Individual Room Sizes

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
24 Jan 2007 12:00 AM by salsy29 Star rating. 29 posts Send private message

I am buying a property off plan and my contract only tells me the total sq metres of my apartment. I have been advised to get the individual room sizes because apparently our developers have a habit of building undersized apartments. Through my lawyers I have requested this information and have been told that the developers, by law have no legal obligation to pass on this information. Does any one know if this is right. Appreciate any feed backs on this subject. 

Like 0      
24 Jan 2007 11:03 PM by miket Star rating in La Mairena, Elviria. 371 posts Send private message

Salsy,

You are absolutely correct to ask as many questions has you feel necessary about your purchase both from your solicitor, the promoter or directly to the Developer! Don't be fobbed off and continue to make a nuisance of yourself with all concerned. Most brochures and marketing materials tend to publish the built size of any building that often includes the whole area of the internal space built. This can include the thickness of the internal walls, storage rooms and even built in wardrobe spaces etc!  Even the walkways up to your front door have been known to be included in the overall measurements!

Many spanish buyers ask the simple question; What is the size of the living space inside the property? excluding terraces etc. Many British buyers including myself fail to ask enough questions before making a legal commitment to purchase!

Good look

Mike T

Like 0      
24 Jan 2007 11:31 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar
There may well be no legal obligation to pass on precise room measurements - I don't know, but this information must be available, since precise plans of the property to be built must have been submitted and approved in order to get a building licence (licencia de obra) from the council. See if you can get a copy of these plans included as an annex to your contract. However, I think you will probably find that your contract will say somewhere (in very small print) that the developer reserves the right to make alterations as deemed necessary. Whilst any major changes to the original project will have to be re-submitted and approved by the planning department, I wouldn't start buying your furniture until the place is finished and you can take your own measurements!

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
24 Jan 2007 11:49 PM by JeansSis Star rating. 2376 posts Send private message

JeansSis´s avatar

This message was last edited by JeansSis on 5/19/2007.

Like 0      
24 Jan 2007 11:59 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar
Like I said....best wait until you have the keys to order any furniture etc!

Mark Twain

Like 0      
10 Feb 2007 12:11 AM by RG Star rating. 299 posts Send private message

I agree with Roberto and I from day one decided not to buy any furniture / furnishings until the key is firmly in the hand. Just as well I stuck with this decision as during a recent trip to our development I found that the developers have made the master bedroom almost half a metre shorter then in the original plans which forms part of the private contract. Also officialy completion was supposed to be in Nov 2006 but currently I do not see this happening till at least April / May what would I have done with any furniture bought thinking that completion will be in Nov 2006?

Like 0      
10 Feb 2007 8:45 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar
Just as a point of interest, does anybody know where you can buy furniture as small as that shown by promotors on their plans? As room sizes get smaller and smaller, perhaps there is a new "emerging" market for dolls house furniture?

Mark Twain

Like 0      
21 Feb 2007 9:10 AM by FibbyUK Star rating in UK, Surrey & Playa F.... 2349 posts Send private message

FibbyUK´s avatar

I totally agree about sizes within your off plan property.

I think I may have posted something on here about it last week?

When we all got our keys in our apatment block, people started to compare sizes, as we all had different kitchen cupboards.

Sme people had smaller hallways, some had smaller bathrooms and you can imagine the ladies that had the bigger kitchens! They had more cupboard space than us and we were all gutted! After all, they had sooo much more space to store their wine than I did!

It seems that the builders build the shell as to the overall size on the plans, then seperate the units up and whoops, if they build a wall or two out of sync, who cares? they just carry on! Must be something to do with siestas, wines etc.,

Oh yes, they DO drink wine on their siestas, I have seen it on the building site in front of our apartments!

Can you imagine that in the UK, coming back at 2pm after downing a bottle of red plonk! Unheard of!

Anyway, back to the subject, I agree, don't by any furniture picked out specifically to fit in any of your rooms. Furniture packs are ok to order, they fit in most places, although we have got a bedside table in lounge that wouldn't go in the 2nd bedroom, handy to store extra bills in tho! LOL!

