Golf courses struggling and facing closure

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
17 Mar 2010 12:00 AM by Faro Star rating in London. 1139 posts Send private message

Apparently some golf courses on the coast are struggling financially and facing closure.

This applies particularly to those golf courses which were built in advance and now all the developments that should have been built in the area alongside have stopped - so limited revenue!

Also recent rains have done a lot of damage.

Bad for those who bought onto developments adjacent to golf courses and more so for those who bought rights or life-time memberships.

Of course this will impact on value for anyone owning property on a golf type development with golf course now closed - who do you blame for that?

Like 0      
18 Mar 2010 10:24 AM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar

I went with some friends for a drink yesterday evening to Finca Cortesin, which is the golf course now used in the Volva World Matchplay Championship.

It is a stunning place, recenly finished, but the whole area was dead.  When the three of us arrived we were treated like royalty...and the subsequent bill made us realise why!

But yes, I can see why golf courses could close.  I am sure Finca Cortesin is being bank-rolled by some wealthy individuals, but how long can it continue for?

Justin

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
18 Mar 2010 10:51 AM by Pitby Star rating in Andalucía. 1904 posts Send private message

Pitby´s avatar

You wouldn't think so, looking at the green fees for Finca Cortesin, others like La Reserva, San Roque Old and Sotogrande!  Won't even mention Valderrama (who previously hosted the Volvo World Matchpay).  Am booking a round for Sunday and don't think we'll be playing any of those!

I did read on here that Doña Julia has closed indefinitely due to damage on a couple of the holes after the rains - is that correct?  Shame, as I quite like playing there.

Like 0      
18 Mar 2010 1:57 PM by David W Star rating. 199 posts Send private message

David W´s avatar

When i played Dona Julia recently' i was asked afterwards if i'd come back. the course was fine but tee boxes scruffy.

I was told that because there are literally hundreds of empty properties around the couse they were struggling for green fees

The good news was they were putting the prices up!!!

Fun course but will it be there long??? i don't think so.

Like 0      
18 Mar 2010 2:03 PM by Sanchez1 Star rating. 853 posts Send private message

The simple problem is that there are far too many golf courses on the Costa del Sol.  There are 12 within a 15 minute drive of my house.  The other problem is that the green fees they charge are a joke.  I love golf, but I'm not prepared to pay 50 odd euros for one round. 

Read my blog: Spain Money Saving Tips and Offers 

Use TransferWise to send money abroad. A lot cheaper than the bank and other online currency exchanges!.

Like 0      
18 Mar 2010 2:07 PM by David W Star rating. 199 posts Send private message

David W´s avatar

I was just visiting friends in the CDS

My place is on a course in Almeria slightly cheaper and not so many around

Suits me just fine!!!!!

But each to their own

Like 0      
18 Mar 2010 2:14 PM by Pitby Star rating in Andalucía. 1904 posts Send private message

Pitby´s avatar

Personally, I think 50 odd euros for a round isn't too bad - it cost about double that for a round in Dubai during the winter months!  So it's pretty reasonable to us.

I think, as Faro says, it's mainly the newer courses that were built for developments that may be struggling.  Saying that, I notice that Valle Romano is opening very soon - having been delayed for some months.

And I don't think there could ever be too many golf courses!!

Like 0      
18 Mar 2010 4:49 PM by nitram Star rating in castalla. 175 posts Send private message

€ 50.00 is not a bad price for a game of golf, if the course is a good one. In the Alicante area between Benidorm and the border of Murcia a distance of 128klm we have only 15 courses.

So Sanchez1 if you have too many courses down there export some to this region, €50.00 is expesive and you would not pay that, the courses here charge between €45.00 and €80.00, so after being a fanatic when in the u.k playing anything up to 3 or 4 days a week down to zero a week here for the last 6 years i´m afraid that my golf has gone to pot and semi retired early from the great game, never thought i would never play again but just can´t afford it. I suppose it´s that Spanish thing again a luxury item.

