smoking ban

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: Previous | ... | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | ... | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
17 Jan 2011 11:42 PM by elcantal Star rating in Mojacar. 24 posts Send private message

Fultond,

I do hope you didn't quite mean that the 'general atmosphere' is NOT available to smokers!

Try researching the pollution pumped out by the average London bus or the 40ton lorry delivering your groceries. Or even, come to that, the pollution caused by the very English 'School Run'; 4x4 vehicle obligatory of course!

Ex-smokers are all the same; you just can't have a reasoned discussion with them.

Like 0      
18 Jan 2011 1:01 AM by fultond Star rating in Haywards Heath & Tor.... 242 posts Send private message

True.... I don't suck on bus exhaust pipes either!

Like 0      
18 Jan 2011 4:01 AM by jek Star rating. 249 posts Send private message

jek´s avatar

elcantal, I don't believe you'd recognise a reasoned discussion if it jumped out and grabbed you by the short and curlies.

Fact: secondary smoking kills thousands of people every year.

Fact: the Spanish government claims that one of its main motives in extending the smoking ban to bars and restauarants was to prevent customers killing staff there with their smoking - a danger pretty much unique to bar and restaurant workers as the 2005 law had banned smoking in virtually every other workplace and had been universally observed.

Fact: there are other pollutants and lead in petrol is a health hazard.

Fact: governments take steps to counter or eliminate such hazards wherever it is practical to do so.  Including smoking.  So a consistent approach.

Fact: non-smokers do not inflict any harm on smokers.

Like 0      
18 Jan 2011 8:05 AM by guslopez Star rating in Lorca, Murcia.. 744 posts Send private message

elcantal, I don't believe you'd recognise a reasoned discussion if it jumped out and grabbed you by the short and curlies.

I think you have the same problem !

Fact: secondary smoking kills thousands of people every year.

Something kills these people & it's being attributed to passive smoking when the evidence  can both prove & disapprove it. All the studies & research done in to this & other cancers is funded by companies , on both sides , with a vested interest in a result that allows them to peddle their products. Huge amounts of the 2nd hand / passive smoking studies have been funded by pharmecutical companies & they are / were the ones in the shadows pressing for bans to allow them to sell their 'stop- smoking ' products.

Fact: the Spanish government claims that one of its main motives in extending the smoking ban to bars and restauarants was to prevent customers killing staff there with their smoking - a danger pretty much unique to bar and restaurant workers as the 2005 law had banned smoking in virtually every other workplace and had been universally observed.

No problem with it , if it does that but they are still at risk if they are serving people in public spaces, although the problem will be diluted.

Fact: there are other pollutants and lead in petrol is a health hazard.

There hasn't been lead in petrol since the 70's.

Fact: governments take steps to counter or eliminate such hazards wherever it is practical to do so.  Including smoking.  So a consistent approach.

They'd be better employed in managing the economy which it's been proved they can't do. Then again they are not really able to make any decisions without 'expert' advice which is normally tainted & spun to suit whoever has a vested interest  , & they don't have the abilityto see through it !  Just look at how 'condensing gas boilers' were sold to the fat boy to see that ; & he then introduced a law preventing the sale of any other type based on the 'expert' evidence & his knowledge as a ships steward !!

Fact: non-smokers do not inflict any harm on smokers.

Only by having to read & listen to the 'evidence' they've heard /read & spout like politicians, as though it was the absolute truth, whilst believing it because its a scientific study. But who paid ??

Yes, there is no doubt that smoking leads to health problems for smokers & secondary smoke can cause problems for non-smokers with underlying health problems but unless they frequented the bars & restaurants before they are more likely to to suffer damage on the street breathing in polluted air & will still be doing it now. 

There was a programme on throat cancer last week on the BBc . I had always assumed that it must be due to the effects of smoking  & was not caused by anything alse. Apparently a major cause of it is oral sex !

Todos somos Lorca.

Like 0      
18 Jan 2011 9:09 AM by fultond Star rating in Haywards Heath & Tor.... 242 posts Send private message

Sorry Gus, you haven't convinced me that smoking is good for you; passive or active. Therefore what is the problem with the smoking ban. On the negative side, you could be correct and it may be a waste of time.....nothing lost. On the positive side, it saves lives....lots gained. It's a no-brainer!

Like 0      
18 Jan 2011 12:43 PM by floella Star rating in SE Spain. 803 posts Send private message

Regardless of whether we smoke or not I think we are all agreed smokers are damaging their health.

The attitude of Fultond and others, who don't actually live in Spain, but who are obviously very concerned about the quality of air  we breathe( to the point where all the blame is directed directly at the smoker) might like to consider what their frequent flights here are doing to those of us who are not constantly jetting to and fro. 

This snippet came from the ICAO website. But the multitude of websites are all reporting the similar data.

'These emissions give rise to important environmental concerns regarding their global impact and their effect on local air quality at ground level'.

However like the other question I posed  these  'haters of smoking ' folk will probably ignore this data as well because they deem it to be their right. So probably best this thread is now aborted.

Like 0      
18 Jan 2011 8:54 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

Only a matter of time surely before someone suggests we should ban cows - or at least taking our pet cows into public bars. After all, it's a well proven fact that they contribute to greenhouse gasses. Looks like maybe Japan has stolen a lead on this one:

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
19 Jan 2011 9:42 PM by Jeanie60 Star rating. 103 posts Send private message

yeh yeh yeh xxx

Jeanie 

Like 0      
24 Jan 2011 2:02 PM by chefette22 Star rating. 32 posts Send private message

As for the person who stated hate smoking hate the smoker. I now suggest that he or she sits inside a now non smoking bar to spare us smokers from her rude and arrogant  attitude.

