10000000's of questions about moving permanently to Spain.

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
01 May 2007 2:05 PM by NatalieJane Star rating in Accrington, UK. 21 posts Send private message

Thanks Mike, that is fantastic! Lots of things on there that we will need to do before we move - look forward to any updates!!

Like 0      
01 May 2007 5:45 PM by jules1 Star rating in St Ives, Cambridgesh.... 264 posts Send private message

jules1´s avatar

Hi Mike,

I agree what a small world! St Ives is certainly a nice place to live and there are lots of lovely villages round it with good country pubs! However the countryside can be a bit bleak and flat in the winter - this is where Spain will win hands down!

Regards,

Jules

Like 0      
02 May 2007 10:12 AM by difi Star rating in Roda Golf . 146 posts Send private message

Hi Mike,

Thanks so much for the information you sent - extremely helpful (and daunting!) - I think we'd better start now!

Cheers.

Di

Like 0      
18 Jun 2007 2:17 PM by Dominic Pape Star rating. 1 posts Send private message

Me and my partner are 20 and 21 and are looking for a new start away from england, we are seriously looking at spain and would like to do it properly not a spur of the moment thing. im looking for info in regards to how much money we need, oppurtunitys. the best places to live, we are looking for somewhere near the coast and friendly, also do you need alot of money to get your self started and be a high earner to have a nice apartment. if anyone could give me some info on this i would be very gratefull. thanksalot.Dominic

Like 0      
18 Jun 2007 2:37 PM by georgia Star rating in Algorfa (As seen on .... 1835 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

georgia´s avatar

Hi Dominic,

There  are a few questions you need to ask yourself first,what part of Spain do you want to live in?Cost Blanca,Calida,Del Sol etc.......

Obviously these areas differ in price for property and cost of living.

When you have a budget and reqiurements that are achievable this should pretty much dictate where you could live.

If you need to work (which you probably do)what proffesion or skills do you have,this will determine the chances of finding work.

You do not need a great deal of money to start and survive here,once you have the neccesities the cost of living is quite low,if you need a mortgage this will have to be balanced aginst your earning potential.

I would suggest somewhere like Algorfa or Guardamar,Costa Blanca,you will find this both friendly and coastal and also there is a reasonable amount of job oppurtunities,around £100,000 will buy you a decent apartment within reach of all amenities and the local beaches.

Hope this helps

Regards

Georgia

Like 0      
18 Jun 2007 8:15 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar
The simple answer is, you need to bring as much money as you possibly can, and rent an apartment first until you find your feet. A lot will be dictated by where you find employment. Don't expect great wages. If earning a great living and accumulating material wealth are your goals, stay in England and work your guts out.

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
22 Jun 2007 1:29 PM by pknott Star rating in Costa Blanca. 142 posts Send private message

pknott´s avatar
Howdy...as a newbie I want to give you my thoughts...thus far

We decided around 2 years ago we wanted to move to spain....we visited various places...Catalonia, Valencia Com, Baleriacs....we narrowed down and we spent 4 weeks N & S of Barcelona...decided it wasn't for us and have now visited CB .. specifically the Jalon Valley and decided we wanted to live there.

I personally think you have to visit and drive and drive.....to see what you like. Its odd how you suddenly stumble on something and you don't want to leave

I always would go visiting and touring out of season (I have three children....11, 7 and 3) and you get the quiet viewpoint outside of tourist chaos. We also experienced the local Health Service at Easter when my wife and Son were taken into hosiptal for 5 days (Easter time) and I must say that even though their English was not great, nor was our spanish...but boy in time of need do you learn quickly and the care we had was fabulous

We are just in the process of selling our house etc but we don't intend to move until June 2008. I'll probably give up work in early 2008, and then my full time job is the move...I too have produced an xls on all aspects of our move and its grows and grows by the day. I'm not the type who can just wing it...and with 3 children I don't think its a good idea. I don't live in the UK currently and having moved once with 1 child it can be quite stressful time for all

One of my key pieces of advice (in the planning stage) is to trawl the forums and find the 3 that really help...this is the top 1 I have found...also buy books...I have got

You and the Law in Spain (David Searl) - this is a good one and so much is documented....but I have even more questions

Also

Living and Working in Spain (Can't remember the author)

I would be interested in knowing how plans are going for any people who are in the stage

1. Planning stage (actually moving)

2. Mid Movement

3. Arrived (setup)

4. 1 year on....

Anyone?

Like 0      
30 Oct 2007 8:45 PM by chrissmith Star rating. 158 posts Send private message

chrissmith´s avatar
Hi all,

Within this thread Mike T offered to send his planning spreadheet to anyone who contacted him directly. I haven't been on this forum for long so did not get a chance to ask when he made the offer. Unfortunately, having now contacted Mike, the spreadsheet is on his PC in UK so I hoped anyone who  were sent  the file could possibly let me know so that a copy could be forwarded to me. I am moving to Spain next year and I need all the help I can get so your help would really appreciated.

Cheers
Chris

Like 0      
08 Nov 2007 1:25 PM by pknott Star rating in Costa Blanca. 142 posts Send private message

pknott´s avatar
Errr...I'd like a copy of this xls as well? Anyone got it ?

Like 0      
08 Nov 2007 7:45 PM by Rixxy Star rating in San Pedro. 2010 posts Send private message

Rixxy´s avatar
Why dont you both PM Miket, Im sure he would oblige with a copy

Quite frankly m'dear, I don't give a damn!

www.herbalmarbella.com

Like 0      
08 Nov 2007 11:15 PM by chrissmith Star rating. 158 posts Send private message

chrissmith´s avatar
Hi,

The problem is that the spreadsheet is on Mike T's PC back in UK so he can't send it through so hoping someone else might have it.

Cheers
Chris

Like 0      
08 Nov 2007 11:15 PM by chrissmith Star rating. 158 posts Send private message

chrissmith´s avatar
Hi,

The problem is that the spreadsheet is on Mike T's PC back in UK so he can't send it through so hoping someone else might have it.

Cheers
Chris

Like 0      
10 Nov 2007 9:15 AM by pknott Star rating in Costa Blanca. 142 posts Send private message

pknott´s avatar
Its OK....I got a PM with the XLS...sorted...ta

Like 0      

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Security Grills - 2 posts
wok buffet san javier? - 25 posts
new air line - 5 posts
appartment needed - 5 posts
Community Charges - 27 posts
Spanish Dream - 24 posts
ANGER MANAGEMENT (Deserved its own thread) - 14 posts
The things kids say .....!!!! - 2 posts
Contact name and number for Iberdrola - 2 posts
House Shares - 1 posts
FREEBIES - 2 posts
3 Molinos - Anyone Buying Or Know Of The Development? - 3 posts
Phoning home? - 2 posts
Furniture Wanted - 19 posts
Purchasing property in the Spanish Countryside between Alicante and Murcia - 10 posts
The stockmarket - 4 posts
Interesting/cool photos! - 39 posts
signing of escrutura - 5 posts
how easy is it to get a mortgage........ - 5 posts
Spanish Bubble Burst - 7 posts
Housing Transaction Costs in Europe - 2 posts
Problem mortgage broker - 11 posts
Grupo Trampolin's site at Albudiete called Royal Dream - 4 posts
Average Wages In Spain - All trades etc - Commuting to UK? - 10 posts
visit to town council - 3 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 33

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x