New to site.

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
29 Oct 2012 10:06 AM by marcbernard Star rating in Marina Alta; Alicant.... 254 posts Send private message

Billy67 and Eileen

Sorry you think you have been dumped!

My wife and I have lived permanently in the Marina Alta (capital Denia) in both Javea/Xabia and Benitachell since 1996 with 10 previous years on a part time basis. We have always found the area to be excellent, both in terms of weather, people and facilities. The area extends to Calpe (avoid in our view) and goes inland quite a way with a good variety of villages large and small. It is true that as you go inland, the thus higher up the mountainsides, the temperatures go lower, a good thing in summer but not so welcome in winter. We can recommend visiting to Javea, Benitachell, Moraira, Jalon, and the ring of villages from Parcent to Sagra.

Of course others will disagree but it all depends on your personal ideals. I will agree with those who recemmend renting for a year whilst you investigate.

Hope this helps!

Like 0      
29 Oct 2012 11:36 AM by ******** Star rating in UK & Murcia. 574 posts Send private message

I agree that is a beautiful area, but it is much colder and wetter than Murcia.  Just flying into Alicante or San Javier airports you will see that it is at or about Alicante where the countryside changes to a far more arid and less green appaearance.  There's a reason for that - the climate.  Murcia is the driest region with the warmest consistent temperautures. 

Jane

Like 0      
29 Oct 2012 11:59 AM by billy67 Star rating. 11 posts Send private message

Thanks to marc and jane for your replies I am out of the dog house now

In your regions how is it effected by the Oct/Nov rains have heard it is called the

Gotafria effect, have heard it can be quite severe for flooding.

Also what are the level of expat activities in your areas as we have heard it can vary greatly, we have been told there is more to do for expats in the North of Alicante but south of there is is mainly Golf. Which would suit me but leave Eileen a golf widow

Thanks

Like 0      
29 Oct 2012 12:05 PM by marcbernard Star rating in Marina Alta; Alicant.... 254 posts Send private message

I suppose it depends if one wants to live in a desert, or whether a little seasonal difference is prefered. I consider the tunnel north of Calpe to be the threshold, as it becomes greener and much more pleasant north of that. It also rules out Altea, and Benidorm.

Of course the buildings tend to be cheaper at the southern end. Also greater propensity for earthquakes!

One takes one's choice.

Looking at the further post missed whilst typing - there is a good selection of golf clubs along the whole coast, with prices probably varying according to area and facilities. As a non-golfer, I can't really say. However the activities level other than golf is substantial to say the least in Marina Alta. I am sure Eileen could find lots of choice.

The Gota Fria lasts for up to 7 days but does not occur every year. I would suggest not living at the foot of a hill, rather at the top!

A pleasant cooling breeze is a regular item in Benitachell, and is welcome generally in the heat of the day. Maximum temp here has been 45% but lower this year.

This message was last edited by marcbernard on 29/10/2012.

This message was last edited by marcbernard on 29/10/2012.

Like 0      
30 Oct 2012 9:10 AM by billy67 Star rating. 11 posts Send private message

Marc,

Thanks for the information, ideally we would have the better temperatures with less rain and milder winters but have the greenery of the north but we cant have both hence our dilema. But you did help us differentiate the areas so thank you

Billy

Like 0      
31 Oct 2012 9:57 PM by eileen66 Star rating in Glasgow. 67 posts Send private message

Hi Everyone,

Thank you for advice. We seem to have narrowed it down to Pilar de la Horadada in Alicante region and San Pedro del Pinatar in Murcia. Both seem to be reasonably populated with permanent residents all year round and have plenty for ex pats to get involved with. Hoping to come out next June to explore area. If anyone lives in either place, has reasons that they prefer one to the other, or has recommendations for best urbs or areas to live I would appreciate your opinions. Don't want to live somewhere that is lively in summer with holiday rentals but then quite in winter. 

Thanks Eileen

Like 0      
31 Oct 2012 10:39 PM by tamaraessex Star rating in Colmenar, Malaga. 508 posts Send private message

tamaraessex´s avatar
Haha!

Well my aunt lives inland from Denia, on a mountain above a village called Benidoleig, and it's lovely. Cam't be any more help than that, it's not my area, just wanted to keep the thread going for you!

Blog about settling into a village house in the Axarquía. http://www.eyeonspain.com/blogs/tamara.aspx

Like 0      
31 Oct 2012 10:54 PM by eileen66 Star rating in Glasgow. 67 posts Send private message

Thanks, my poor husband got a bit paranoid when thread died. 