Like 0      
24 Jan 2011 2:10 PM by Sanchez1 Star rating. 853 posts Send private message

I've noticed that the bars on a morning are very very quiet after the smoking ban.  They all used to be quite busy with people having a coffee, smoke and a tostada before they head to work.  I guess the smokers are having breakfast and a smoke at home now?

Read my blog: Spain Money Saving Tips and Offers 

Use TransferWise to send money abroad. A lot cheaper than the bank and other online currency exchanges!.

Like 0      
24 Jan 2011 11:40 PM by fultond Star rating in Haywards Heath & Tor.... 242 posts Send private message

Chefette, it wasn't me who masde that statement, but in my experience smokers can be very inconsiderate. How many times have you seen a smoker in a restaurant light up as soon as they have finished eating, even though there are people all around them still eating?

Like 0      
25 Jan 2011 10:21 AM by chefette22 Star rating. 32 posts Send private message

Fultond. I am a smoker but have never smoked in a restaurant as I agree it is not pleasant for non smokers. However as in England this will not happen now so please everybody just leave the smokers alone and enjoy yourselves in the now empty bars which will in turn cause loss of jobs and less tourists.

Like 0      
25 Jan 2011 10:34 AM by goodstich44 Star rating in northampton. 1648 posts Send private message

.........and save a huge amount of suffering and many lives.

Like 0      
25 Jan 2011 10:55 AM by chefette22 Star rating. 32 posts Send private message

Goodstich44. Bannig smoking in public places will never save lives. We have no specific evidence that passive smoking kills. When was the last time you heard of someones cause of death being from passive smoking? The smokers will either sit outside and enjoy the beautiful weather here in Spain or will remain in their own homes. Would you like to see a ban on people smoking in their own homes?. Im sure that you would.

Like 0      
25 Jan 2011 11:22 AM by elcantal Star rating in Mojacar. 24 posts Send private message

chefette2

Bad habit though it is, I have to agree with you. There is very little substantial evidence that 'passive' smoking kills. Offensive to some it may well be; life threatening? No good scientific conclusions ever produced. Good enough though to raise extra taxes, at least in the short term.

And why isn't the freedom to smoke in prisons against the Human Rights of non-smoking inmates?

A little more respect allround is the best solution.

Like 0      
25 Jan 2011 12:00 PM by amep75 Star rating. 79 posts Send private message

hi good stich my brother also lives in notrhampton and he is am old misery too we live in the sunshine so we dont have anything to moan about guess we wont see you much in spain thank god and why would you care what the happy spanish do anyway we have no interest in northampton why would anyone

Like 0      
25 Jan 2011 1:03 PM by amep75 Star rating. 79 posts Send private message

hi cheffette do you really think tourists go to northampton obviously you have never been there!! its the pits full of whingers

Like 0      
25 Jan 2011 2:04 PM by goodstich44 Star rating in northampton. 1648 posts Send private message

amep75

cor.....you're lovely you are.

Like 0      
25 Jan 2011 2:17 PM by amep75 Star rating. 79 posts Send private message

just like you

still at least i dont complain abotu foreigners in their own country although we normally like the english here

Like 0      
25 Jan 2011 2:31 PM by normansands Star rating in Kent. 1281 posts Send private message

Dear All,

human selfishness is horrid in all its forms, if your satisfaction involves you abusing others you should be stopped by whatever means.................zero tolerance................no question.

I remember my eldest daughter's first day of work.

She takes after her mother and is both beautiful and diligent.

She was indeed a picture of such beauty when she left home proudly on that day.............she looked beautiful, was dressed beautifully and smelt likewise.

When she returned at the end of the day she, her clothes, her hair and her skin stank of stale tobacco smoke and she felt sick.

There is no possible excuse for what was done to her by the office smokers........................none whatsoever.

It has rightlfully been banned and should have been much earlier.

By all means enjoy yourself but not at others expense.

Regards

Norman

Like 0      

Pages: Previous | ... | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | ... | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Halifax/Lloyds takeover - 25 posts
HELP FIND NATACHA - Disappeared in Marbella 1st Dec 7PM - 4 posts
Strike Action Over Xmas - 1 posts
Two years in Spain! - 4 posts
Qatar to host the 2022 World Cup - 7 posts
Russia to host 2018 World Cup - 2 posts
Expensive UK - 17 posts
Insurance for Bicycles - 2 posts
The end of the €425 unemployment benefit - 11 posts
certificado habitacion - 10 posts
GAS BOTTLE HEATING - 6 posts
selling spanish reg car in england - 1 posts
"The Building Log Book" versus "Libro de Edificio" - 0 posts
USING MONEYCORP - 12 posts
Vodafone Customer Service - 5 posts
Introducing aguilas389 - 1 posts
hi - 1 posts
Freesat Recorders - 4 posts
How do the the three kings arrive in your town / city? - 4 posts
tax office address - 2 posts
Golf Share in Guadalmina Golf - 4 posts
Pig on the roof - 2 posts
Bed & breakfast suggestions - Calais to Orihuela (Alicante) route - 8 posts
EEOs - 38 posts
Can anyone recomend a property management company who cover Puerto de Mazarron - 1 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 251

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x