in case I'd upset Smiley!

Jane

Like 0      
21 Mar 2007 7:06 PM by Smiley Star rating in San Pedro de Alcanta.... 2502 posts Send private message

Smiley´s avatar

Could never upset me - I'm so happy oh so happy blah blah - yes you were quite correct Jane to read into it what you did - and Janice I was trying to avoid getting spanked (again) for contributing to the diversion of thread - mind you nothing wrong with a good spanking! I am so alternative - and so hard to take seriously I know but if you cant laugh at yourself who can you laugh at.

Now then back to illegal car hire companies or whatever we are su`pposed to be talking about

Like 0      
20 Apr 2007 4:30 PM by foxbat Star rating in Granada. 1112 posts Send private message

foxbat´s avatar

Back to the thread...

Couple of things associated with this thread. Under spanish law it is a requirement to carry a jacket for each passenger, two warning triangles and a set of spare bulbs YES, YES and YESBUT did you also know of the requirment to carry any tools that are necessary to actually carry out a bulb change? Yes folks tools... screwdrivers perhaps? torx drivers maybe? full set of spanners? Who knows. The owners manuals might tell you what you need, but its highly unlikely that there will be anything more specific than a couple of picture...

Also, on the subject of fluorescent jackets... did you here about a couple of incidents last year when the trafficos were stopping some vehicles along the coast road from Malaga to the Costa del Concrete, inviting drivers to leave the vehicle on some pretext or other and then handing out on the spot fines to those who left their vehicle without first putting on the jacket?

http://www.facebook.com/ruido.blanco.773

Like 0      
20 Apr 2007 6:23 PM by JeansSis Star rating. 2376 posts Send private message

JeansSis´s avatar

Like 0      
12 May 2007 8:51 AM by Sharron W Star rating in Sutton Coldfield, We.... 152 posts Send private message

Sharron W´s avatar

When  I go out the end of May for 4 days I Plan to hire a car - I have looked at Goldcar Europa and they come up very reasonable (5 doors & aircon (absolute must)). 

This will be my first time hiring/driving a car in spain, so the advice about legal requirements is great - I just wish Europe would standardise some of their rules and regulations as it is so easy to be caught out, and you know what they say - 'Ignorance is NO excuse'.

Can someone please help in recommending car hire companies, do all require payment for a full tank on arrival and do they reimburse if you return with half a tank - as I'm not sure how much driving I will be doing - I'm flying into Murcia !!

Regards Sharron

Like 0      
12 May 2007 10:16 AM by JeansSis Star rating. 2376 posts Send private message

JeansSis´s avatar

Like 0      
17 May 2007 8:02 PM by semijubilada Star rating in London/Torrevieja. 1052 posts Send private message

I've read this thread with interest as I've been hiring cars from Alicante and Murcia for over 3 years now.  From Alicante I normally use Record and book through rentspain which is Records broker site, and a bit cheaper than booking with them direct.  They have a fuel policy in which you take the car back with the same amount of petrol.  I take a hi vis vest in my hand luggage and have triangles and first aid kit stored in the house which I transfer to the car when I get there.

My last trip I used Doyouspain and Centauro, I wasn't asked to take out extra insurance for wheels and windows etc (Record do) and found later that a hi vis vest was in the passenger door.  Underneath the boot floor I found the warning triangles, couldn't find the spare bulbs.

I have seen the hi vis vests in poundland and warning triangles, thinking about it logically this law has been bought in for our safety and perhaps it should also be used here in UK.

My main reason for adding to this thread was to inform everyone on another thing to check for when you pick up your car.  In the glove box should be the insurance documentation for the car, before you leave check that it is valid for the duration of your trip.  Another hirer had there hire car impounded by Traffico until they could get replacement details.

Zena

Like 0      
19 May 2007 2:44 AM by FibbyUK Star rating in UK, Surrey & Playa F.... 2349 posts Send private message

FibbyUK´s avatar

Thanks Zena

Excellent info here for us all to take heed of.

Worth "bumping to the top"

Kind regards,

FibbyUK

One off fee to pay your own La Renta tax (210 Form)
Check out my website:

http://www.payingtaxesinspain210form.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/

Like 0      

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Paying Taxes in Spain (Non Residents) Donations to Emma's fund - 68 posts
Buying bedding - 11 posts
Eye on Spain review - Developers & Agents - 1 posts
General personal Spanish Tax - 6 posts
employment - 0 posts
new properties being built in the alicnte province are getting smaller? - 0 posts
Dream Hills 2 Forum - 1 posts
MAR Y SOL FORMENTERA DEL SEGURA - 10 posts
Cheap airport parking at Alicante - 3 posts
Technical Architect / Building Surveyor - 1 posts
Italy - 2 posts
Communal Areas - 10 posts
Can anyone help - 2 posts
Funny Videos you have to giggle at. - 255 posts
ADVICE NEEDED ON CHOOSING AN AREA TO LIVE - 11 posts
Cheap furniture packages - 34 posts
psi lawyers? - 21 posts
Apartment for rent - 1 posts
Lounge/Patio door curtains, free - Costa Blanca, 10 mins South of Torreveija - 9 posts
Where's Tinasolero ? - 3 posts
Shakira in concert in Torrevieja - 15 posts
Barclays Buying Property Abroad Guide - 1 posts
WHO'S UP FOR A MEET, POST HERE ! - 109 posts
Saladillo golf - 1 posts
The Best Place To Hide Money: Conversation With A Burglar - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 58

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 | 3 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x