Fake Gas Men. Beware!

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
07 Jun 2007 12:00 AM by Grazy Star rating in Estepona. 17 posts Send private message

Hi All,

I am a person who is very positive about life and like to post about happy things, but sometimes when there are people around who are just waiting to take your money by conning you, somebody has to give the warning!

Beware of
bogus “Butano” (gas) inspectors!

They have been around for years, conning unsuspecting property owners out of exorbitant amounts of money for supposedly inspecting their gas installation and then fitting “new parts” (usually a second hand regulator from the last person they visited and a piece of gas tube which anybody can purchase from the Butano depot for a few euros).

These me usually arrive in a white van, they wear orange/blue boiler suits and carry printed receipt books, which use a very similar colour scheme and graphic style to that of the official Butano paperwork.

They often tell you that you are delinquent on your inspection and that you are in an illegal position and therefore must have the inspection done right away. You have no obligation to allow them into your property, but they use surprise and panic to get you to allow them inside your home.

They charge 50-60 eur and recently at one of my buy-to-rents, they tried to intimidate the lady living there to pay-up 150 eur for a bogus water heater recon, which would have consisted of removing the cover pretending to adjust a few screws and then replacing the cover.

I have been caught by these people twice over the years, once in my apt and once in my restaurant. When they turn up they appear to be the real deal, dressed convincingly and clutching papers that resemble the real ones and they are very experienced at being pushy and aggressive conmen. Thgese crooks catch many, many people! Please don’t fall for their con trick.

I’d love to answer your questions on this topic and hear from others who may have been had by these unscrupulous people.

Like 0      
08 Jun 2007 5:22 PM by FibbyUK Star rating in UK, Surrey & Playa F.... 2349 posts Send private message

FibbyUK´s avatar

Thanks for the tip Grazy.

When we are in the Uk, we tend to be more "aware" of these fraudsters.

But in a foreign country, I am sure that many of us, not knowing the language, can be drawn in.

Regards,

FibbyUK

One off fee to pay your own La Renta tax (210 Form)
Check out my website:

http://www.payingtaxesinspain210form.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/

Like 0      
25 Jun 2011 12:27 PM by KP Star rating. 229 posts Send private message

On my trip to Spain last week, we had visitors to our house who for all intents and purposes seemed to look the part of the Butano representatives.

Four young guys turned up in a smallish blue (butano style) van but with no logo on it on the outside!

They had the Butano logo on their polo shirts and seemed to have all the necessary paperwork with log on etc!

They explained that they were looking for a certain english gentleman in the area and even showed me a supposed copy of a contract with his name on but no address! When I told them I didn't know him, they then said they needed to check all our gas appliances - bbq etc. I told them we didn't have any gas appliances at our house which they seemd to get abit upset about. I suggested they visit my neighbour next door who knowseverybody in the area and he could help locate this english man.

There is no way I would let any stangers in my house and would suggest that if anybody does turn up wanting to check appliances you tell them the same thing.

Just as they were leaving I thought I would check to see if they visited my neighbour as I had suggested but they just drove straight off looking for their next victim.... beware, they could be in your area next so warn all your friends.........

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Justin, I want an EOS T-Shirt! Do other members? - 58 posts
New villa Mar Menor help furnishing please - 2 posts
Better late than never - 6 posts
Help - 8 posts
things to do nr punta prima beach - 3 posts
florida golf - 4 posts
Larios 2000 Court Case - 1 posts
Hello - 2 posts
colinas del lago los balcones - 1 posts
problems with atlas - 5 posts
Macro Communities - any info? - 16 posts
Murcia or Alicante we need advice. - 15 posts
Elegant Homes Worldwide Reservation before they will make the offer - 5 posts
colinas del lago los balcones - 3 posts
FRUSTRATED EL ZOCO PROSPECTIVE OWNER!!!!!!!!!!!! - 3 posts
A very big hello to all my new eventual neighbours!!!! - 6 posts
Whippy Ice Cream - 25 posts
how to get non payers, to pay community charges - 14 posts
Community charges..... non-payers....direct action? - 190 posts
Is this a first? - 8 posts
Murcia inspection trip - 8 posts
Builders need advice. - 2 posts
Issuing a Denounce - Advice Please - 7 posts
Trevor McDonald's disgraceful TV programme - 84 posts
EasyJet info - 69 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 3

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x