My experience in Spain in the year 2000

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
28 May 2014 4:58 AM by Reinanishel Star rating. 1 posts Send private message

In all fairness I want to say that leaving the United States and living in Europe changed my life, made me more global and more ambitious.  Living in Spain opened my eyes to seeing life from different perspectives and thinking outside the box.

Here is what I liked about Spain: The chance to meet royalty from other countries, the chance to chat with other visitors fron around the world, paella & fried calamari, the opportunity to speak in Spanish all day long, the beaches, La Alhambra and the discotecas.

Here is what troubled me about Spain:  Women have to be very careful when interacting with the males from other countries while in Spain,  I believe prostitution is legal in Spain-therefore some men may proposition you in broad daylight if you are a female visiting Spain, the fact that at times people will not want to converse with you because your Castillian is not perfect, Zaragoza, there is not sitting water in some of the toilets until you flush, some households do not have electric stoves and switch a gas pump on and off to cook and sometimes you may not get a chance to see a doctor right away if you are very sick.

I lived and studied in a township of Madrid.  I would love to return to Spain with my son to live but I believe I may have to surrender my American citizenship.

My advise to anyone who wants to go to Spain:  Go!  Study and work there but do not go alone.  Go with a group or a few other people.  Master Spanish before you go.  Save up lots of money before you go and flip over some of your money to euros before you leave the states-Fifth Third Bank is a good bank for this.  Do not live with a host family-rent out a furnished apartment and have is all set up before you leave.  Set up arrangements to connect with members of your religion while you are there and definitely encourage your family members and friends to come out and visit you while your are there-and take advantage of the time.  Take the weekends to see all of Spain- Malaga, Granada, Cordoba, Salamanca, Barcelona, Torrejon de Ardoz, Toledo ,  Segovia etc.  Then if you can go to Morocco, Portugal, France, Italy, Siciliy and England while you are there squeeze it all in before returning to the states.  One last thing-try to stay for a year if you can afford it and if you can secure employment and a work permit to live and study there stay for as long as you can.

Like 0      
28 May 2014 8:16 AM by casperruby Star rating. 165 posts Send private message

I think this post shows the massive difference between the Americans and the Europeans

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Double taxation for Gibraltar workers living in Spain? - 0 posts
Can anyone recommend a villa or Cortijo? - 0 posts
Native English teacher required - 0 posts
Residents, Income tax on property in and outside Spain - 26 posts
Urgent Sale 2012 Land Rover Range Rover Evoque Pure - 0 posts
Murcia airport still a great place.. now selling duty free goods - 7 posts
Endesa Ombudsman - 0 posts
Electricity tariffs - 3 posts
temporary internet options - 10 posts
Property transfer taxes in Seville - 2 posts
Restoration of flat - 4 posts
TWO SINGLE BEDS FOR SALE - 1 posts
Taxman investigates Pensions from outside Spain - 44 posts
Chinese Junk Shops Why So Many - 8 posts
wanted. outer glass door for electic oven. - 2 posts
Elderly village/home in South Spain - 2 posts
Property transfer tax in Andalucia for under 35s - 4 posts
Legal tip 1149. Timeshare and frauds - 0 posts
How do i find cheap car insurance without an agents - 5 posts
What EU MEP's should focus on and make the work for all of us - 18 posts
Carboneras Hotel: Stay or Go? - 0 posts
Barclays-how does it affect ex pats with UK accounts - 12 posts
Decent plumber needed - 0 posts
TFProperties (Cezar Fenianos) Was based on La Torre Golf - 1 posts
Spain's New Stringent traffic laws - 13 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 2

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x