smoking ban

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: Previous | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | ... | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
13 Jan 2011 12:31 AM by Donna773 Star rating in Guardamar, Costa Bla.... 19 posts Send private message

EOS Supporter

As a matter of interest, is smoking banned in children's playgounds in the UK? I don't remember ever hearing of it - but then again I doubt that addicted smokers would observe it any more than the death-wish fools who light up outside hospital entrances, ignoring signs saying smoking is banned anywhere in the hospital grounds (some of them, unbelievably, in-patients in dressing gowns with breathing problems). It's a disgrace that outpatients have to walk through a haze of smoke just to get into my local hospital. Help, I feel another Grumpy Gran rant coming on...

www.donnagee.blogspot.com

http://www.eyeonspain.com/blogs/donnagee.aspx

http://www.eyeonspain.com/blogs/donnagee2.aspx

http://www.grumpyoldgran.com

Like 0      
13 Jan 2011 8:34 AM by guslopez Star rating in Lorca, Murcia.. 744 posts Send private message

'Paramentos' is adornings or hangings & in architectural terms the facings or facade of a building. Yes it's possible that it could be taken to mean the canvas sides as the spanish love of using words that have nothing to do with what it actually is , is quite common.

I would think it would take a court case to detemine it.

The people responsible for impementing & policing the new law are the policia local & the ministery of health through environmental health officials. If they say these things are ok  & comply ,then they are.

Yes 29/30% of spaniards smoke , as a % of the whole population; but around here the bars / restaurants are populated by a majority of smokers, it's not a tourist area . It averages around 75/80% & I've been watching & counting since the 1st restrictions came in .

1st thing in the mornings it's in excess of 90%. ( Or was )

Floellas quite right in that here in Lorca the bars in the town centre , with no outside space , are as dead as doornails & the ones with ouside space are not as busy as before. In addition  the staff are complaining as they have extra work to do as everyone is outside,resulting in more walking ,carrying & fetching , cleaning up , etc; plus the owners have additional expense in supplying patio-heaters ( an utterly useless piece of equipment that should have been banned from sale years ago & adding to global warming ) plus now they want the TV's outside . The owners can't employ more staff as they've not got additional trade. One thing I've found around here is that once the spaniards say that they are not doing something , that's it they don't do it & stick to their guns. It might result in their friends, neighbours or family going out of business but they'll stick to it to prove their point !

The same complaints are being brought up in Andalucia  & elswhere & the Valencians are organising a petition for the government to debate the issue. The better weather is  going to bring an improvement in trade in some tourist  areas but not around here or in many small pueblos across spain where the bars are suffering the backlash of this new law.

Donna , if the smokers all lived another 5 years they 'd have to put up the retirement age again so you'd be working longer & as their are already too many people living in the UK & their were too many living their 30 years ago what's the answer ? Culling, sounds good to me. You can't start with the smokers as they contribute £12 billion pounds to the uk economy & if that stops the income tax would have to go up by £ 374 for every living person ; which in reality is more like £800-1000 as less than 50% of the Population work ! Take out the smokers ( 16+ million) & it would have to rise by even more.

Personally, it doesn't really bother me but I feel sorry for the bar & restaurant owners who are paying out large sums of money in rent ,& rates whilst having the largest proportion of their customers standing outside with hardly anyone inside !

It's quite likely at the next elections here when Mr Bean is booted out that the incoming party will overturn this law , like the dutch & belgians have just done, a go back to smoking & non-smoking bars.

Todos somos Lorca.

Like 0      
13 Jan 2011 9:28 AM by waterdog Star rating in Malaga. 12 posts Send private message

"Personally, it doesn't really bother me"   Really - GUSLOPEZ ?  

For someone not bothered you have done a heck of a lot of research, made more postings than most and posted longer replies than most..  Seems to me like it bothers you a great deal.

Non smokers have an absolute right to clean fresh unpolluted air.  Smokers have no rights to ruin the healtgh of others. There can be no question of that.

Cars do not come into the equasion, as they are now a very neccessary evil, (how would you get your ciggys delivered without the combustion engine?) but at least research is being done to improve emissions, or eliminate them alltogether.  If this were done with ciggarettes, so they had no harmfull effects and no smell, people could smoke anywhere, anyplace, anytime.

At this moment in time my family is going through the agony of watching a bright and beautifull family member, 45 and mother of  young twins slowly dying from throat cancer.  She has never smoked in her life, but was raised in a smokers home, and went on to work in a smoky environment.  She, her children and her husband are paying the ultimate price for the selfishness of others.  If ths law fails it will be a tragedy.  I once saw a news item on TV where infant school children had swabs taken They were able to detect those that came from homes where the parents smoked. Some of   these children had a nicotine level in their saliva equal to having smoked 5 cigarrettes a day.

Like 0      
13 Jan 2011 10:15 AM by guslopez Star rating in Lorca, Murcia.. 744 posts Send private message

"Personally, it doesn't really bother me"   Really - GUSLOPEZ ?  

