Freesat

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
12 Jun 2008 12:00 AM by PVP Star rating in birmingham. 44 posts Send private message

Has anyone fixed up and got working a Freesat system yet in the Murcia region, for BBC ITV etc the launch is imminent has it been done yet cheers Paul

Like 0      
13 Jun 2008 10:48 AM by TechNoApe Star rating in Duquesa, Manilva. 1277 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

TechNoApe´s avatar
Hiya,

The Freesat service has already launched and should be available anywhere you can get Sky.

I purchased a good quality HD Satellite box from Maplins here in the UK. With this box, you can pick up from ANY satellite, and it picks up all HD and SD signals.

Cost of box was £159.00 which is about €198.00 and connects to ANY existing dish.

I will be in Spain in two weeks, and am bringing the box with me, so will let you know if it works. Can't see why it wouldn't work, as I've got a 1.8m dish and a Sky box in Spain (with freeview card), but still want to test it out.

If you want more info, here's the official website:

www.freesat.co.uk/

www.andalucianstyle.com

Me, the Mrs and Rosie too! But we'll never, ever forget our Tyler!

We support AAA Abandoned Animals Marbella - Do you?

Like 0      
13 Jun 2008 11:24 AM by mr.kevin Star rating in Costa Blanca. 189 posts Send private message

mr.kevin´s avatar
I don't have Freesat here in Albatera but do have Sky free to view. I believe the Freesat signals come from the transponders already used by Sky
Using Lygsat data downloaded from the net, you can see the frequencies you can get.

I have a 1.9 dish and get most of the channels most of the time.

Like 0      
13 Jun 2008 11:35 AM by TechNoApe Star rating in Duquesa, Manilva. 1277 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

TechNoApe´s avatar

That's right.

The Freesat signals do come from the same Astra sateliites, mainly the three at 28.2 degrees, and use the same transponder frequencies

You can get more info here:

www.brymar.co.uk/info/Astra/astra_sky/astra_sky.html

www.andalucianstyle.com

Like 0      
13 Jun 2008 11:47 AM by TechNoApe Star rating in Duquesa, Manilva. 1277 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

TechNoApe´s avatar
Also,

Freesat is broadcasting on the Astra 2D spot beam, so it produces the same level as the same channels on the sky platform, therefore you will still need a large dish in Spain. Where we are in Duquesa, we have a 1.8m dish, and can receive all the free-to-air channels, however when it rains, we lose signal.

This loss of signal is down to POOR DISH ALIGNMENT, and when I am out there again in two weeks, I will be re-aligning my own dish, as I am bringing my sat meter with me.

www.andalucianstyle.com

Like 0      
13 Jun 2008 2:16 PM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar
Contrary to earlier rumours, the Freesat channels are being broadcast on the same satellites (Astra 2 series) as Sky.  Therefore, the same size dish will be needed as the one you get Sky on.  You can get a lot of channels on a 1.2 metre dish but you will need a 1.8 metre dish to get most of them.  Unfortunately, last years' rumours of a 60 cm dish (or an old dustbin lid) were unfounded.  Astra sats are on 28.2 degs East so if you are setting one up, get a compass and line it up.  A signal metre is highly recommended.  ((Remember that that is 28.2 East of South - the satellite is above the equator so, being in the Northern hemisphere, you need to face South and then 28.2 degrees East is East of South - line your dish up with South, imagine that is 12 o'clock then 28.2 E is approximately 11 o'clock). 
If you are installing a big dish, please ensure you check with your community rules and those of the local authorities as fitting big satellite dishes in many places in Spain is illegal.  I'd hate to see any of you good guys being locked up because of some zealous council official.  Also, unless you are pretty good at the old DIY, get a proper firm (not a cowboy) to install the dish.  A big wind and these dishes can cause a lot of grief bowling down the street!!  Some of your neighbours might not take too kindly have a massive piece of metal attached to a not very well fixed metal pole slamming into their new 4x4. 
A satellite finder kit (for tuning in correctly) doesn't need expensive spectrum analyzers which can cost hundreds of quiddos.  Maplin UK has a satellite finder kit, which includes a compass, signal strength meter and battery charger for around 30 quid or one that even shows how to align the LNB as well as the dish for about 60 quid. 

Like 0      
13 Jun 2008 2:40 PM by TechNoApe Star rating in Duquesa, Manilva. 1277 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

TechNoApe´s avatar
Hi Bob,

Exactly what I said.

