I.V.F. and completion

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
25 Jan 2007 12:00 AM by formentera costa Star rating. 368 posts Send private message

can anyone help, we have bought an apartment off plan in spain. the cost is approx 100,000 euros, we have paid 75% up till now  and have to pay the other 25% shortly when we complete. we have been told that when we pay the other 25,000 euros that the builder will probably ask for a bankers draft of 15,000 euros and the rest in cash, and that when we sign the deeds the builder will declare the property price as 90,000 euros ie 75,000 already paid plus 15,000 euros  from bankers draft and pocket the 10,000 cash. apparantly this is a common practice is spain. what we want to know is if the apartment price is declared as costing 90,000 euros when we have actually paid 100,ooo euros then are we only liable to pay 7% of the I.V.A. on the 90,000 euros and not on the 100,000 euros. Any replies would be very much appreciated. I

coolyes

Like 0      
25 Jan 2007 11:16 AM by redman Star rating. 235 posts Send private message

This unfortunately is what they call dark money and is (as far as I'm aware) illegal.

It is aimed at saving you money because you only pay tax on the declared monies.  Although on the face of it it might be saving you money (i.e. you would not pay tax on the 10000 cash), the problem is that in the long term, if you decide to sell up and it is your second home or holiday home, the Capital Gains Tax you pay is often calculated by taking the initial declared value (i.e. 90000) and the sale price.  So you would end up paying 18% (was 35% last year) on the 10000 and not 7%.

I'm not an expert and you probably should seek advice.  I don't know if smiley can help perhaps?

Regards,

Steve.

Like 0      
25 Jan 2007 12:25 PM by JeansSis Star rating. 2376 posts Send private message

JeansSis´s avatar

This message was last edited by JeansSis on 5/16/2007.

Like 0      
26 Jan 2007 12:39 AM by Smiley Star rating in San Pedro de Alcanta.... 2502 posts Send private message

Smiley´s avatar
HI Formentora both Redman and JeanSis are right - dont do it - tell your brief you want to declare at the real price - yes you save the IVA now but then you have the CGT later. If the Land Registry suspect conspiracy to defraud they will tell the tax office who in turn will do their own assessment and then demand payment of the previous owners debt from you as the charge now lies on the property (which is yours) they can insist on payment within 28 days and there will be a further 20% penalty. Also check that the builder pays the PlusValia - a tax on the increased value of the land since he bought it. Spookily enough it can sometimes be forgotten. That applies to any property in fact and any purchaser should ensure they check the vendor deals with it not the purchaser unless previously agreed. 

Smiley - patrick@marbellamortgages.com  www.marbellamortgages.com   www.comparetravelcash.co.uk

Like 0      
26 Jan 2007 12:03 PM by Plunket Star rating in Benalmadena, Costa D.... 36 posts Send private message

Plunket´s avatar
Our lawyer told us of a recent case where people were arrested at the Notary´s Office when they tried to complete on a property purchase with a percentage of the money in cash.  Beware!

Like 0      
26 Jan 2007 2:05 PM by JeansSis Star rating. 2376 posts Send private message

JeansSis´s avatar

This message was last edited by JeansSis on 5/16/2007.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

air conditioning - 3 posts
Healthcare in the UK - 37 posts
Individual Room Sizes - 13 posts
Spanish wills link - 0 posts
furniture for new home - 0 posts
Superbowl - 1 posts
importing furniture from USA - 1 posts
entregolf - 18 posts
Changing Law Firm After Inital 3000e deposit is paid - Difficult? - 2 posts
Solicitors Costs - 5 posts
Hire cars in Spain - saving money - 1 posts
Want to move to Spain - 9 posts
SAY "NO" to 0870 - 1 posts
Is CGT in addition to normal income Tax? - 1 posts
Healthcare Costa del Sol - 9 posts
Bias voting with proxy votes - 16 posts
HAPPY EVERY DAY CHAT - 617 posts
Punta Plata Estepona - 10 posts
Marbella Property Scandal - 8 posts
Where have YOU bought ? - 16 posts
security - 3 posts
seccurity - 0 posts
Las Vistas de Santa Maria Golf - 5 posts
Radio phone-in on Marbella planning - 0 posts
Help swell Emma's fund - I will donate £4 for every guide sold - 98 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 6

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x