Moving to Spain next year.......Just A few questions!

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
25 Apr 2008 12:00 AM by Gail1980 Star rating. 11 posts Send private message

Hi I'm Gail,
I'm a 27 year old mum of 2 girls aged 5 and 8 I am married to Andy and we live in West Yorkshire,
I am currently a student Nurse at in the and I qualify in September 2009,
When I qualify we are hoping to move permanantly to Spain, I have been wanting to move to Spain for a few years, I love the thought of the climate the and the relaxed lifestyle, we have a mortgage in the UK and also a lot of equity so we are hoping to buy a cheaper house in Spain and hopefully reduce our mortgage, so then we will have less stress etc.., I am hoping to find work in a local hospital or health centre, and Andy will be in charge of the kids and house until he finds work,( he is a bit worried about the language barrier), we are also unsure about Spanish schools?, will the girls find it hard to fit in as they don't speak Spanish, can anyone recommend a Spanish language course for children?,
Also we are not sure where in Spain to move? have been looking at Murcia and Costa Calida, does anyone live there?
sorry for all the questions!!!,
Thanks, Gail xxx 

Like 0      
25 Apr 2008 11:02 AM by J&N Star rating in Nottinghamshire. 342 posts Send private message

J&N´s avatar

Hi Gail, welcome to the forum. We're just about to move to Spain having spent the last year organising it, so I know how many questions are going through your mind. Have a look at the articles on Living in Spain, from the menu above, there is a whole section on kids in Spain and covers schooling etc, plus a really good article from the kids pint of view. There is also a thread on here about the best ways to learn Spanish and you will find a number of suggestions on there.

I found just reading all the various threads on here made me aware of questions I didn't even know I needed to ask, and there is always someone with an answer, a lot of the basics will have already been covered and the information will be here, it's just sometimes a case of finding it.

We were originally thinking of moving to Murcia but after a few trips have decided we like to countryside of Almeria better, and so we are of in 2 weeks.

Best of luck with your research and I hope you all achieve your dream.

Jacqui

Edited: Spelling mistakes - oops!

Countdown Clocks at WishAFriend.com

This message was last edited by J&N on 4/25/2008.

Jacqui

http://relocatetospain.blogspot.com our adventure from deciding to move to Spain to being here and moving back to the UK.

Like 0      
25 Apr 2008 11:51 AM by SophieRF Star rating in Quesada. 62 posts Send private message

Hi Gail,

Some of the Spanish schools now have classes for international pupils were they are taught in Englaish, but get to integrate with the Spanish and learn the language. I have a friend who has a 2 yeard old who goes to a Spanish nursery, he didnt speak english or spanish before they moved over to spain (they are icelandic) and now after a cpl of months he is talking in Spanish more than in Icelandic, he has done really well, at a young age they seem to pick  it up very easily.

All the best

Like 0      
25 Apr 2008 11:53 AM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Gail

As Jacqui said check out the endless threads in these, click on blue links.

Moving to Spain   Working in Spain   Living in Spain   Learning Spanish   Kids stuff

Like 0      
25 Apr 2008 12:57 PM by Gail1980 Star rating. 11 posts Send private message

Thanks for all the replies!,
Does anyone know more about the Murcia area? I am open to ideas and suggestions so if anyone can reccommend any other areas with good schools and facilities I will be grateful x

Like 0      
25 Apr 2008 1:26 PM by georgia Star rating in Algorfa (As seen on .... 1835 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

georgia´s avatar

Hi Gail,

Have tou tried contacting Torrevieja Hospital.

It hasn't been open that long but is winning awards and praise for it high standars in cleanliness and quality.

The reason i am posting this as i know they were recruiting for both British and English speaking staff.

There are some lovely surrounding areas to live in with great schools about 30 mins drive to the hospital.

Just an idea

Regards

Georgia

Like 0      
25 Apr 2008 6:08 PM by rowlandsbb Star rating in Gloucestershire &Hue.... 779 posts Send private message

rowlandsbb´s avatar

As a qualified nurse you will find good jobs anywhere in the world including Spain

The Spanish schools cater for young children and the language is normally only a problem for the parents even after a relative short time

Costa Blanca is probably the best location as you will be close to all the up to date [ Sports Centres etc] that a family needs and you can live a little inland and still have a Spanish environment

Almeria which I like a lot does have all the facilities but is a touch quieter and about 25 mins you can get a 2 bed 2 bath villa  400m2 plot close to a busy town with Sports Centre. Olympic pool from circa £136.000  

Costa Blanca 2 bed maisonettes from circa £84,000 and a really nice 3 bed villa with pool about 10 mins or so from coats from £192.000

Plan your move... many have found the life style change great.....but only those who take a realistic approach stay and never look back   

Like 0      
25 Apr 2008 7:41 PM by Gail1980 Star rating. 11 posts Send private message

Hi again,
Georgia- I will definately contact the Torrevieja Hospital to enquire about the possibility of work there in the future, is this a nice area to live?,
rowlandsbb- Costa blanca and Almeria both sound good, I like the Idea of Almeria being a bit quieter, the house prices sound okay too,
Ive seen a loads of cheap houses and  ruins on Spanish property websites for around £50,000 but they seem to need loads of work and are in the middle of nowhere!

