Trevor McDonald's disgraceful TV programme

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
06 Jun 2007 3:37 PM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar
Tippytoes, I think you may be worrying too much.  A huge number of people have moved to Spain and are really enjoying their lives here.  It's all about expectations and setting realistic and achievable aims.  At the end of the day it's not for everyone and many do return to the UK.

Sometimes you have to take a risk in life or else you live with the thought of "what if".  It doesn't always pay off but don't let Trevor put you off, he only shows what makes the best TV.

You can (and should) rent a property when first moving to Spain so you don't have to jump straight on to the property ladder here and you get a better feel of where you want to be.

Justin

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
06 Jun 2007 4:09 PM by georgia Star rating in Algorfa (As seen on .... 1835 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

georgia´s avatar

Hi Goodstitch,

I feel for your predicament and would never rubbish any situation where people have lost money.

What i was trying to express was the fact that tippytoes was due to complete so obviously take ownership of a property, that must be nearly finished and was put off living here not buying here by the program.

Shoot me down if you like but the quality of life i was refering to was nothing to do with the size of your house or postcode it was the ability to let your children have the freedom they deserve to play without fear of perverts lurking around every corner,hoodies,bullying and everything else that the social decline of the UK now offers.

I can understand why people could be worried about the purchase but not the lifestyle.

Unfortunately,the rogues do exist and although i do not know your personal circumstances you have obviously been a victim.

There is a perspective here that has to be kept,why are these programmes produced and what is there motive,this episode was about the fact that you cannot get rich quick anymore from the Spanish property market.

If you stand at the school gates and ask any of the children that parents have brought them here for  a brighter future how they feel about Spain,i dont think that capital growth will be high on the list of conversation.

That was the point i was trying to make.

Regards

Georgia

Like 0      
06 Jun 2007 4:12 PM by tippytoes Star rating. 3 posts Send private message

Hello

Up until we saw that programme, we were almost on our way.   We are at the 11th hour and before Trevor's programme put the frighteners on, we were really looking forward to trying it for a year at least.  I know its a great lifestyle especially for the children.  If it was just me and hubby, we would chance it definately - but with kids its harder.

We have been saying 'what if' for years and if we don't go, we know we will regret not trying it.     

The renting idea is good - we should of planned to rent first instead of buying.  We are so worried that If we go ahead and complete soon on our Marbella apartment, we may get stuck with it and be trapped like so many others.

Since that programme we are dizzy.  Trevors programme shows a dark side which we didn't consider (the land grab we knew) but knew nothing of how much supply there is - its seems out of control.

tippytoes

Like 0      
06 Jun 2007 4:23 PM by goodstich44 Star rating in northampton. 1648 posts Send private message

Tippytoes

renting sounds like a very good idea to me, also loads of homework from sites such as this one, and lots of talking to people who are now or have been, where you are thinking of going, and probably most important, a good lawyer in place before you do anything . I probably didn't  ''worry too much'' , when i got in to this, and on reflection that was probably my biggest mistake!

Like 0      
06 Jun 2007 4:25 PM by Karensun Star rating in Orihuela Costa. 1474 posts Send private message

Karensun´s avatar

Hola Tippytoes, you say you are at the 11th hour ? So if you don't go ahead what will happen...................will you lose financially ? Or will you have to complete then sell ? ( I am not really asking you to post your personal affairs on EOS...........but rather saying you have to think about what will happen next )

I have lived here for nearly 5 years now and although I do not have the same circumstances as you, I have friends who have small children and have produced offspring here in Spain. All these people have taken a risk in begining a new life here.........and there is no doubt that this new life is both exciting and daunting.

Remember, you can always change your mind if you don't like it, although it must be pointed out that if you sell up completely in England, it may be difficult to get back on the property ladder, especially if you are intending capitalising on your Spanish property in this present climate.

If you have had no problems so far with your purchase, don't let Mr McDonald take away your dream.

Life is for living....................and we don't get another go at it.

Good luck, whatever you decide.

Now a non-smoker !  

Like 0      
06 Jun 2007 4:35 PM by georgia Star rating in Algorfa (As seen on .... 1835 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

georgia´s avatar

I understand the fact that these programmes make people very nervous and everyone has there only personal circumstances.

The market will not stay like this forever and and slowly but surely the oversupply will dissapear.

Spain is now a long term decision and will be untill the market turns.

I wish you all the best with whatever you choose.

Regards

Georgia

Like 0      
06 Jun 2007 4:41 PM by tippytoes Star rating. 3 posts Send private message

Hi Karensun

If we don't go ahead - we would just tell our lawyer and pay him for his time to date.

We are to pay 100% on completion.  So we are not going to lose thousands fortunately. 

Our apartment is fantastic and the location is good - Elviria, Marbella.  But another problem is that its 2bedroom and now I have gone and got pregnant and it may be too squashed for us all.  I think because I am pregnant I am not so brave as I usually am too.

