GETTING ON THE INTERNET!!

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
04 Jul 2007 12:00 AM by miket Star rating in La Mairena, Elviria. 371 posts Send private message

Mike T is moving over to Spain soon........We shall be renting an apartment  initially for 6 months or so close to Elviria on the CDS. I need to have internet access but I won't have a fixed line connection for some time. Can anyone advise me of where I can purchase/Rent a mobile/GSM pod or something else suitable for my laptop/PC and what the likely monthly costs are please
Also, the apartment I shall be renting does have a fixed line and can receive incoming phone calls, BUT the owner says that she dosn't pay for the line rental. She says that I can buy Credit through my bank! Is there anyone out there who has this kind of set up? Unfortunately the owner won't allow me to register the phone line with say telefonica for normal line rental facilities has she normally uses the apartment for short term holiday lets!

Mike T

Like 0      
06 Jul 2007 6:27 PM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar
Mike, all the mobile phone shops stock the GSM laptop cards.  I used to have a Vodafone one and I think it was about 30 Euros a month for 15 MB of data transfer.

They work on both GPRS and 3G.  GPRS is like a dial-up which is painfully slow but 3G is great.   In Marbella area you shouldn't have any problem picking up 3G.

Have you taken your lap top to the apartment to see if there is an open wireless network you can hook up to?  You'd be surprised how many open networks there are.

Regarding pay as you go phone line.....never heard of it!!

Justin

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
06 Jul 2007 7:26 PM by miket Star rating in La Mairena, Elviria. 371 posts Send private message

Thanks for the info Justin,

Do I have to commit to a longer term contract for a 3G card or PAYG.
I am currently looking for a 6 week rental from the end of July close to Elviria before we commit to a longer term rental in Las Chapas! I really need good access to the internet to maintain work commitments in the Uk for now.

cheers Mike T

Mike T

Like 0      
09 Jul 2007 12:37 PM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar
Mike, sorry forgot to reply to you on this.

The 3G system is essentially a lap top card with a sim card in it.  I would assume you could get it on PAYG but I assume it would be quite expensive doing it like that as on a contract you get special rates.

You'll have to check that out when you're here I think.

Justin

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
09 Jul 2007 2:31 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2626 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

Wi- fi is the way to go. Maybe one of your neighbours will have a wireless connection you could make a contribution to? There will probably be wi- fi hotspots around that you can connect to, especially near hotels where they allow guests internet access. Connect to an unsecured network without the owners consent at your peril, it is classed as theft (well it is in the UK anyway and may well be in Spain), although like everything, theyhave to catch you first

Mark

Like 0      
10 Aug 2007 3:58 PM by sazzle Star rating in Scotland, soon to be.... 45 posts Send private message

hey!

Posted a thread earlier about rentals with internet access but someone suggested I might have more luck If I have the line connected myself so I can get on the internet.

Do you think many owners would agree to this and what other options do I have

looking to move to CB south, Flamenca, Zenia Los Altos area

Like 0      
10 Aug 2007 4:18 PM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar
Sazzle, I would expect it's very difficult to actually find a rental property with an active phone line.  The owners would expect you to sort out connecting a phone line yourself so that they don't get left with the bill!

Justin

Like 0      
10 Aug 2007 4:20 PM by sazzle Star rating in Scotland, soon to be.... 45 posts Send private message

ah ok, thats what someone else said.

WEll how hard is it to have this done??

or can you get something else, wireless or something? I am not very clued up on All this as its so straight forward in the uk to have all that done but in a different country I have no idea where to start, hee hee

Sarah

Like 0      
10 Aug 2007 4:26 PM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar
Well, we waited 2 years for our first phone line....but that's because the infrastructure in the area wasn't in place yet.  Something to check, do the neighbours have phone lines?  If so then there "shouldn't" be a problem and they "normally" come and connect you within a couple of weeks (ish).....

Justin

Like 0      
10 Aug 2007 4:39 PM by sazzle Star rating in Scotland, soon to be.... 45 posts Send private message

well i did notice there was a whole thread on telefonica, which I have not yet read, but that will make bedtime reading for another night!!!