For someone not bothered you have done a heck of a lot of research, made more postings than most and posted longer replies than most..  Seems to me like it bothers you a great deal.

No, it doesn't bother me . It saves me money as I don't  frequent them  as do all my spanish neighbours, as much as before the ban.

It's not  'research'  , it's knowing what the people get up to that we've voted in & should be done by all members of the population . It's general knowledge ! Then the fact that fuel duty is near 80% in the UK ,or tobacco tax is around  £5 on each packet or the fact that there's no such thing as national insurance cont. anymore ,it just goes in a general pot & in no way entitles you to any healthcare  & is not ring-fenced for pensions, wouldn't come as such a surprise to many members of the general public.

Todos somos Lorca.

Like 0      
15 Jan 2011 8:45 PM by Rob in Madrid Star rating in Madrid. 274 posts Send private message

Rob in Madrid´s avatar
YES IT''S TRUE hard to believe but there is nothing nicer than the sight of seeing people smoke outside, about time. But I do say it feels weird not coming away from your morning coffee reaching of smoke. A friend whose lived he many years said when he first came the malls on Saturdays were blue with haze from smokers yes Spain has come a long way

Decided after all I don't like Spanish TV, that is having compared both.

Like 0      
16 Jan 2011 5:58 PM by Jeanie60 Star rating. 103 posts Send private message

Hola folks when im out and about ..yes its realy happening "THE BAN HAS HAPPENED"

Yes it seems to be working like it or not.

I mean its all been said on this thread i keep reading repeats... i do read most posts  i suppose a lot dont... judging by this thread.

Jeanie 

Like 0      
16 Jan 2011 9:52 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

I've avoided getting drawn into this and other similar discussions, in fact, I haven't even bothered following them, because there's quite enough about the subject every time you pop into a cafe here. Probably every conceivable opinion has been expressed and hotly debated so there's little to add really. However, I was out last night (rare event these days) and must say how pleasant it was to sit in the bar I usually go to without my eyes stinging from smoke. It was also a little surreal to be literally the only person in there. Even the owner was outside smoking, and only popped in to serve me! Needless to say, I only had the one and left, bored out of my mind. Also very nice to come home and not have to put my clothes out to air - but very strange nevertheless.

Just quickly browsing a few of the posts here, I notice someone mentioned about increased life expectancy if people could quit smoking, which is a nice thought, but the global population has doubled since 1960 (never happened so quickly before) and will probably hit 9 billion by 2045, and with an increasing middle class in developing countries wanting to emulate their Western counterparts' lifestyles, the planet probably doesn't have the resources to support so many people. If we keep on finding ways to make us live longer, eventually we'll end up killing each other and eating one another anyway. Just an alternative line of discussion for you over coffee tomorrow!

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
16 Jan 2011 10:01 PM by stanleymiguel Star rating in Kensington London UK. 15 posts Send private message

No wonder you are the only one in your local with an outlook on life like that

Thanks for ruining my weekend

StanMiguel

Like 0      
16 Jan 2011 10:19 PM by elcantal Star rating in Mojacar. 24 posts Send private message

Roberto,

If you really find it 'pleasant' to sit alone in a bar geting bored out of your mind, I'd suggest you may need some help.

Where will you go to be alone when the bars close down, as many will obviously to your great satisfaction.

Give the new laws 1 season and Spain will start looking at what is now happening in The Netherlands, Germany and Greece.

Like 0      
16 Jan 2011 11:44 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

Stan  welcome to EOS, love the name!

Elcantal, welcome also. Not too sure whether you didn't get my sarcasm, or I didn't get yours?

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
17 Jan 2011 9:48 AM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar

Talking to the couple who own the bar that I go to here, they say it's business as normal, it's just that everyone now sits outside...and she hasn't got enough space and tables for everyone, so half of them just end up standing!

I never hear anyone moaning about the new law, there is more moaning about it on the forum here than in the bars!

It really doesn't seem to be an issue for people, most seem happy to smoke outside.

Justin

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
17 Jan 2011 12:18 PM by Team GB Star rating. 1245 posts Send private message

Team GB´s avatar

I was in Ireland the week they introduced the ban, I was in Scotland and England on the very days the ban was implemented, almost without exception there was total compliance.

I did have a sneaking suspicion that all would not go as smothly in Spain ( especially in light of some other european countries back pedaling )  but I have to report that except for one or two maverick restaurant owners in Marbella, it seems at least in our area, to have become adopted without a great deal of fuss

Smoker or non smoker, we all know it makes sense, it is so much nicer now.

s

Like 0      
17 Jan 2011 1:33 PM by guslopez Star rating in Lorca, Murcia.. 744 posts Send private message

So what's the point of owning a bar , paying rent ,rates , etc & the majority of your customers are outside ! The one I always use on a sunday had 1 person in it & 23 on the outside terrace where , normally, the only ones who use it are foreigners. ( & you have to take the tables & chairs out yourself ) This morning my usual was as dead as a doornail again.

