new taxation - what are the penalties if your overseas assets are under 50K?

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
23 Feb 2013 8:29 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Nigel, 
                      I would suggest you take professional advice.

As you will have read, if one gets it wrong the fines are high (I think starting from 5,000 €) and ignorance is no defence.

Incidentally, the form 720 is I believe only accessible on-line and one needs to have a ‘registration number’ to be able to complete and submit it. Thus the ‘man in street’ will need to use a gestor or similar.

Like 0      
23 Feb 2013 8:47 AM by nigel188 Star rating in Estepona. 655 posts Send private message

Hi John

Many Thanks for the advice.

I know you can do it online but very cumbersome as the code you get from the Internet you have to take to your local Tax Office from where you are given another code to input into  your Model 720 Form. All too complicated for me.

I will get professional advice rather.

Regards

Nigel

Like 0      
23 Feb 2013 8:48 AM by kathyslad Star rating. 329 posts Send private message

Unless he gets a "registration number" or a digital ID. Its very simple to do. You can obtain one from here

http://www.cert.fnmt.es/index.php?cha=cit&sec=4&page=34&lang=en

You just enter your NIE, take your proof of identity etc to the local registration office. They will give a an electronic code, which you enter into the certificate that you can then download, and it installs on your pc. When you access the model on the Hacienda website, it checks your computer, finds the certificate, and allows you access.

I've had one for about 5 years.

This message was last edited by kathyslad on 23/02/2013.

Like 0      
23 Feb 2013 9:09 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Yes, just as I said, not really for the ‘man in the street’ who in any case would feel more secure (as indicated by Nigel) if they use a professional service to,  hopefully, guide them down the right lines and  avoid the possibility of a hefty fine, should they get it wrong.

Even though I believe I have a reasonable understanding of taxation in general,  for a few euros,  I will certainly be using my usual gestor.  

Like 0      
23 Feb 2013 12:19 PM by camposol Star rating in Camposol. 1406 posts Send private message

Nigel-according to Blevin Franks, you do.

Like 0      
23 Feb 2013 12:47 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Nigel, as you have been declaring your income, making the declaration should not affect you in any way. 

The problem may arise for those who have substantial assets overseas,  which have been returning profits which have not been declared.

Also, those who have been employed all their lives on a modest wage, but who have assets way beyond that income. 

Like 0      
23 Feb 2013 2:14 PM by camposol Star rating in Camposol. 1406 posts Send private message

johnx-even though crown pensions are only taxable in Spain, do you not have to mention them?

Like 0      
23 Feb 2013 2:32 PM by elaineG Star rating in Spain . 409 posts Send private message

j

johnx-even though crown pensions are only taxable in Spain, do you not have to mention them?

I assume you meant UK Crown Pension are ONLY TAXABLE in UK.

I don’t understand why you think he should mention them here.

This message was last edited by elaineG on 23/02/2013.

Like 0      
23 Feb 2013 2:34 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

You took the words out of my mouth.

Campo such pensions are ignored in by the Hacienda. 

It means that those who have a Crown Pension get tax relief in the UK on that pension and tax relief on other income, which is taxable in Spain. In effect it means the OAP does not get taxed as it is below the taxable (tax relief)  level in Spain.

This message was last edited by johnzx on 23/02/2013.

Like 0      
23 Feb 2013 2:44 PM by camposol Star rating in Camposol. 1406 posts Send private message

I have been told that although crown pensions are only taxable in UK you still have to tell the Hacienda you have one!

Like 0      
23 Feb 2013 2:47 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

I have been told that although crown pensions are only taxable in UK you still have to tell the Hacienda you have one!

Not so.  And the same applies to Spanish crown pensioner living in UK

This message was last edited by johnzx on 23/02/2013.

Like 0      

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Moving On - 9 posts
Pool Fencing Regulations - 9 posts
Tax on property when sold - 16 posts
Bank Account charges - 9 posts
Water bill - 12 posts
Storage Wanted - 0 posts
Jet Boat For Sale, Winter Bargain - 0 posts
Lloyds Bank International - Free Global Travel Insurance..... - 3 posts
Spain gone mad again - 2 posts
post - 7 posts
Where is the best place to buy art and craft materials in bulk? - 0 posts
Where is the best place to buy art and craft materials in bulk? - 2 posts
Has anyone got experience of collecting a dog from Madrid airport? - 14 posts
Buying in Malaga district - 1 posts
LiJohn - 2 posts
points on driving licence - 7 posts
Phone contracts ...ufff - 0 posts
Moving to Malaga area in 10 weeks with dogs - 5 posts
Wanted - LT rental Playa Blanca Lanzarote - 0 posts
TV on the coast - 4 posts
Hello Canary Living - 5 posts
San Javier Jazz Festival 2013 - 3 posts
The Spanish people made a stand ...and were counted - 1 posts
New Permanent residence card - 2 posts
Next Pope could be Spanish.... - 2 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 31

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x