Like 0      
10 Aug 2007 5:39 PM by Anna123 Star rating. 1 posts Send private message

If you are having access to internet and want a cheap landline, why not use Skype through your laptop?

Like 0      
10 Aug 2007 10:35 PM by jencoo Star rating in east Yorkshire/ Daya.... 131 posts Send private message

hi sazzle

we have a totally seperate system which is completely wireless, comes from a small box ariel and is beamed in. We get phone and broadband for 25 euro month . there is an installation fee, and this usually only takes about a week or so to get installed. It could be taken with you when you move , so no need to get owners permission. Our system operates into daya nueva so dont know about Los Altos area but a local computer shop should be able to point you into the right direction

Hope you find this usefull

Steve

Like 0      
11 Aug 2007 9:37 AM by sazzle Star rating in Scotland, soon to be.... 45 posts Send private message

thanks!

whats its called? I will try looking it up?

sazzle

Like 0      
11 Aug 2007 12:30 PM by FibbyUK Star rating in UK, Surrey & Playa F.... 2349 posts Send private message

FibbyUK´s avatar

Hi Sazzle,

Go into Nortons in La Zenia, they are off right on the roundabout at La Zenia, behind the big supermarket.

Their office is in the end villa, up the stairs.

Ask to see Angela.

They can install wireless phone & internet for you.

Installation is dear, about 300€ and monthly charge is around 35€

They supply the area you are interested in.

(We are in Playa Flamenca)

Kind regards,

FibbyUK

One off fee to pay your own La Renta tax (210 Form)
Check out my website:

http://www.payingtaxesinspain210form.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/

Like 0      
11 Aug 2007 4:32 PM by sazzle Star rating in Scotland, soon to be.... 45 posts Send private message

THANKS FIBBY

thats a great help

we will buy a laptop before we come out and then just that will be the first thing I will do, so does that mean I dont need to ask permission from the owner and I dont need a landline???

ooooh I feel so much better now as that means that I can go back to looking at a much wider range of properties.

Sarah

Like 0      
11 Aug 2007 11:19 PM by FibbyUK Star rating in UK, Surrey & Playa F.... 2349 posts Send private message

FibbyUK´s avatar

Hi Sarah,

As far as I know, and don't hold me to it!..................Nortons offer wireless phone & broadband.

I only say this because they have installed a mast on our apartment block, to serve the southern part of Costa Blanca with wireless signale for TV and internet.

They used our block to pick up an inland signal, as it was able to connect to their inland "server thingy~?", to relay to the coast going south.

Good luck with it all!!!

Rgds,

FibbyUK

One off fee to pay your own La Renta tax (210 Form)
Check out my website:

http://www.payingtaxesinspain210form.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

YOUR OPINION AND VOICE TO HUMA. - 33 posts
Mobile phone talking phrasebook !! - 9 posts
BMW 2.8L CONVERTIBLE FOR SALE ON CDS - 30 posts
MOBILE and FIXED LINE INTERNET ACCESS - 0 posts
Breach of COMPLETION DATE Hollwood Hills - 0 posts
Hello i am a newbie - 1 posts
asthma - 3 posts
STOP PRESS re completion & habitation certificates ! 2nd July 2007 - 1 posts
bill and eddy - 2 posts
solicitor required (orihuela costa) - 6 posts
Fantasy Homes By The Sea Wants You! - 0 posts
local fishing spot - 13 posts
A Type Of Key Holder Or Person To Run Errands If Required. - 0 posts
does anyone know the location? - 10 posts
Did you know that your Pet can travel on the same Thomsonfly flight that you are taking? - 6 posts
Buying dogs in Spain - 3 posts
Long Term Rental needed in Playa Flamenca area - 1 posts
Floods in UK - 2 posts
Stamp Out The Bully’s! - 0 posts
any help please - 7 posts
New roundabout - Leaving Torreveija town N332 - Cartegena direction - 7 posts
long term property wanted for rent - 1 posts
NIE Meet in Torrevieja - 3 posts
Directions - 9 posts
looking for someone to take over our client transfer business - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 16

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x