We were planning to sell our Uk property to fund the move - it is daunting coming off the property ladder in the UK though.

Yes, life is for living.. but what if..

Tippytoes

This message was last edited by tippytoes on 6/6/2007.

Like 0      
06 Jun 2007 4:53 PM by Karensun Star rating in Orihuela Costa. 1474 posts Send private message

Karensun´s avatar

Hi Tippytoes, you'll be thinking that all we do in Spain is stay glued to the computer !!!!!

Just have a really good think.......use your heart as well as your head.................chat to your husband and tell yourself the truth.

You can sell and buy a bigger place here too you know........................and anyway you will be ok for a bit with a new baby in your new apartment.

I can't say that I have never had mixed feelings about being over here BUT it is the place I call HOME and I don't regret our move.

Let us know how you get on and what you all decide.........................remember Mr. McDonald does not give two hoots for you or yours!!! So don't let him influence your decision.

Now a non-smoker !  

Like 0      
06 Jun 2007 4:55 PM by Suzie Star rating in England. 121 posts Send private message

tippytoes - This is a huge step for you and your growing family, & not one to be taken with any nagging doubts.  There are many "What Ifs"...so long as you have the answer for them you will be able to make the right decision at the right time.

Have a look at:

www.spanishpropertyscandalpetition.co.uk

This may help you make up your mind. 

Regards, S

Like 0      
06 Jun 2007 5:31 PM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar
Suzie, no offence but how can your website help her to "make up her mind"?

Surely it will only put her off even more?

Justin

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
06 Jun 2007 5:41 PM by Suzie Star rating in England. 121 posts Send private message

I'm not trying to "put her off" Justin.  Tippytoes sounds extremely anxious and unsure, & there are personal experiences on the website that she may be interested in reading.  I am also unsure as to whether the home she is considering is a newly-completed one, & wanted her to make sure that everything is in order before she completes - if she decides to do.  I am just trying to help - just like the other people who have given their opinions freely.

Justin - if you would rather this website not be mentioned on Eye on Spain would you please let me know.  Thank you.

This message was last edited by Suzie on 6/6/2007.

Like 0      
06 Jun 2007 5:54 PM by alanwspencer Star rating in Hertfordshire/Duques.... 340 posts Send private message

alanwspencer´s avatar

I think there is enough information on this web site with both good and bad experiences. Tippytoes should have a good look round this forum with her husband, digest it, think about what made them decide on buying in Spain in the first place. Sleep on it then make as far as they can, an objective decision. I say as far as they can because the heart can pull one way the head another. But having made that decision they should stick with it and have no second thoughts. After all this is their decision and only they can make it.

Alan

Like 0      
06 Jun 2007 8:28 PM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar
Suzie, don't get me wrong I have no problem you posting the website on here.  The point I was making is that your site mentions some pretty awful stories and would only really help to increase the anxiey of an already anxious buyer.

People need a balanced view and the argument here is that programs like Trevor McDonald's never do that.

Justin

Like 0      
06 Jun 2007 9:26 PM by Candyfloss Star rating in Cardiff / Mar Menor. 1605 posts Send private message

Candyfloss´s avatar

Hi All

My only regret about buying in Spain is that I wish we'd done it years ago and moved when the kids were small. Now they are in mid education so not possible for a permanent move but they want to move over as soon as they have finished.

Regarding Trevor's prog. The main concern is the land grab situation which was the only thing that seems to be an ongoing worry. The cooled market is no different to the UK and I wouldn't worry about that at all. The saturation of the new builds and buy to lets over here are exactly the same as in Spain. Supply is bound to outstrip demand at some point, which is why the off plan option must be a no go in my opinion.

Like 0      
07 Jun 2007 9:35 AM by goodstich44 Star rating in northampton. 1648 posts Send private message

Justin

we have been bombarded with positive one sided advertising for Spain for several years now, and there are many people who are happy with their Spanish purchase, and have had a good experience with the Spanish way of life. Surely not looking at Suzie's site though, is sticking your head in the sand a bit, as it presents a warning of what has happened to some people, despite thinking they had done enough homework to avoid the pitfalls. Yes it does make grim reading, but it is the reality for many, and not reading it could leave a potential buyer missing out on some very important warnings. I really feel if people take these facts on board as well as talking to the the many happy people they will be better armed to make a balanced decision on buying or not.

Like 0      
07 Jun 2007 10:08 AM by FibbyUK Star rating in UK, Surrey & Playa F.... 2349 posts Send private message

FibbyUK´s avatar

I thought the idea of Eye on Spain website, is for us all to share our views.

This way, our forum can be a balance of good and bad views.

It's up to the reader which way they choose to go, buy or not buy.

