San Javier extension

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
07 Dec 2007 12:00 AM by jdm Star rating. 3 posts Send private message

Hi

I know San Javier airport operating hours will be extended by the addaition of a new runway.  The flight path, depending on which direction being used is over Los Alcazares.   When approaching from the south, do the planes come in over the sea and then then turn right for final approach?  Do they do the same for southerly take-off ie bank left over the sea shortly after take off.

Thanks

Jack

Like 0      
07 Dec 2007 10:39 AM by FibbyUK Star rating in UK, Surrey & Playa F.... 2349 posts Send private message

FibbyUK´s avatar

Hi JDM

When we fly to Murcia (San Javier), the planes coming in from the North (UK), are over the sea, then do a right turn for final approach. 

Flying out of the airport, I am sure they go inland, then turn right either going up the coast or over the sea.

However, we own in Paya Flamenca overlooking the sea and it is very rare to see planes going either way over the sea!

So not sure, where they turn for the sea approach..............hope this helps......sounds a bit gobble de gook to read what I said!!!

FibbyUK

One off fee to pay your own La Renta tax (210 Form)
Check out my website:

http://www.payingtaxesinspain210form.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/

Like 0      
07 Dec 2007 11:25 AM by damok666 Star rating in Sunderland. 75 posts Send private message

Hi jdm,

I fly in and out of San Javier every couple of weeks and they land from both directions depending on wind direction I think. I think its the same taking off but I'm not sure.  I think they like to head into the wind to give them lift when they take off and to slow them down when they land.

On the flight path from the UK they come over Valencia and out to sea then they will either do a tight right turn over the Mar Menor and straight in or they will go right past the Mar menor do a huge swinging right hand 180 degrees and come in over the land.

I have only taken off pointing inland in which they will then immediately do a 180 degree left out to sea and up past Benidorm etc.

HTH

Like 0      
07 Dec 2007 11:32 AM by jdm Star rating. 3 posts Send private message

Thanks for the replies.  I thought they would come in and go out over the sea so as to avoid popluated areas as much as possible.  We are buying in Los Aclazares and witha new runway coming on stream and the possibility of late night flights I just wanted to be sure about the flight paths.  We are buying an apartment so any noise is minimal unless its from the neighbours!

Jack

Like 0      
11 Dec 2007 3:08 PM by flacky Star rating in London. 1 posts Send private message

flacky´s avatar

I believe that all airports operate the same as mentioned before and take off and also land into the wind.

Nearly all the times I have flown into San Javier the planes have flown over Cartegena before doing a full circle before following the coast over Los Alcazares.  And again when they take off they tend to fly away from Los Alcazares. I guess that is the way the wind normally blows.

I knew about the expansion of the terminal buildings but did not know that they were planning a new runway so I do not know how this will affect things. Presumably it will run in the same direction as the original runway.

Like 0      
11 Dec 2007 7:46 PM by Karensun Star rating in Orihuela Costa. 1474 posts Send private message

Karensun´s avatar
Apparently there is just a slight problem with the new runway. The idea was that there would be morning flights but the Spanish military will not give permission as they use the airport for training  at that time. Bit of a stalemate.

Now a non-smoker !  

Like 0      
25 Jan 2008 1:15 PM by amogles Star rating in El Campello (holiday.... 174 posts Send private message

> Thanks for the replies.  I thought they would come in and go out over the sea so as to avoid popluated areas as much as possible

in Spain? you must be joking. I don't know if you've ever taken a look around Torrelano or El Altet but these are in the direct flight path of Alicante.

But what strikes me most of all is that nobody really seems to care. Some of the Villas in Torrellano look extremely expensive. Why would people with that sort of money want to settle there if noise was an issue?

Like 0      
25 Jan 2008 1:16 PM by amogles Star rating in El Campello (holiday.... 174 posts Send private message

and before anybody suggest that the villas were there before the runway, the answer is no, they weren't. 

Like 0      
27 Jan 2008 10:39 AM by semijubilada Star rating in London/Torrevieja. 1052 posts Send private message

Isn't this forum great, I've always wondered why I couldn't get early morning flights to San Javier and now I know.

I prefer the 6am flights as they fit in with my DH shift pattern, he can drop me off at 4am and get a couple of hours sleep before going to work.

I've always been tempted by the 1p flights from Ryanair, in our first year of ownership I found it cheaper to get 2 1p return Ryanair flights with a 3 day gap between them than 1 EasyJet.  Was able to get 30kgs of luggage over instead of 20kg.  As it was February when I got to San Javier the inward flight was delayed due to Sea Mist, they tried to get us to transfer to the next days plane but after 5 hours they took us by coach to Alicante.

I think the flights were around £23 each but this was 4 years ago.  Last week I booked a flight for a friend to Mont Pelier with all the extras and charges you now have to pay, the return 1p flights worked out to £63.03.

Something to bear in mind when you look at the website, the standard charges are not included so if you want to take a suitcase,early boarding then add £63 to the prices shown when you are comparing them with other companies.

I do realise that it's stilll a good deal but I would prefer that standard charges were shown on the first page as EasyJet now does.  That way you can decide then whether to continue with the booking or look else where.

I don't know if it's something that always happens but after I had clicked the button to accept the debit card details I lost the connection after the prompt telling me to wait x amount of seconds whilst it was being processed.  Luckily I was using the laptop so DH went to the desktop to see if we had an email from them which we had, after a couple of minutes I refreshed the screen and the booking reference came up so panic over.

Like 0      
27 Jan 2008 12:35 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Hi Semi

I knew San Javier was a military airport.  We thought we were going to be stuck taking off very late one night as the inbound flight from Bristol was delayed due to fog during day. Thankfully the flight turned up & we took off just before they closed the airport. On our flight were many who had experienced a cancelled flight to Bristol the previous night due to bad weather.  They'd been given the choice of going to Alicante for a later flight or coming back to San Javier to go on next flight from there. (EasyJet)

Like 0      
11 Feb 2008 3:50 PM by No 74 Star rating. 2 posts Send private message

The new runway has already been built however the local council will not grant permission for it to come into use until the Airport fulfills certain criteria. The main one (and stumbling block due to cost) is that they are required to pay for sound-proofing to approxi 3000 dwellings in Los Alcazares before the 2nd run way can be used and thus extend the operating hours for civilian use.

I suspect that the new airport at Corvera will eventually replace San Javier (as was the original intention)

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

sending money to spain - 1 posts
Constitution day. - 3 posts
Easyjet have released their Luton flights now - 0 posts
Enquiry about Maria de Castro's baby son. - 3 posts
Has it happened yet??? - 0 posts
Aifos - 3 posts
IBI Council Tax receipt - 6 posts
Cat Transport - 4 posts
Terry Imrie - 1 posts
vistalmar sur villas - 0 posts
Ex-Pat Faux-Pas? - 9 posts
Thinking of using Parador Properties? Think Again! - 18 posts
Woodburning stoves - 3 posts
Sweet tooth in Playa Flamenca - 3 posts
Been told theres a sky set about for 500e and NO monthly ???? - 4 posts
Careful with your cases - 5 posts
dentists - 2 posts
furnishing masa properties - 5 posts
Wanted to Rent between Aguilas and Mojacar - 1 posts
Wanted 3 bed Duplex early June 2008 - 3 posts
Time Limits on Snagging Issues - 14 posts
Where can I find this sofa bed? - 6 posts
Postal Deliveries - 17 posts
Urbanisation Gardeners and pool cleaners - 0 posts
Media Scaremongering - 3 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 11

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x