Hello, First Time Looking to buy in Villamartin or Surrounding Area

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
15 Jun 2010 12:00 AM by Liam10uk Star rating. 5 posts Send private message

Hello,

Never bought property abroad, so am a real newcomer, just looking for some advice and information.

Anyone got a general idea on how much maintenance/tax you would have to pay on a 100,000 euro priced property with a communal pool?

I have been before a few time to this area, but I always had a car, just wondering if anyone know anything about public transport in this area, cos i've never used it and is it okay?

I've had a few holidays in the Villamartin area,but haven't been for a few years, When i stayed there I always had a car, but my mum is thinking about buying a property in this sort of area and she doesn't drive, i know you can more or less walk to the plaza and all she really wants is that its near a supermarket to get her shopping.

Which area (Near Villamartin) do you think would be best for someone who doesn't drive? Someone suggested Playa Flamenca because its got better public transport?

Its quite hard to find information on the internet about Villamartin, I've only found a few places, I'm trying to show my mum about the area, cos she has never been is more or less going off my recommendation as I really enjoyed it the few times I went and thoguht its a nice place for a holiday home as there is quite alot there without being over the top.

What are soem general tips for first time buyers to look out for? we will be buying a resale and it will be for cash

Any Advice will be greatly appreciated as I'm very much starting at the start and its exciting and Scary all at the same time!

Like 0      
15 Jun 2010 2:17 PM by suemac Star rating in Jumilla, Murcia. 1001 posts Send private message

I don't know the area that well, though I have been on viewing trips around Villamartin.  A couple of important things to consider though for your Mum.

First, as you said that she has never been to the area before: once you have an idea about where she is going to buy (based on recommendations from those people who do know about Villamartin) your Mum needs to spend some time there on her own to see if she likes it, and more importantly whether she can get around using public transport.  I am sure there are plenty of places to rent, given the current economic climate!

Secondly, you don't say how old she is, but I am assuming she will be retiring there, so how good is her health?  Does she speak any Spanish? If she is on her own, without transport, she needs to be somewhere that is handy for doctors and hospitals.

Thirdly, you should be able to get a bargain now if you are looking at resales, but do ensure you get good advice from those in the know.  For example, did you know that debts are attached to the property rather than to the individual?  You need to ensure any property is mortgage-free and debt-free before parting with any money.

Finally, whatever you do, make sure you get an independent lawyer and not one recommended by your estate agent!

This is a great site, so I am sure you will get lots more good advice here.

Good luck.

Sue

Sue Walker

Author of "Retiring the Ole Way", now available on Amazon

See my blog about our life in Spain: www.spainuncovered.com

Like 0      
15 Jun 2010 3:07 PM by Liam10uk Star rating. 5 posts Send private message

My mum is mid 50's and in good health, she doesn't nned doctors or anything like that ,she's fit and healty.

We're just looking for a nice holiday home in a decent area with other english people.

Like 0      
15 Jun 2010 3:20 PM by suemac Star rating in Jumilla, Murcia. 1001 posts Send private message

Thanks for explaining that, as it does put a different perspective on things.  John and I are in our 60s and luckily we too are in good health, however as we have retired here we had to consider that things could change as we get older!

There is a bus station in Torrevieja, so you find more information about destinations there.  http://www.torrevieja.com/es/servicios/horario-de-autobuses/index.1.html

Sue

Sue Walker

Author of "Retiring the Ole Way", now available on Amazon

See my blog about our life in Spain: www.spainuncovered.com

Like 0      
15 Jun 2010 4:25 PM by ayrez Star rating in La Marina Oasis. 379 posts Send private message

Hi

We like Villamartin and have a place on Verdemar one of the older (and better in our opinion) areas on Villamartin. We can walk to Supermarkets and bars and even to the plaza by walking through Villamartin golf course.

Take care when buying, ensure that the property has mains electricity and water. I understand that many urbs are not yet connected as they have no Cert of habitation. Do not believe anyone that says it is not a problem and that it means you get free electric and water. You should not get bills but you are depending on the developer paying the bills. There have been many urbs having to pay off debts for utilities that the developer has not paid.

I understand there is public transport but  as we always drive up cannot give any further details.

Jean

Like 0      
15 Jun 2010 5:46 PM by Patty_1 Star rating in Hertfordshire. UK. .... 1062 posts Send private message

Hi Liam

Welcome to the forum.

If you are looking for a resale might be worth you talking to Georgia  on the forum he is a honest reliable estate agent.

He will be able to tell you what is available at the moment, also the best area for your Mum.

Contact                    Info@distantshores.es

www.PrimeSpanishProperty.com  

Pat

Like 0      
15 Jun 2010 5:51 PM by Liam10uk Star rating. 5 posts Send private message

Thanks for the help!