I don't think that having links to another website "similar" to Eye on Spain is the way forward.

If the reader cannot get the answers from Eye on Spain, let them go "Google" for another website they may choose to "believe".

Let's not start an advertising campaign for other websites, there is only one anyway, and that's EOS!

My kindest regards, as always............................

FibbyUK

One off fee to pay your own La Renta tax (210 Form)
Check out my website:

http://www.payingtaxesinspain210form.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/

Like 0      
07 Jun 2007 10:08 AM by Lauryc Star rating in Was South Devon .. n.... 520 posts Send private message

Lauryc´s avatar

I think I want to set up a site with happy and positive stories.

I am sick of all the doom and gloom.

All the stories about illegal builds and being caught out.

A price "crash" that means that prices are no longer going up at 25% per year.

If people look in Spain with their brains instead of their hearts, they should be okay.

Watch this space.... 

Laury

Like 0      
07 Jun 2007 11:04 AM by Suzie Star rating in England. 121 posts Send private message

Thank you Justin.  Yes, the stories are awful, but they are 100% factual - only the names have been changed.  The people who have contributed have provided full details of their purchase together with dates, names of agents, developers & lawyers.  The stories on the website are a mere handful; many do not wish to have their experiences printed, which I fully respect, but they have 'signed' the Petition & Lawyer Complaints document with full & factual details.  Both are growing daily.

FibbyUK - the website is not "similar" to Eye on Spain -  if it was, it certainly would not be allowed to be mentioned here.  You obviously haven't taken the time to look at it before commenting.  Its purpose is to build a Petition that will be presented to the British Government & the EU Committee, so that the rights of EU Citizens are respected and addressed instead of being abused, which is what is now happening to thousands of people who have unknowingly bought illegal properties in Spain. 

Some people are forgetting that we have the benefit of a lot of knowledge now that we did not have 4 or 5 years ago, and these are the people who need more than answers.  The Spanish Legal system is not working for them & it is time that more is done.  The Spanish people are also being affected.

Yes, there are lots of happy stories, & I for one am relieved when I hear them & very happy for the people who have had no serious problems with their purchase. 

Laury - we are all "sick of the gloom & doom", but it will only continue & will escalate if nothing is done about the corruption.

Thank you Justin for allowing the website to be mentioned here.  I am sure this will help a lot of people.

www.spanishpropertyscandalpetition.co.uk

Like 0      
07 Jun 2007 11:06 AM by goodstich44 Star rating in northampton. 1648 posts Send private message

Fibby

i agree, the site is for all to share their views, good or bad.  I think Justin and Mark are both doing a great job in different ways.I have advised many people on SPI  to talk to Maria on this site, and why not?  Surely it's best if we can all help each other as much as possible, and provide truthful, and helpful information, good or bad without taking sides like children?

Lauryc

your comment about 'using your brains instead of your heart' is very insulting to the many people that did, and were still conned. That fact is very clear from  the development forums on here as well as others. If you are sick of gloom and doom, spare a thought to those caught up in it, and put yourself in their position.

Like 0      
07 Jun 2007 11:24 AM by Lauryc Star rating in Was South Devon .. n.... 520 posts Send private message

Lauryc´s avatar

So in what ways were all the people conned?

Surely the adage of "Let the buyer beware" is true here?

We viewed many excellent new build houses that we were assured were legal until our solicitor discovered they weren't.

There were houses that had been built many years ago that were supposed to be legal but weren't on closer inspection.

The land grab is the really bad one, I agree and I can't see any way of checking for that apart from buying a house in the middle of a lot of Spanish people. I don't think the land grab happens quite so much to them.

I haven't read all the millions of complaints. Please could you tell me what were the main methods of conning?

Ta

Laury

Laury

Like 0      

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

EasyJet info - 69 posts
Aifos developers - 16 posts
Marina Dor - Serving a DENOUCE - Help please - 1 posts
Buying off plan - 13 posts
eyeonground? - 2 posts
Are they deaf - 1 posts
Occupied Homes to be Demolished - 6 posts
Direct pension payment - 7 posts
Merry Xmas - 4 posts
Sylvia (The Forge) - 0 posts
Gill - 2 posts
Finally a Urban Plan is submited for aproval by Marbella Town Hall - 2 posts
New Legislationfrom the EU - 26 posts
Townhouse in Mijas near the racecourse - 2 posts
LAWYER COMPLAINTS - 6 posts
Advertise your Tamaragua Villa for free - 4 posts
Buying Furniture in Spain - 16 posts
Euro Select Estates - 0 posts
photos - 2 posts
renaults for sale - 2 posts
Need long term rental in Los Gazules or near International school.Help anyone! - 0 posts
Statutory charges - 3 posts
lookin for chris and denise dockerty - 4 posts
Kliney - 2 posts
Recaliming 5% property tax - 4 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 85

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x