can a court ruling regarding a debt be ingnored?

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
07 Feb 2011 12:00 AM by BUTTONS Star rating in Nerja. 15 posts Send private message

I have a new property.....new but on an established urbanisation.  The community of owners took the builder to court to recover community fees they said he owed....eventually , on appeal, the court ruled he was liable to pay.  4 months following the ruling, I bought the property, and now I am being told I have to pay and I don't understand how this can be.  The court papers name the builder and state that he has to pay so why am I being pursued for the debt and threatened with litigation.  Should the community of owners be looking to have the court judgement enforced ? Does anyone have any answers - I knew that debt is passed on with a property but this case is different ( I think) because of the court ruling?

Like 0      
08 Feb 2011 9:19 AM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar

Hmm, be interesting to see if Maria can jump in and respond to this.

I would have thought that buying the property with any debt associated with it would mean that the debt becomes yours, regardless of the court ruling.

Has anyone else been affected by this on your community?

Justin

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
08 Feb 2011 9:30 AM by claire T Star rating in Torremendo, Orihuela. 688 posts Send private message

EOS Supporter

Hi - sorry but am not too sure of difference the court ruling makes, but your lawyer should have withheld the amount of any debt which was not cleared at the Notary to make sure that this sort of situation didn't happen.

The community may now expect you to pay and then it is up to you to chase the original debtor. 

I would have a word with your lawyer. 

Like 0      
08 Feb 2011 2:51 PM by fultond Star rating in Haywards Heath & Tor.... 242 posts Send private message

I would have a word with a different lawyer!

Like 0      
08 Feb 2011 4:12 PM by buttons Star rating in Nerja. 15 posts Send private message

Thank you for your replies. My point about the court ruling was that having spent owners money on the court case , the urbanisation should ensure the decision is enforced-the court did not specify Mr X or the new owner. Also, the administrator knew that the property was for sale so would not the responsible thing have been to put an embargo on the sale? I am bow being threatened with court to recover the debt and I suspect the ruling will be enforced. I will seek further advice and then probably 'bite the bullet' and pay up. Lesson learned!

Like 0      
08 Feb 2011 4:41 PM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

I am afraid, you will have topay and then make a claim agaisnt the lawyer´s indemnity insurance as he should have secures you were getting the prorperty free of any charges.

In relation to the debt corresponing to your house the developer was the debtor ( even judicially declared as you mentioned) till you bought the house.

This message was last edited by mariadecastro on 08/02/2011.

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
08 Feb 2011 4:47 PM by buttons Star rating in Nerja. 15 posts Send private message

Thank you Maria for your advice which I will follow.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

mobile catering unit - 1 posts
cost of tabbaco in spain - 19 posts
Art Supplies - 1 posts
for sale uk registered campervan - 3 posts
Hi from the UK - 1 posts
Just started considering....... - 2 posts
Does anyone understand court property auctions? - 6 posts
Hola - 5 posts
Motorhome or RV Wanted - 11 posts
where to live - 5 posts
How bad has it been in Spain - 71 posts
Off to See Maria de Castro - 33 posts
Help! Spanish ATM ate our holiday cash but bank still not returned it 7 months later! - 4 posts
WHO WANTS TO LIVE IN AMERICA :-) - 2 posts
Funerals in Spain - 12 posts
Wanted "Weight training equipment" - 0 posts
Taking new ps3 from uk - 4 posts
Entered on Official Boletin - what happens next? - 0 posts
"L" Shape Lounger (Settee) - 2 posts
drains - 4 posts
House in Cartama, Coin Alhaurin area - 0 posts
Non-resident cert processing? Help - 2 posts
Certificate of Registration of the EU - 17 posts
Residencia renewals - 9 posts
"Corvera Airport" any news?? - 3 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 7

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x