Also, that's the kit I got from Maplin, I used it to re-align my dish here in the UK.

And I totally agree with what you said about having the dish installed by a reputable firm and 1st checking that you are allowed to install the dish.

www.andalucianstyle.com

Like 0      
13 Jun 2008 4:29 PM by steve&hayley Star rating. 33 posts Send private message

Hi
Does any one know of a good installer in the cox area nr murcia, was quoted 1000e but told the fella i fly to spain on ryan air, not on a BANNANA boat.

Thanx for your help back over on 5th july for a week

Steve

Like 0      
13 Jun 2008 4:57 PM by Gillespie Star rating in Costa Calida Area. 608 posts Send private message

Gillespie´s avatar

I get all the free to air package through my sky dish and pay for the family package to get discovery, history etc + all music channels etc.

My dish is 1.45mtrs.  That is all you need in Murcia to get a good signal.  Never have any problems except when it is pooring with rain.

The quality of the box is important though.

Business advice and consultancy - Visit www.calidain2business.com

Calida in2 Business - Spanish Property Clearance.

www.spanishpropertyclearance.com

Like 0      
13 Jun 2008 9:13 PM by TechNoApe Star rating in Duquesa, Manilva. 1277 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

TechNoApe´s avatar
Steve & Hayley,

LOL! Yup! You gotta watch these so-called 'professionals' as they will try 'n rip you off left, right and centre.

The price for a 1.8m dish + Sky Box + Install is around €500 - €600 along the CDS at the mo, however I used to think that this price was a little bit high.

However, when you think how much the dish (£80), LNB (£20) and Sky box (£200) costs, as they won't get any allowances from Sky, then you're looking at £300, which is about €375. 

Then add the cost of a few metres of good quality sat co-ax cable, your talking £2 per metre for the cable with an average of no more than 10 metres per installation, and then say £60 for the installation (Sky's standard install price). Total installation cost is then £80, which is about €100.

Total cost would be €475 and then there is the matter of a little piece of plastic, that resembles a credit card (ahem)

So, €500 or so is about right, when you think what your getting

www.andalucianstyle.com

Like 0      
13 Jun 2008 9:28 PM by TechNoApe Star rating in Duquesa, Manilva. 1277 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

TechNoApe´s avatar
Gillespie,

I would say that your dish is slightly of perfect alignment, as when it rains, the dish moves half a degree (that's all you need), and then you lose signal.

My dish here in the UK did that for years, and I was told the same old story about: "when the dish gets wet, it can't focus (collate) the signal, blah, blah, blah"

All I can say to that statement, what a load of b@ll@cks!!!

I re-aligned my sat dish to use to strongest STABLE signal, whch was 88% , and since then (almost 3 years ago) I have NEVER lost signal due to rain, not even during really stormy weather (got an occasional blip). Before I re-aligned the dish, it was bouncing around from 93% down to 77%, then back up to 89% then back down to 54% and it was doing this on a bright, sunny day! Basically the installer just went for the STRONGEST signal level, which is wrong!

This message was last edited by TechNoApe on 6/13/2008.

www.andalucianstyle.com

Like 0      
13 Jun 2008 10:21 PM by PVP Star rating in birmingham. 44 posts Send private message

Many thanks boys I have made notes of the relevant info you have given me, in my little book, one thing to check after you have set up your LNB is to offset it slightly as we are not on the Equator this may bring in a better stronger signal,  its often forgotten by a lot of people and thanks again cheers see you all soon Paul

Like 0      
14 Jun 2008 11:27 AM by Kev K Star rating in Cork, Ireland, Olivi.... 141 posts Send private message

Kev K´s avatar
Hi
Just been reading the posts. Here is a link  to a company that we used with no problems.free sat tv murcia. Priced around a lot of places. Have a look see what you think. I sent them an email with some questions we had as we are in Ireland and they got back to us straight away.

hope this is of some help.

Like 0      
24 Jan 2010 6:39 PM by evebrady Star rating in We live just outside.... 26 posts Send private message

evebrady´s avatar

Hello,

We own two apartments in Guardamar Del Segura which we let all year round. We recently had a chap come in to link us up with the communal satellite dish (both apartments £780) but its not working at all...this is a long story and for another forum but I have to tell you that I am really disappointed, since the system was only fitted first in one apartment in June and in the other in October and despite a two year guarantee the engineer is winging about haven’t to go back to ensure that its working for our elderly guests who are currently renting the apartments. We have been chasing him up for two weeks now since we have no TV in either apartment but calls go through to voicemail and e-mails/texts are not being responded to!

