Scam Warning

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
14 Dec 2010 12:00 AM by Marbella29649 Star rating in Mijas Costa, Costa d.... 58 posts Send private message

Had an email from somebody a couple of weeks ago asking if I could complete some I.T Work for them as they were busy in Ireland.
They wanted 9 laptops cleaning and reinstalling etc and would ship them to me along with a cheque for the amount I quoted.

I asked them where the laptops were and they said Barcelona. This raised my suspicions as I'm in the Costa del Sol, and also paying by cheque,  so I read through the emails again and noticed slight mistakes in the language used.

I then Googled the email address that the email was from  craigjacob@hallmarkcity.com and found they had been trying rental scams as well.

Apparently they send you a cheque for an amount over what was agreed which you then bank and send them the overpayment back but the cheque they sent you then bounces.

Just thought I'd let people know especially if you have your own business.

Like 0      
14 Dec 2010 3:49 PM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar
The laptop one has been doing the rounds for a while. The giveaway with a lot of these scams is that the names of the people who are doing them tend to have two Christian names, such as "Craig" and "Jacob" in the example below. I actually know of two people who lost thousands to these scammers so any publicity like this can only help to make others aware of these tactics.

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
14 Dec 2010 4:16 PM by Marbella29649 Star rating in Mijas Costa, Costa d.... 58 posts Send private message

The thing is it was a genuine business enquiry from another forum that I advertise on.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Have a Great Christmas Everyone - 20 posts
Watch out for retired people - 4 posts
Car hire at Murcia San Javier - 3 posts
Parking at Murcia San Javier - 3 posts
Ocean View Properties - 2 posts
El Gordo - 3 posts
The Retreat - Alicante - 0 posts
Girls Football Teams - 3 posts
Contract Law in Spain - 77 posts
Scooter for sale - 0 posts
Endesa vs Iberdrola? - 3 posts
Restaurant Internships in Spain? - 4 posts
NIE number - 2 posts
Tiles Needed to complete GALGO refuge! - 0 posts
WANTED :Spanish Plated 4 wheel Drive or Car or Motorhome - 0 posts
Plane Parking now at Alicante airport - 23 posts
3 Bedroom Villa Long Term Let Wanted - 2 posts
100 posts its a mile stone - 1 posts
Book For Sale - Revenger by Rory Clements - 0 posts
Murisha is in the House!!! - 0 posts
Habitation licence required for re-sale property - 24 posts
Mel Hazell - 1 posts
Audrey Dixon and Pink International Property - 7 posts
Van hire - 0 posts
Grumpy Old Gran - do you agree with Donna's moans? - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 3

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x