Rgds,

FibbyUK

One off fee to pay your own La Renta tax (210 Form)
Check out my website:

http://www.payingtaxesinspain210form.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/

Like 0      
21 Feb 2007 10:10 AM by xetog Star rating in Wiltshire/holiday ap.... 514 posts Send private message

I sympathise with those who cannot see any correlation between the furniture shown in the builders plans and real life.  We have a plan scaled at 1:100 and a bedroom shown with a bed right across the room with space to walk past the end and the room scales 2m wide (6'6")  That's a standard bed length! so the bed indicated scales at 1.8m (6'), which is too short for the average 5'10" male. 

Also at 1:100 (usually photocopied) 1mm represents 4" and yet I bet, if you complain about the finished article varying from the plan by 1mm, you would belaughed out of the builders office.

Mike

Like 0      
21 Feb 2007 6:01 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar
...and by the way, don't even bother getting a spirit level out to check walls and surfaces etc. You'll only end up getting more stressed. Better to grab that bottle of Rioja and chill......

Mark Twain

Like 0      
24 Feb 2007 7:26 PM by san miguel Star rating. 288 posts Send private message

san miguel´s avatar

This message was last edited by san miguel on 3/19/2007.

STOP CYBER-BULLYING 

AND PRACTICE WHAT YOU PREACH

Like 0      
03 Apr 2007 3:22 PM by Ray Apperley Star rating in Gloucestershire. 18 posts Send private message

Pueblo Blanco.

I wonder what is the use of being supplied with signed off plans, as our developer seems to make changes, many of which we do not like, and then lies about why the changes had to be made.  Has anyone had experience in stopping some of the changes happening and insisting that the build is as the plan.

Our contact allows for changes if these are made on instructions of the Planning Authority for technical reasons. We do not seem to be getting anywhere, and we are losing 2 windows one of which we really want.  We have also lost a bath, a bidet, and a walk in wardrobe.

Like 0      
03 Apr 2007 8:09 PM by plexx Star rating in Hertfordshire & Elvi.... 131 posts Send private message

plexx´s avatar

Ray,
On our development, we found that they had bricked planned patio doors to half height and had placed a thick rendered pillar in the corner of the living room where there were supposed to be sleek corner patio doors. Due to some excellent pressure from purchasers who spotted it first, the patio doors were opened up, (well, most of them) but I had to settle for compensation for the pillar. We found that the developers just ignored all communications until we employed a barrister. Then they knew we meant business and responded quickly. We settled via direct negotiation. It's hard to stop changes once they are done (stable doors and bolting horses etc). So, you are left with trying to rescind the contract, or get compensation. As far as rescinding the contract is concerened, I was told you will have to prove to the court that the changes are so substantial that they negate the reason you purchased the property in the first place. So, it's a question of degrees. In my case, not so critical, but in yours, you seem to have lost a lot. Is the overall size comparable with the original plan? Certainly, litigation is not for the faint hearted, as no doubt others on this forum will tell you. It is expensive and time consuming, with no guaranteed result. By the way, the amendments to our properties had been passed by the town hall, but we had no idea about any application. Good luck.

Like 0      
08 Apr 2007 10:42 PM by Ambre Solaire Star rating. 36 posts Send private message

Ray

PUEBLO BLANCO -  IZNAJAR - ALLIED DEVELOPMENT

Can you confirm whether the overall size of the property has been reduced from the original plans ? 

Do you know whether other purchasers are aware of the amendments ?

Lets hope you can make a stand with the other purchasers to ensure you "get  what you purchased"

Regards

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Spanish wills link - 0 posts
furniture for new home - 0 posts
Superbowl - 1 posts
importing furniture from USA - 1 posts
entregolf - 18 posts
Changing Law Firm After Inital 3000e deposit is paid - Difficult? - 2 posts
Solicitors Costs - 5 posts
Hire cars in Spain - saving money - 1 posts
Want to move to Spain - 9 posts
SAY "NO" to 0870 - 1 posts
Is CGT in addition to normal income Tax? - 1 posts
Healthcare Costa del Sol - 9 posts
Bias voting with proxy votes - 16 posts
HAPPY EVERY DAY CHAT - 617 posts
Punta Plata Estepona - 10 posts
Marbella Property Scandal - 8 posts
Where have YOU bought ? - 16 posts
security - 3 posts
seccurity - 0 posts
Las Vistas de Santa Maria Golf - 5 posts
Radio phone-in on Marbella planning - 0 posts
Help swell Emma's fund - I will donate £4 for every guide sold - 98 posts
Oh JUSTIN-N-N-N......... - 4 posts
Info on Urb. La Marina - 1 posts
First Post - 5 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 14

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x