Booking flights and paying in Euros

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
15 Nov 2008 12:00 AM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2626 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

I may be talking total rowlocks here, but this is my understanding of the current exchange rate. Because the £/ € is so low, it is more expensive for us to buy things in Euroland and cheaper for people from Euroland to buy in the UK. Why can't that work for us with our flights?

Before the plummet in exchange rate, I booked some flights with our Spanish debit card and paid in Sterling. The Sterling price was £332.80 and the Euro price debited to my account was €417.74 (unfortunately it doesn't give the rate applied, but about 1.25 by the looks of it. So that same flight would now cost only €388 using 1.17 which is a bit generous at the mo.

Mark

Like 0      
15 Nov 2008 12:36 PM by mark_thompson Star rating. 18 posts Send private message

Mark..

Where did you book to be able to play by debit card?? 

I tried all the online aireline sites but none would accept my electron debit card which is wierd as I can use it on most sites. I ended up driving to the airport to book in person.

Like 0      
15 Nov 2008 12:46 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2626 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

I booked with Ryanair. I used the electron card to avoid charges, but it would seem it benefitted me in other ways too!.

Mark

Like 0      
15 Nov 2008 4:46 PM by foxbat Star rating in Granada. 1112 posts Send private message

foxbat´s avatar

Monarch used to accept  Visa Electron when we used to book flight online from Granada to LGW.

Dont know about at the moment though because they pulled the plug on this very valuable service and we are boycotting them...

Ryanair positively encourage Visa Electron; all other froms of payment involve additional charges...even other debit cards...

fb

http://www.facebook.com/ruido.blanco.773

Like 0      
15 Nov 2008 4:49 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2626 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

Surely not all Spanish issued debit cards are electron though are they?

Mark

Like 0      
15 Nov 2008 4:55 PM by foxbat Star rating in Granada. 1112 posts Send private message

foxbat´s avatar

Dont know!

Ours are drawn on La Caixa and have the Visa Electron logo...

Anyone got a Spanish Debit Card that isnt?

fb

http://www.facebook.com/ruido.blanco.773

Like 0      
15 Nov 2008 5:33 PM by Karensun Star rating in Orihuela Costa. 1474 posts Send private message

Karensun´s avatar

mine from BBVA is Visa and the goldie credit card one from BBVA is Mastercard.

Now a non-smoker !  

Like 0      
24 Nov 2008 6:58 PM by hugh_man Star rating in Kent/Roda . 1593 posts Send private message

hugh_man´s avatar

Has anyone found that it is cheaper to book the return flight to UK once in Spain and using Spanish debit/credit card rather than booking return in UK?

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

The rain in Spain - 9 posts
The Compensation Letter - 2 posts
Riviera Del Sol - 2 posts
Skiing on the Sierra Nevada - 1 posts
just moved to Alcoy - 1 posts
Heating a house nr Los gallardos, almeria - 2 posts
el soto short course championships - 1 posts
golf tournament at el soto club de golf - 2 posts
Wood burning stoves - 2 posts
2 and half months for succesful execution of Bank Guarantee - 10 posts
Antiques for Sale - 0 posts
Christmas Shopping - 0 posts
Moving out early - 0 posts
help - 9 posts
Long term Rental Required - 6 posts
I don't want to start ANOTHER war...............BUT................. - 2 posts
Long term let required within walking distance of Estepona port - 0 posts
Did you see ?? - 14 posts
Lease cars - 0 posts
Dog Friendly Hotels - 7 posts
Music Lessons: Possible skill exchange witth Spanish Language lessons? - 0 posts
Ryanair stopping some flights - 10 posts
Finca wanted in Mijas Costa - 1 posts
Help For Heroes - 1 posts
Question for Maria re siezing of assets - 5 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 8

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x