Todos somos Lorca.

Like 0      
17 Jan 2011 1:51 PM by TechNoApe Star rating in Duquesa, Manilva. 1277 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

TechNoApe´s avatar

I really don't see why we are all still talking about this new Smoking Ban in Spain!

It's happened!

It's a done deal!

Whether we like it (I do) or not!

Everyone so far seems to be abiding by the law, with some variance as to the meaning of the law when it comes to enclosed outside spaces.

The only thing we can truly speculate is what will happen during the summer when holiday makers come over and now find that they can't smoke indoors here in Spain.

Methinks they won't care, as they will want to be sat outside in the sun in any case!

www.andalucianstyle.com

Me, the Mrs and Rosie too! But we'll never, ever forget our Tyler!

We support AAA Abandoned Animals Marbella - Do you?

Like 0      
17 Jan 2011 2:47 PM by Tamsin Star rating. 169 posts Send private message

Having just come back from a long week-end in  Spain all I can say is that  it is wonderful that there is a smoking ban although most people now sit outside .  What the effect of that will be in the summer I do not know as it might be worse for us non smokers.

I wsh Gibraltar would do the same .

Like 0      
17 Jan 2011 3:36 PM by suemac Star rating in Jumilla, Murcia. 1001 posts Send private message

Yesterday we took our dog for a long walk, and we ended up having a drink in one of the bars in our barrio on the way home.  It was a small bar, with 8 people drinking inside, and only the two of us (plus dog) sitting outside.  We don't smoke, however as we can't take our dog into the bar we took advantage of the table and chairs outside - clearly for the use of smokers, as we haven't seen a table there in the past!  We noticed one man finishing his cigarette before entering the bar - presumably he would have taken it inside last year.  There was a petition on the bar re: the smoking ban, which had been signed by 8 people (don't know whether it was the same ones who were having a drink while we were there).

Sue

Sue Walker

Author of "Retiring the Ole Way", now available on Amazon

See my blog about our life in Spain: www.spainuncovered.com

Like 0      
17 Jan 2011 5:24 PM by MichaelShoemaker Star rating. 1 posts Send private message

Hate smoking and the smoker it self

Like 0      
17 Jan 2011 6:09 PM by goodstich44 Star rating in northampton. 1648 posts Send private message

......is there only one left then?

Like 0      
17 Jan 2011 7:37 PM by elcantal Star rating in Mojacar. 24 posts Send private message

Now now Goodstich,

I think that 'Shoemaker' in Spanish means 'Zapatero'.

Still, I suppose that being hated is better than being ignored!

I smoke; have done for 50 years. Wish I'd never started but there you are.

On the other hand I respect non-smokers and the law; even if I don't altogether agree with it.

I don't think I deserve to be hated or ostracised. Neither do I think I should be villified because I smoke; particularly as the 'evidence' put forward on the subject of 'passive smoking' is flimsy to say the least. Just Google it and read.

There used to be freedom of choice; smoking bars and non-smoking bars. Nobody put a gun to the head to use a smoking bar.

Like 0      
17 Jan 2011 11:25 PM by fultond Star rating in Haywards Heath & Tor.... 242 posts Send private message

Having lost both parents from the long term effects of smoking I keep wondering why people continue to defend any form of passive or active smoking. I also smoked for 10 years plus, but as an ex-smoker I am probably more passionate about this than many.

I also have no problem with smokers; just do it in your own space and don't infect the rest of us. Also being an ex-smoker I class the general atmosphere as being public air, and not available to smokers!

Like 0      

Pages: Previous | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | ... | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Halifax/Lloyds takeover - 25 posts
HELP FIND NATACHA - Disappeared in Marbella 1st Dec 7PM - 4 posts
Strike Action Over Xmas - 1 posts
Two years in Spain! - 4 posts
Qatar to host the 2022 World Cup - 7 posts
Russia to host 2018 World Cup - 2 posts
Expensive UK - 17 posts
Insurance for Bicycles - 2 posts
The end of the €425 unemployment benefit - 11 posts
certificado habitacion - 10 posts
GAS BOTTLE HEATING - 6 posts
selling spanish reg car in england - 1 posts
"The Building Log Book" versus "Libro de Edificio" - 0 posts
USING MONEYCORP - 12 posts
Vodafone Customer Service - 5 posts
Introducing aguilas389 - 1 posts
hi - 1 posts
Freesat Recorders - 4 posts
How do the the three kings arrive in your town / city? - 4 posts
tax office address - 2 posts
Golf Share in Guadalmina Golf - 4 posts
Pig on the roof - 2 posts
Bed & breakfast suggestions - Calais to Orihuela (Alicante) route - 8 posts
EEOs - 38 posts
Can anyone recomend a property management company who cover Puerto de Mazarron - 1 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 251

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x