Like 0      
01 Nov 2012 12:56 AM by llegaralasestrellas Star rating in United Kingdom (BHX .... 58 posts Send private message

llegaralasestrellas´s avatar

We lived around Torrevieja, and the weather in that neck of the woods is excellent. Very low rainfall, and little cloud, so even winter days tend to have plenty of sun and clear nights. Winters tend not to be that cold  - day time temperatures typically 12-15c in early afternoons in Dec/Jan, but on a good day you can get 18-20, on a bad day maybe 10c. However, after a long hot summer in the high 30s  it *feels* colder, especially indoors with those tile floors. The Alicante-Cartagena stretch of coast is essentially a transition zone from Mediterranean to Arid climate, and so has elements of both.

South of Cartagena, winters get more mild and you get a true Arid climate. Pretty much anywhere on the coast from Mazzaron to Almeria will be ultra-dry, with winters being milder. Summer temperatures don't increase as dramatically, but winters are noticeably milder and drier. The average winter day in Almeria like a "good" winter day in Torrevieja. The downside is that this stretch of coast isn't that well connected, nor does it have any real cities (after Cartagena, you don't really hit any real urban areas until Almeria city, which itself is quite small). Howe ver, it is a heartbreakingly beautiful region. You won't see anywhere as stark and dramatic anywhere else in Europe.

I don't really know the Costa del Sol myself. I understand it's wetter than Almeria and is cooler in winter, but obviously it's a lot better connected with Malaga airport, and great trains.

Downsides climate wise. The whole coast from Alicante onwards can get some pretty strong dust storms when the wind comes from the south. Not much you can do, just make sure the windows aren't open. The strongest ones can be very dramatic, almost like an eclipse - you get a sort of twilight, and visibility drops to that similar to a foggy day and the tempture drops dramatically. They aren't that common, but something to be aware of. The Canaries get them too (when the wind is from the east).

Summers can be VERY hot. Every summer Torrevieja got over 40c several times around mid-day/early afternoon. If you aren't working it isn't so bad, but even so it's something to be aware of. The inland low-lying areas can actually be worse. Seville in summer is quite frankly hell - much worse than Almeria.

As for the northern regions, the Costa Azahar and Costa Brava in winter are cooler and wetter in comparison. If you like green scenery and moderate summers then they are probabaly a better bet though. As others have said, you can definitely draw a divide aorund the Denia cape, and another one around Barcelona. North of Barcelona the climate is very much like southern France.

Like 0      
01 Nov 2012 8:39 AM by floella Star rating in SE Spain. 803 posts Send private message

Llegaralasestrellas,

To write after Cartagena there aren,t any real urban areas towards the south until Almeria is so untrue.
On the coastal route there are the large towns of Mazarron, Aguilas and Mojacar and 15 mins inland , directly off E15 ,you have fantastic Murcia city, Alahama de Murcia, Totana and the city of Lorca. Plus numerous other very sizeable towns.

Eileen and Billy ,in truth the temperature and conveniences you say you want are to be found in Mojacar. Here the climate is probably the most temperate on the east coast of Spain and in this and surrounding villages live many expats. Unfortunately a trifle too far from Alicants airport though.

But wherever you decide just hope you find your dream .

Like 0      
01 Nov 2012 5:31 PM by eileen66 Star rating in Glasgow. 67 posts Send private message

Thanks. Yes, it is a real shame that we will have to be flying so regularly or Mazarron would have been considered. I hope that the future brings all year , international flights to the new airport. Would make it easier for everyone in the region, I'm sure.

Like 0      
01 Nov 2012 7:52 PM by llegaralasestrellas Star rating in United Kingdom (BHX .... 58 posts Send private message

llegaralasestrellas´s avatar

I stumbled on a rumor that if/when the Murcia-Almeria AVE link is completed it will serve the new airport. If that actually happens, it will completely transform the region in terms of accessibility. I honestly have no idea if its true, but I hope so! If it does, it'll almost certainly mean more air routes will come online as the catchment area will be much larger.

floella - I meant 1st/2nd tier cities on the coast. Mazarron and Lorca are decent towns, don't get me wrong, but in terms of facilities, infrastructure  and what not obviously they are not directly comparable to somewhere like Malaga, Murcia and similar 2nd tier cities.

Like 0      
01 Nov 2012 8:22 PM by Bri Star rating in North. 591 posts Send private message

The train stop at Corvera was dropped. It is now Murcia City I think.

Brian

Like 0      
18 Jan 2013 9:41 PM by eileen66 Star rating in Glasgow. 67 posts Send private message

Just a note to say thank you to everyone for very useful and friendly advice. We have finally decided to spend more time over in Spain this year. Have placed a message on working in spain forum and am hoping to find some house/pet sitting jobs. 

