Need some advice on banking in Spain

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
22 May 2012 10:36 PM by globetrotters Star rating. 3 posts Send private message

Hello, we hava a bank account with Bancaja in Caravaca, this bank has now joined Bankia.  As we always use the on-line facility because we don't live in Spain but need to pay our mortgage and utility bills ect. 

Since the two banks merged we can't get into our online account and are really concerned that we can't see if we have enough funds in the account to make our payments.

We have e-mailed and rang the bank several times but the e-mails aren't answered and we have to leave a message on the bank telephone system so that they will ring us back in english and no response has been received from this. 

Is anyone else having the same problem and if you have please can you advise as how we can solve the situation.

This is a really worrying situation so we would be grateful for any help

Many thanks

K and C

Like 0      
22 May 2012 10:52 PM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar

To log on to the bankia website you need your NIE number or passport number and the PIN number issued with your card.  The NIE or passport will be the one you registered with when you opened your account.  If you opened it with an NIE then that number doesn't change.  If you opened it with a passport, you must use the passport number you opened the account with.  If you have renewed your passport since then that won't work so try using your old passport number.  

Like 0      
22 May 2012 10:56 PM by globetrotters Star rating. 3 posts Send private message

We have been using the online facility for several years and used the same number and pin all of that time but now when we enter these details in we get a response saying that these are incorrect but they definately are right.  Have tried NIE number and passport number but still can't get into the account.

We have been told that the banks are blocking accounts so that people can't transfer funds from them but in our case we send funds from England to cover our expenses and have none to withdraw.

Thanks for your suggestings

Like 0      
23 May 2012 7:33 AM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar

Don;t listen to rumours, they are not blocking accounts.  This is all to do with the changeover to Bankia which didn't go particularly well and if you read some earlier comments on this site you will find several people have had problems.  If your passport doesn't work, and neither does an older passports, I don't know what to suggest other than keep trying.  They have been a bloody pain but are still letting people withdraw money, honest.

Like 0      
28 May 2012 1:08 AM by globetrotters Star rating. 3 posts Send private message

Thanks for your help

We have managed to make contact with the bank now and are able to manage the account on-line.  Our bank is unfortunately, the one that needs the goverment help. Typical!!

Like 0      
17 Jun 2012 3:32 PM by pittstop Star rating. 7 posts Send private message

Yeah the bank crisis has been a headache for us too, we were with Banco De Valencia, but they are one of the banks that got compulsory purchased by the government, which in some ways makes it safer, but in others means we might be subject to the whims of the new government who could force it to merge with another bank.

We've tried to minimise our risks here by moving some of the assets to other banks, the best deal in terms of interest, stability and service was Santander.  They are one of the biggest in Spain and haven't needed a bailout (hastily touches wood). 

A few of my Spanish contacts are now moving their money into German banks,  Deutsche Bank [sp] seem like a safe bet and have branches throughout Europe, including Spain.

I must point out however, I'm not a financial adviser. 

Like 0      
11 Nov 2020 8:28 PM by duchess Star rating in Tenerife/ UK. 3 posts Send private message

Hello, only just joined you.

I have a Property in Tenerife Spain, my Banco Santander is not responding  (about 15/20 phone calls from Uk) as i returned back to UK in March this year. I am a swallow/ spend winters there.

I cancelled a direct debit to Eurona internet Cmp in March, they are still taking money from my account.... no response from them vis e mail & phone calls.

Banco Santander do not have Bank Books,  & have stopped monthly statements, i have requested an on line account inorder to control what goes in & out of my account.

I sent an Air Mail signed for formal reQuest letter to Bank Manager- NO RESPONSE. 

I have aquired the Banks e mail address, i made another request to cancel Eurona payments, not being used & requested an on line account.  NO RESPONSE. 

I telephoned the bank; got redirected & told too busy to discuss.

My calls to Banco Santander in Madrid 4 times direct me to English speaker who tells me it is the Debt Dept x 4 times?  Cannot help me.

Swichboard have told me no English speaker until 5pm, ring back, i do.... No one to speak to me?

I have been going around in circles since April, i have an NIE number, + my bank account details +++++ i cannot return to Tenerife at this time re Covid, hence, i need an on line account.

Can i open an on line account with my details & how do i stop Eurona company taking money  out of my account, cheeky company changed their name & created a new account without my permission!

PLEASE, can anyone give me some advice on my next step?d

duchess.

Like 0      
12 Nov 2020 2:59 PM by acer Star rating. 1529 posts Send private message

Hello Duchess,

Nice to have some new (presumably blue) blood on here.

Not sure if I've missed something, but did you know you can reverse debits on your bank account remarkably easily?  I've had to do so a few times over the years.  I'm with a different bank to you, but I gather this is a standard facility in Spain.  With my account you just highlight the item and reject it - saves so much hassle.

Acer

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Geuros to save Athens - 1 posts
Scooter and Quad For Sale. - 3 posts
Builders in court & on national television. - 14 posts
Your voice in Europe - 0 posts
Driver with trailer leaving Murcia tomorrow ,job cancelled - 0 posts
pool table - 0 posts
spanish workers going to the uk for work - 46 posts
Wanted long term rental in Chiclana de la Frontera - 0 posts
How safe is our money and property? - 2 posts
getting some of my money back - 3 posts
Good Luck and Best Wishes................................ - 1 posts
Coefficient Voting - 9 posts
N.I.E. - 16 posts
AND HERE YOU HAVE IT - 4 posts
Must we file again in June on rental income in previous year? - 2 posts
What role UK played in spanish bubble? - 19 posts
Tax Return Help & Deregister in UK - 3 posts
Help with Viat - 5 posts
new member - 5 posts
PVC 3Mtr diameter Pool in AKI hardware - 1 posts
A huge thank you to Maria and her team at Costa Luz Lawyers - 2 posts
The future for ex pats - 74 posts
Internet and lines for everyone no matter where you are - 4 posts
Swap / part exchange - 2 posts
Honda 5.5HP Engined Petrol Lawn Mower - 1 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 8

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x