Like 0      
26 Apr 2008 8:45 AM by rowlandsbb Star rating in Gloucestershire &Hue.... 779 posts Send private message

rowlandsbb´s avatar
Cheap country properties and ruins come with problems..they can be sorted but you have to make sure that there is a good title and with ruins that you comply with all the legalities....not an easy option and one that most people find gives them a lot of worry ....do not take any risks!

Like 0      
26 Apr 2008 9:21 AM by georgia Star rating in Algorfa (As seen on .... 1835 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

georgia´s avatar

hi gail,

The area i live in is about 25 mins from the hospital and the Spanish call it the "huerta de europa" orchard of europe, you can get property with beautiful surroundings but also close to all the amenities,ie banks,shops,schools,dance clubs and on and on.......

Its a happy medium between being out in the mountains and slap bang in the middle of the town.

You will find some ruins very cheap but also very isolated and a lot of work.

I wouldnt recomend this to anyone with a young family as it can be a very painstaking process.

Moving to a new county with a family can be stressful enough without taking on a building project in a somewhere that you are unfamiliar with the associated rules and laws.

Good luck.

Kind Regards

Georgia

Like 0      
26 Apr 2008 1:12 PM by Gail1980 Star rating. 11 posts Send private message

Where abouts do you live Georgia? could you give me more info about house prices, schools etc.. Thanks x

Like 0      
27 Apr 2008 9:30 AM by ayrez Star rating in La Marina Oasis. 379 posts Send private message

Hello Gail

You could still buy in Murcia and travel to Torrevieja hospital from Murcia if you use the new motorway. There is a toll of about  2.5 euros in summer and less in winter but you could be there in about 40 mins. We had our first property in Cuidad Quesada but decided urbanisation life was not for us. We also looked in Almeria for country properties but decided we prefered Murcia. Now we have good shopping facilities, motorways and new airport due late 2009 /2010. If you need any further info please PM me.

Jean

Like 0      
27 Apr 2008 12:05 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Hi Jean, good thinking.  More options for Gail.

We fly into Murcia & drive partly along the AP7 motorway (towards Alicante) to just before the toll booth then drive along the N332 to Guardamar (another 15 mins north of the new hospital) & that takes around 40 - 45 mins though there are speed issues whilst the N332 is being widened. (40 often is the norm ) We could whizz along the AP7 all the way to Quesada but prefer the half/half way. We get to see what's been happening through the built up areas.

Like 0      
27 Apr 2008 12:36 PM by Acapulco Star rating in Costa Blanca South.. 342 posts Send private message

Acapulco´s avatar
So you find Murcia easier to fly into than Alicante More.Then I assume you hire a car at the airport.Just asking for obvious reasons.

If you're going through hell keep on going, you might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

Like 0      
27 Apr 2008 12:53 PM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar
Murcia airport is much easier to get in and out of than Alicante although it has limited facilities.  Hiring a car is easy as, all except one, are on the airport and in the baggage arrivals bit.  The off airport one is moving into the airport very soon.  You can get your car sorted while the bags are arriving which saves time.  About 20 to 25 minutes drive to Torrevieja as opposed to 40 from Alicante and even less to places like Cartagena, Murcia and Almeria.
Regarding work as a nurse, not just the hospital in Torrevieja but some of the medical centres were advertising for British nurses last year due to the high proportion of expats in the area.  Quesada was one such place but don't know if they are still looking.
Schools in Torrevieja are plentiful but look on the threads regarding this.  Also look at Healthcare.  Murcia and Almeria don't give carte blanche healthcare regardless of age, unilke the Torrevieja/Alicante areas which provide free cover to all residents.  This may change in the future.  You don't need to live in Torrevieja itself, even though there are some nice places there, as there are lots of towns in the area with good facilities.  El Galan, San Pedro, Quesada, San Miguel, Guardamar, Rojales to name just a few.  I know El Galan has a regular school pick-up bus and quite a lot of kids (all nationalities) use it to get back and forth and I imagine most of the other places do too.
House prices are no longer cheap in Spain.  The days of the 50 grand house with swimming pool are long gone, I'm afraid.  Prices are not that far behind UK with a 3 bed house costing £140,000 and up but, due to the so-called housing crisis, there are some bargains to be found with decent ones around 120K.  Don't forget to add 10% for expenses and taxes.
Would also agree that rural housing (ex finca etc.) can be very isolated and not much good for kids who will be looking to mix with friends and have swimming pools/beaches etc close by. 
Good luck with your search. 