I have tried a few forums and this has been the best, by far, so thanks again.

Eileen

Like 0      
19 Jan 2013 8:45 AM by jimmi Star rating. 8 posts Send private message

I have been going to various areas near Alicante for a few years house hunting. Have a look at Algorfa, outskirts of Elche or, for a more ex pats populated area, Ciudad Quesada. We have spent a few Xmas/New Years in these areas and trust me, compared to Glasgow, it's heaven weather wise! Places like Torrevieja, in my opinion, are absolute holes. Depends what you like but if you want to avoid Blackpool with sun, steer clear.

Like 0      
19 Jan 2013 1:05 PM by eileen66 Star rating in Glasgow. 67 posts Send private message

Hi Jimmi,

Cliche I know, but with a name like Jimmi I'm assuming you're Scottish, so you will understand just how miserable the weather here can be. Had a look at Algorfa, it looks great value but all seems to be on golf resorts. Did you visit area, what did you think of it? 

Eileen

Like 0      
19 Jan 2013 1:05 PM by eileen66 Star rating in Glasgow. 67 posts Send private message

Hi Jimmi,

Cliche I know, but with a name like Jimmi I'm assuming you're Scottish, so you will understand just how miserable the weather here can be. Had a look at Algorfa, it looks great value but all seems to be on golf resorts. Did you visit area, what did you think of it? 

Eileen

Like 0      
02 Feb 2013 7:44 AM by johnnylewis Star rating. 1 posts Send private message

Hello All

Thanks for sharing this information this is help ful for me..

H

Like 0      
05 Feb 2013 12:28 PM by Mekira Star rating. 1 posts Send private message

Hello friends,

I am Mekira. I want you suggestion regarding some important topic. i hope you will cooperate with me. Enjoy to stay here.

Like 0      
05 Feb 2013 3:19 PM by camposol Star rating in Camposol. 1406 posts Send private message

With all respect to EOS, you will get other people's experiences and viewpoints good and bad and you will become even more confused. I would recommend getting info from the "horses mouth"

Inform the DWP in the UK that you will be moving to Spain, and ask them about health care, pensions etc and how they will be affected in Spain.

Inform the HMRC  ask them about your tax affairs in relation to Spain. You will have to register on the Spanish tax system

Inform the DVLA. I f you are taking your UK car to Spain, you will have to re register it onto Spanish plates if you register in Spain as a permanent resident.

When you choose a Spanish tax accountant , ensure he/she is familiar with tax systems both in Spain and UK. The tax system is extremely complicated, and has just become more so.

Use sites such as UK in Spain, Anglo info etc. If  you buy books about living in Spain, bear in mind that the information in it will probably be out of date by the time it is printed

Ensure you have at least a year's salary put by. This is not the best time to look for jobs!

Do not expect things to be regulated like they are in UK. Laws and their interpretation vary from place to place. If you are the victim of injustice, or have been overcharged on your electricity bill for example, don't expect a speedy resolution.

Expect good medical and surgical treatment in hospitals,  but not nursing care such as help with personal hygiene, feeding or mobility.

Be prepared for several cold months when you will need heating in your home.

Look out for distraction scams, don't carry  a handbag, be careful in the car

Good Luck!

To sum up, Spain is not always  the cheaper, less stressful, welcoming country it is made out to be! Don't believe all you hear in the bar!

Like 0      

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Declaring cost of works to reduce tax liability - 0 posts
Spain - 8 Years Hence ?????? - 9 posts
Freesat changes - 2 posts
What grows in Spain? - 11 posts
Electricity meter - 8 posts
How to contact English Speaking Staff at Iberdrola - 1 posts
PARKING IN SEVILLE OVER CHRISTMAS - 2 posts
Laundry - 0 posts
flights - 2 posts
Television - 0 posts
Furniture pack - 0 posts
Cancelled SIP cards (Healthcare Access) - 0 posts
Uci bank - 8 posts
Empadron, non owner, living rent fee - 1 posts
Dickmanns Car hire... Alicante airport - 13 posts
Cash withdrawals in Santander Branch - 0 posts
Electricity Supplier takes over without contract!! - 8 posts
Driving Conditions to Santander in February - 4 posts
Should it be illegal to film or photograph police officers? - 24 posts
Cockroaches! Thank God they've gone! - 31 posts
Spain cracking down on prostitution! - 22 posts
Advice on Solicitors - Cash Purchase - 14 posts
Now thats a good idea - 0 posts
Wanted: Wendy house or similar for children's Christmas present - 0 posts
Tarmacking or concreting a track - 8 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 40

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x