Car park attendants

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
09 Jul 2010 12:00 AM by amatista Star rating. 440 posts Send private message

Hi,

I was wondering whether the car park attendants at the La Cala Car Park (public parking area outside Supersol) and those at Cabopino Beach parking are actually legal. I understand they are there to regulate traffic, but should we pay them or not? I was told by one guy (in the luminous yellow singlet) that it was voluntary, and it was up to me whether I paid him or not. A friend of mine went recently to park at Cabopino and intended to give him €1 as I had done previoiusly. She didn´t have any change so decided to leave. He then whistled her back, and told her she had to pay! My question is this - are these guys regulated, and if so, where does the money go? Directly to them?

Gracias, Jane

Like 0      
09 Jul 2010 1:07 PM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar

If they are legal they normally have a photo ID card with the local council's stamp on it hanging around their necks.  We see these around Malaga city.

Otherwise they are illegal.

Going back quite a few years, these guys demanded payment to "protect your car".  In other words, if you don't pay them they'll do something to your car.  Mafia style!

I don't think these days they do bother to do something to your car but they are annoying.  I normally just remind them that it's a free car park.  Best thing is just to shout "gratis" in you best English accent and walk away.  I've done this loads of times and it's been fine.

Just watch them quietly move away when the local police drive by!

Justin

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
09 Jul 2010 2:09 PM by amatista Star rating. 440 posts Send private message

Thanks Justin - I thought these car parks were gratis year round, but the guys can be quite intimidating if you don´t pay.

Like 0      
09 Jul 2010 2:46 PM by KellyMaria Star rating. 45 posts Send private message

I don't wan't to alarm anyone but 2 weeks ago a friend of mine parked in a free carpark and was approached by one of these guys, my friend said it was free and wasn't going to pay them.  When he return they had manage to move his car (by bumping it up and down and pushing it) out into the middle, they then called the policia who put a fine ticket on his car so when he returned  he had to pay a large fine straight away...so I know it's not right but maybe it's better to just give them a euro it's much cheaper.

Like 0      
09 Jul 2010 3:26 PM by goodstich44 Star rating in northampton. 1648 posts Send private message

KellyMaria

That's really awful, but I think if you give in to them, the crooks in Spain have won yet again!  Justin's angle sounds the best to me.

Couldn't your friend have explained to the police about the scam?, I doubt it's the first incident they will have seen?

Like 0      
09 Jul 2010 3:40 PM by dartboy Star rating. 95 posts Send private message

you will probably find they are in on it and have been called directly, then they share the fine.

Like 0      
09 Jul 2010 3:55 PM by goodstich44 Star rating in northampton. 1648 posts Send private message

dartboy

well I did wonder?, but any negative comments like that and you risk the wrath of the 'happy clappers' coming down on you!

I would have thought the shop keepers would have wanted those toe-rags moved on pretty quickley? Can't be good for business if you have to risk bribary just to park your car?

Like 0      
09 Jul 2010 4:00 PM by redsam79 Star rating in Los Pacos, Costa del.... 192 posts Send private message

This sort of thing happens in the side streets surrounding many football league grounds in the UK every Saturday. Usually kids, who say they will look after your car for a couple of pounds. I pay it and get on with it. It's never happened to me in Spain, but certainly in the UK it is only young kids and not intimidating at all......Don't quite think it's the crooks winning again.

Young entrepreneurs??.....(joke goodstich)

This message was last edited by redsam79 on 09/07/2010.

SUCCESS IS SIMPLY A MATTER OF LUCK....ASK ANY FAILURE!!

Like 0      
09 Jul 2010 4:06 PM by dartboy Star rating. 95 posts Send private message

they have to suppliment their wages some how or they wouldn't be able to afford to live in the area unless they get a low rate mortgauge or rent,but we are to blame for driving the prices of property up so maybe we should pay for it.

we have the same thing where i live with the car washers in supermarket carparks,they wash you car without your say so then demand to be paid for it,i nearly ran one over last week because he wouldn't get out the way

Like 0      
09 Jul 2010 4:15 PM by goodstich44 Star rating in northampton. 1648 posts Send private message

flippin eck!.......that's awful where ever it happens. If allowed to go on, then the bad guys have won. I fear it's then the thin end of the wedge?

Like 0      
09 Jul 2010 4:24 PM by goodstich44 Star rating in northampton. 1648 posts Send private message

redsam79

well you have a point, they might as well get some some practice in, they might want to work in the Spanish property industry one day? .

Like 0      
09 Jul 2010 4:26 PM by redsam79 Star rating in Los Pacos, Costa del.... 192 posts Send private message

Perhaps even become a politician in the UK goodstich

Like 0      
09 Jul 2010 4:32 PM by redsam79 Star rating in Los Pacos, Costa del.... 192 posts Send private message

Billy Connolly was visiting his home town and parked his Bentley in the Gorbals.

As he was leaving the car a little lad approached him and said: "Gi'us £2 to look after your car mister."

Billy drew the boy's attention to the back seat of the car. Sitting there was a vicious-looking dog, barking, snarling and slavering from the mouth. "See that, son? That's the smartest and best guard dog around, and the only guard I need to look after my car. Now sod off."

As he was walking away, the boy shouted after him: "Can it put out fires?"

Like 0      
09 Jul 2010 4:34 PM by goodstich44 Star rating in northampton. 1648 posts Send private message

well quite possibly?,  but for that  Zapatero's and his cowboys are closer to home and more than fit the bill!

Like 0      
09 Jul 2010 4:38 PM by goodstich44 Star rating in northampton. 1648 posts Send private message

redsam79

re:   Billy Connolly.............oh yes, I like that one!

Like 0      
09 Jul 2010 4:43 PM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Estate agent in rellue - 0 posts
Looking to rent in the village of Sucina - 0 posts
What is happening to thread titles?? - 6 posts
Reliable Administrators in Duquesa/Sotogrande Area - 1 posts
Christmas in Playa Flamenca - 5 posts
Help please re urbanisation rule liability - 8 posts
Live and work in Spain for free, and gain experience for your CV! - 0 posts
ADANA Upcoming Event Sunday 18 July 2010 - 0 posts
reforma ley de trafico - 3 posts
Bad experience with long term rental - 21 posts
Very Fresh - 2 posts
FS - Freesat HD box - boxed like new - 3 posts
a hi and advice needed - 13 posts
Herrado del Tollo - 1 posts
Rio Seco walk - Pinar de Camopoverde - 2 posts
Watching the Grand Prix on Sunday at Duquesa or Sebanillas - 5 posts
UK Military pension and moving to Spain?? - 21 posts
Looking for galvanised steel fencing panels in concrete posts - 1 posts
Andreason V Zapatero Round 2 - 4 posts
Who is supporting Spain today? - 54 posts
Laws about taking dogs back to the UK - 18 posts
Website Fixer Needed - 3 posts
Specsavers - 4 posts
Fostering in Spain - 5 posts
MAPS? - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 16

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x