We're just looking for somewhere that i close enough to walk to the local amenites (pubs, Etc), but far enough walk away so that you can't hear it if you choose not to go out in the summer months, there are so many areas in the vicinity of Villamartin its all abit confusing, when trying to choose, but someone has recommending Playa Flamenca so we will be checking out that kind of area and see what they have for us in our price range.

Any help is very much appreciated, i'd like to hear  how people find their little areas and urbanizacions, I'm sure you picked them for good reason when you bought them.

Like 0      
15 Jun 2010 5:52 PM by rowlandsbb Star rating in Gloucestershire &Hue.... 779 posts Send private message

rowlandsbb´s avatar

You will be able to find a lot of good advice on EOS from those who have already bought and are happy

But will also see posts about the problem developments and buyers who have not in the past been treated fairly or properly by all the parties involved in the buying process in Spain

And it has to be said that the Spanish authorities/laws have also been neglectful and often appear not to help 

Having said that, if you take the same care about buying in Spain as you would in UK then you will not have a problem

And the regulations are now much tighter so that in general it is safe to buy

When you find what you like, there is no need to pay a reservation deposit or even a large deposit when you sign a contract, as it is easy to leave paying money to the seller until you are at the Notary, getting the deeds

Naturally you need a good independent lawyer

There are lots of re sales and ready now property and the asking prices are at very competitive prices- but they are ‘asking prices’ and if you are a serious buyer just now then everyone will want to sell to !!!-buyers market

The Banks have lots of repossessions for sale with great mortgage deals and in general if a bank is selling the property and giving a mortgage then you can be sure that it meets all the legal requirements

If a property has not got a licence of first occupation and is not connected to mains water / electric then just walk away  

The best route to buying is to decide on a couple of agents, then go over to Spain and let them show you round and you will get given a lot of useful information and I’m sure you will find what you are looking for, within your budget

Properties advertised on the internet only give you a guide, a visit with a purpose can get results      

Like 0      
15 Jun 2010 6:04 PM by orlet1939 Star rating. 2 posts Send private message

Hello taxes on a property costing 100,000 EUR will be in the region of 6 -7000 EUR depending on the area you're buying.  ** EDITED - Advertising **

Like 0      
15 Jun 2010 6:09 PM by Liam10uk Star rating. 5 posts Send private message

7000 euros a year in maintenance and taxes?

that can't be right?

Like 0      
15 Jun 2010 6:16 PM by orlet1939 Star rating. 2 posts Send private message

Hi Liam,

Not not per year this for the initial purchase.  Other taxes like Community charges and the equivilent of Council taxes will vary depending on where you buy.  Council tax equivilent in my area is around 100EUR per year but this isn't the norm.  The fee to get the no parking sign outside my gate is around 30EUR per year and I don't pay Community fees as I'm in a Council adopted street and have my own pool.  Communial pools and other facilities could cost you over 100EUR per month so needs to be looked into 

Like 0      
15 Jun 2010 6:16 PM by Liam10uk Star rating. 5 posts Send private message

I see, I think you more meant this tax

Initial Costs
As well as the cost of the property, the buyer will be liable for transfer tax (IVA), which at present is 6% on a second-hand property and 7% on a new one, plus 1/2% stamp duty. The property registration office will charge you a fee to change the new deeds into your name. This is usually around 300€. There will also be notary charges for copies of the 'escritura publica'. The charge is on a scale depending on the contract price. In total you should allow 10% of the purchase price for costs. It is often the case that the buyer also pays the sellers fees. Check this at the point of enquiry and it is often possible to negotiate. Banks may also charge an opening commission for mortgage loans.

Like 0      
15 Jun 2010 6:56 PM by Jontymellor Star rating in Warrington & Cabo R.... 144 posts Send private message

I have a property in Cabo Roig, the other side of the A7 to villamartine, I like the area, I bought end of 2008, near as damit 100000e, I have a 82000e mortgage, just my option, but the on top costs to be aware are the tax, solicitors, notairs, aroung 10 to 12% on top, I was at the high end of that as I went for a mortgage.

I really love the area, the strand, for pubs, bingo, thats the wife, food, shops within walking Le Zenith, Vilamartine has 2 centres with shops restruants and pubs, but I'm far enough away not to hear anything, my wife walks down to the beach, loads of medical advice and other needs, green & blue? route buses,

I'm not over there all the time but running costs are 12e a month elec, stannding charge, water/bins etc bil every 3 month around 50e, yearly council tax 110e, 120e non resident tax yearly, 300e for the urbinasation costs, we have a pool car park and a small private road, the no residents tax, I pay a lawyer to sort this 150e for both of us.