My...point sorry! My point is that I have just bought two 22" TV's here in the uk with DVD and freeview and I am going over to Spain on Wednesday this week to see if the problem is with the old Spanish TV's which we have there, since our neighbors who had the same system fitted in October by the same chap to the same dish is working on a flat screen British TV which is the same spec and the two which I am going to take over with me...are you still with me or with the woolwich ha ha!?

I have been assured that these TV's will work but will I be able to receive the freeview like we do here in the UK in Guardamar? Also does anyone know a good, reliable, honest satellite engineer who works in the Guardamar region if so please would you give him my telephone number and ask him or her to call me. I must have the TV system sorted and up and running for our guests before we I leave spain on Sunday as I am not returning again till may! My telephone number is +44 07778163901, I always have my mobile with me but I am a community midwife here in the UK and if I am duty when I receive a call from the engineer, I my have to call him back!

Looking forward to hearing from whoever can help me... Eve x

Like 0      
30 Dec 2010 8:40 PM by mrskytv Star rating in Alicante & Malaga. 31 posts Send private message

mrskytv´s avatar

FREEVIEW Televisions will NOT work in Spain as FREEVIEW is a terestrial TV signal broadcast in UK, you can use FREESAT Televisions in Spain and at the moment the best postcode to use on the Costa Blanca is an Oxford post code, I have imported several FREESAT televisions for customers and have had great results. The main benfit is the lack of cables as the satellite receiver is built in to the TV.

Hope that is of help.

Like 0      
31 Dec 2010 2:58 AM by kev2006n Star rating in Sussex and Playa Fla.... 344 posts Send private message

Could I bring out my Sony freeview TV and use it to get TDT digital TV or would I need to hook up a seperate box? Thank you.

Like 0      
31 Dec 2010 9:13 AM by mrskytv Star rating in Alicante & Malaga. 31 posts Send private message

mrskytv´s avatar

FREEVIEW Televisions will NOT work in Spain as FREEVIEW is a terestrial TV signal broadcast in UK, NOT Spain. You can use the TV in Spain with a SKY or FREESAT satellite system or with a TDT arial & box but you will not receive FREEVIEW. where are you moving to in Spain?

Like 0      
31 Dec 2010 9:36 AM by kev2006n Star rating in Sussex and Playa Fla.... 344 posts Send private message

Thanks for the reply. Our place is in Playa Flamenca just south of Torrevieja.

Like 0      
31 Dec 2010 7:05 PM by mrskytv Star rating in Alicante & Malaga. 31 posts Send private message

mrskytv´s avatar

OK if you get stuck gimme a buzz. Best of luck with move.

Cheers MRSKYTV

Like 0      
01 Jan 2011 9:07 AM by mr.kevin Star rating in Costa Blanca. 189 posts Send private message

mr.kevin´s avatar

Most "Freeview" boxes from the UK work well here in Spain, you cannot of course get UK freeview channels though, you will get the Spanish version digital tv.

My Sony Bravia with built in freeview works well on the local digital system.

You will need a big sat dish and box, either Sky or a generic sat box to get UK tv though.

Bring all you tv gear out here with you and givie it a try.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Map of Airports in Spain - 0 posts
Swindles to real estates agents inTorrevieja Area - 0 posts
rental needed in costa del sol - 0 posts
Blog Help..................PLEASE - 6 posts
Rent to Buy - 4 posts
Pre existing health conditions - 9 posts
Do you own a shop or know of a wholesalers in spain? - 1 posts
Complaints against the Police - 0 posts
ideas on training for work please? - 4 posts
Legal fees - 0 posts
Surge Protector - 1 posts
Orihuela judge applying UK Law to a case - 3 posts
Spain for UEFA 2008 - 14 posts
Has anyone completed and taken advantage of the rental guarantee - 1 posts
Large items and the Spanish postal service - 7 posts
HP printer info please - 4 posts
EOS Meet - 21 posts
Moving to spain for 1 year..initially.. - 6 posts
Dishwasher Engineer - 3 posts
Hi new member-Polaris World - 2 posts
revenge.....my stupid girlfriend just........ - 0 posts
revenge.....my stupid girlfriend just........ - 0 posts
Looking for unfurnished Apartment in Sabinillas - 0 posts
Ford dealers near Mojacar/Vera - 4 posts
whats the difference between...................... - 3 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 21

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x