Like 0      
27 Apr 2008 1:22 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Hi Acapulco

We find Murcia so much less stressful as it's so much smaller & timings from Bristol & back to Bristol are more to our taste. We generally arrive at Murcia 8.20pm, depending when we travel, Sundays a little earlier. We often get back into Bristol 10.25pm too so home by prearranged taxi for 11.30pm or before that as we're only a 25 min drive at Weston Super Mare.

Only one flight into Murcia, one flight out each day unlike Alicante that has two each way daily. Murcia only has flights on alternate days in winter too from Bristol. We then fly into Alicante though time's now not the issue it was, so Murcia for us.

From Murcia you can get on the AP7 motorway & drive all the way to the exit for Quesada too. We tend to drive so far on AP7 then come off onto the N332 just before the toll booth as we enjoy driving through the built up areas of Playa Flamenca, La Zenia & Cabo Roig. Plenty of supermarkets often still open if you're lucky too. We aren't far from N332 either just outside Guardamar.

We have been using Auriga Crown, the off site hire car (through http://www.doyouspain.com/ ) It's going to be within the airport soon but we are going to try Econorent through http://www.hirecarsinspain.com/ Econorent guarantee a full/full fuel & only charge 16€ per hire period for extra insurance to cover tyres, underside, windscreen. Janeb on here recommended them to us on the forum. Cheaper too.

This message was last edited by morerosado on 4/27/2008.

Like 0      
27 Apr 2008 8:52 PM by Gail1980 Star rating. 11 posts Send private message

Thanks for all the kind advise I really appriciate it , Its very daunting but also very exciting just thinking about moving to Spain!, I don't know what I'll be like when I get nearer the move,
The thing that worries me most is the girls schooling, I want to make sure that they are happy, make friends and do well in school, they will be 6 and 9 when we move, I was planning on them going to a Spanish school, but I'm not sure if they will cope with the language barrier

Like 0      
27 Apr 2008 9:06 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

From what I've read on forums, Gail, most youngsters of that age cope well. At least there'll be two learning & at the same school. There will obviously be some who don't but you will have time to help them before going.

Look in HERE all about children learning Spanish, words, songs etc. See Spanish toys too which have lots of things for kids in Spanish so you can prepare them.

Like 0      
27 Apr 2008 10:32 PM by mazz66 Star rating in los montesinos. 28 posts Send private message

Hi Gail, my youngest son was 9  my eldest 11 when we moved here and they both love it here,  after a couple of months of private spanish classes we threw them in at the deep end and sent them  to spanish school. I think the first day was harder for us parents than the boys and we spent all day worrying about them only for them to come home full of it.  Looking back they took it all in their stride and it only took a couple of months for them to be talking enough spanish to do the same school work as the spanish children.  5 years on my eldest is due to leave school in june and go to college and i couldnt be prouder of them both.  I know you will worry but im sure youll find it easier once you are here. Good luck with your move

Like 0      
28 Apr 2008 10:03 AM by Gail1980 Star rating. 11 posts Send private message

Thanks for the reassurance,
Its nice to know that other people have been through the same thing and things have turned out well, My eldest daughter has been bullied at school in the past so is quite sensitive, I'm less worried about my 5 year old as she is younger and quite easy going, nothing seems to bother her!,
I'm going to do some more research on areas, and then hopefully have a few visits later on in the year,
I really like the sound of Almeria and Murcia- is Torrevieja in Murcia?,  and does anyone live in the surrounding towns/villages of 
El Galan, San Pedro, Quesada, San Miguel, Guardamar, Rojales? 

Like 0      

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Wonderful hotels, restaurants, theatres... in COSTA DE LA LUZ!!! A taste for the weekend - 1 posts
A good estate agent in Torreblanca/Fuengirola - 5 posts
Vagamar2 Rafal. Whats going on!!! - 3 posts
El Vegetariano Restaurant Altea - 0 posts
HACIENDA SAN MANUEL - 0 posts
EOS has a car named after it! - 8 posts
Britons retiring abroad - 1 posts
Bumps in the Night. - 3 posts
Hi all Mark & Sandy Introduction - 3 posts
Justin, help required please regarding PMs to new members.. - 73 posts
Happy St. George's Day - 4 posts
Hi & help needed - 7 posts
Manchester to Gib - 2 posts
Rental needed ASAP with intetrnet connection - 7 posts
Interested in an Almeria Agency - 7 posts
HELP WITH COACH TRIPS TO MURCIA PLEASE - 2 posts
VeryHelpful Web Addresses - 0 posts
Is it any wonder... - 8 posts
phase 2 - 0 posts
Advice From Estate Agents Please - 3 posts
Heard of Ready Rental Property??? - 170 posts
Wanted 3 or 4 bed Long Term Let La Nucia, Alfas, Benidorm etc - 0 posts
Aifos Hypodromo - 1 posts
property exchange - 0 posts
Has anyone done their own removals? - 4 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 49

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 | 3 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x