I really like the area you are looking into, make sure you get a good english speaking lawyer, I purchased a rsale around 8 years old, there are loads of properties for sale, just make sure the urbinasation area you are buying is complete, all the area are adopted, sorry you decied what you want, no matter what people told us, my wife and I fell inlove with our little place straight away, and the agent saw this so you be sure not to do that, as I had no barganing point really as we would of paid the asking price, but dont be shy in making a offer. Dont just pay the asking price. 

Like 0      
16 Jun 2010 1:37 AM by claire T Star rating in Torremendo, Orihuela. 688 posts Send private message

EOS Supporter

Hi Liam - there are lots of properties available in the Villamartin / Playa Flamenca / La Zenia / Cabo Roig areas so you will be spoiled for choice.  I live up towards the Campoamor and Las Ramblas golf courses and love the area, but if you don't have a car you would be dependant on an hourly bus service so you are maybe better concentrating on the areas close to the N332 coastal road.

There are still some urbanisations in this area which do not have Habitation Certificates so you do need a good agent and lawyer to make sure the paperwork is all OK.  Do not buy anything where the paperwork is not complete!!!!  They will also check that there are no undeclared debts against the property which would transfer to you as the new owner.

There are lots of really good rental properties in the area and I would always advise buyers to come out for a holiday (or longer if possible) and rent something in the area you are thinking of buying in.

Rowlandsweb - I notice that you say there is no need to pay a reservation fee to an agent and just go straight to the notary.  I don't know where you get this from as no agent I know of will take a property off the market without a reservation fee - we ask for 3,000€ - to prove that the buyer is genuine.  Put yourself in the position of the seller - you take the property off the market and wait for the buyer to complete and then a few months later they walk away and you have lost out on serious buyers in the meantime.  We would not do that to our sellers.

Anyway Liam, I would be delighted to help - just send me a PM if you want to discuss.

Happy hunting!

Like 0      
16 Jun 2010 11:10 AM by Forhotspot Star rating. 233 posts Send private message

Hi Liam,

Yes you need a good, reliable & responsible agent to buy property here. I'm sure Georgia will be able to help you as he covers your interested area & he has helped me tremendously to get my dream home.  PM him and you won't regret as he has helped a lot of people in this forum.

Like 0      
16 Jun 2010 11:41 AM by sping Star rating in Stockport & Playa Go.... 148 posts Send private message

sping´s avatar

Hi Liam, The first thing I would say is; if you and your mum don’t know the area then start by either renting a place around Villamartin or stay in a hotel in the area and have a really good look around. Talk to locals, ask about your needs, buses, shops, bars, etc. Try to locate the president of the urbanisation as they will be able to help you with any questions you might have. We have a place close to Clair T on Playa Golf, and it’s really nice. Most urbanisations will have bars, restaurants, shops, so think about thing like good bus routes as walking is a bit hairy due to the lack of pavements.

Don’t just buy a place because it looks good. Clair T is also an agent and she would be a good person to get advice from regarding properties and possibly rentals as she lives and works in the area you’re looking at.

http://s376.photobucket.com/albums/oo201/Demphotos_album/?action=view¤t=PlayaGolfcomp.flv

This is a link to a quick video I made of our area.

Good luck and don’t let the sun and sangria get in the way of following the correct procedure when looking for a property; do the same as you would do in the UK, check everything out, visit the locations and ask the questions.

This message was last edited by sping on 16/06/2010.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Router problem - 3 posts
satelite tv set up - 5 posts
Justin, look what eye found! - 2 posts
Case Won and Money Returned - Maria & Costa Luz Lawyers - 21 posts
Bank Guarantee - Case won and money returned - Maria & Costa Luz Lawyers - 42 posts
Upvc - 0 posts
Rattan Garden furniture - 3 posts
Apartment for Sale - 1 posts
How do I load a Powerpoint presentation into a new thread - 1 posts
Problems with President, Administrators and repairs been done. - 5 posts
How to get Spanish accent marks on your PC - 12 posts
Visual link Spanish - 0 posts
Teaching English in San Javier, Murcia - need information - 2 posts
Thank you to EOS!! - 2 posts
Musicians? - 12 posts
Im new and im moving to a spanish Cave House! - 8 posts
Im new and im going to move to a Spanish Cave House! - 6 posts
Gibraltar - 3 posts
Maria does it again!! - 23 posts
Land classification - Suelo No Urbanizable Comun - 2 posts
Fake Telefonica Phone Call - WARNING!!! - 1 posts
Velez Rubio How Nice - 3 posts
Should I give an estate agent a copy of my deeds? - 3 posts
Bank transactions - need some help with the lingo/descriptions! - 6 posts
Advice on selling privately - 6 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 16

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x