Nitram

Like 0      
18 Mar 2010 5:02 PM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar

Agree with Nitram.  Around here the courses charge anything from 50 to 80 euros for a round on what are, to be honest, not the best courses.  They won't give reduced rates to residents and I just cannot justify around 150 euros a week to play a couple of times.  (My associate members fees in UK were £450 a year, agreed with some limitations, but I could get out 3 or 4 times a week, especially in the summer).

I wouldn't mind paying, say, 500 or 600 euros for a year membership here but, no, they insist on the full green fee each time which mounts up.  Even a course where losing half a dozen balls per round (due to the amount of gulleys and ramblas) charges €50 a pop. 

Like 0      
18 Mar 2010 6:21 PM by mcdona Star rating. 12 posts Send private message

Like 0      
18 Mar 2010 8:09 PM by davebangor Star rating in Bangor (the one in b.... 92 posts Send private message

davebangor´s avatar

I am a part time Murcia resident on La Torre  and residents are asked to stump up €55 for what is a well constructed but short course. As a cost per yard basis it is a world leader I would reckon.

Of course La Torre is a Polaris World so you could be forgiven for thinking they must surely have some imaginative offers in an attempt to rake in some much needed cash. Sadly you would be wrong!

I am fortunate in so far as I ceased being a fanatic after being addicted man & boy. For the last few years I have not played more than half a dozen times a year. You should  try it, whilst I might struggle to maintain my low single figure handicap, I feel the freedom to really enjoy a round without stressing over the score has brought back my enjoyment of the game.

Like 0      
19 Mar 2010 7:56 AM by goodstich44 Star rating in northampton. 1648 posts Send private message

50-100e for a game of golf???????????.  I find it quite revolting that any relatively simple sport from the point of equipment required to play, is set up purely for wealthy people and not accessable to the majority. I hope they go bust if that's the best they can do, whatever country?. Hopefully someone will realise that by building courses that more can afford to use, they will get a much higher turnover of players and make their money that way rather than excluding many who love the game but can't afford it.  I'ts a fabulous game, but I've always hated the snobbery and quite often stupid dress standards associated with golf.

Like 0      
19 Mar 2010 9:09 AM by nicolaraho Star rating in Surrey and Mar Menor.... 90 posts Send private message

I would like to think that these courses can start to think outside the box and make the game affordable to most.......... My 11 year has been playing a year and loves it but we have to limit the times she plays because of the costs....... she has to go with her father, then there are the golf buggies that are recommended in the summer etc etc... It is obvious that the more players they attract due to good pricing and good courses, the more they will make in the bars and in the resort facilities.....i would have thought.......

Like 0      
19 Mar 2010 10:15 AM by TheQuietMan Star rating in UK and very occasion.... 535 posts Send private message

We also think the prices on the resorts are high. In general the Polaris World courses are very good, looked after to a high standard but pricey. 50 euro's per person and 30 euro's for a buggy is steep and often restricts players to one or two games during a visit (unless you have saved up) Polaris dont seem to have the foresight to see that regular offers will bring in custom, and they are not alone. You do wonder who are the business managers of all these resorts as they dont seem to understand how to get the best out of what they have and encourage people to come back. Making something expensive doesnt always gaurentee quality either. At the moment our Condado de Alhama course is in its infancy and whilst it is a very good course the resort is still in development and once they have the further landscaping sorted and build the club house it will be excellent. But the powers that be should have regular offers on to encourage  people to sample the new course and to come into the bar and use the restaurant.

I'm less concerned about having to dress appropriately for playing- I like the fact there are standards and for the most part it just means no jeans- many people play in shorts, proper shoes rather than open toed sandals ( you can hire shoes for about 10 euro's) and a t shirt with a colour.

Maybe some of those struggling courses should become municipal courses with none of the clothes regulations and cheaper club hire and rates for playing!

Tony.

Like 0      
19 Mar 2010 10:57 AM by oliverson Star rating. 71 posts Send private message

I don't think 50 Euro's is particularly expensive for a round of golf but with the exchange rate (GBP/EUR) near parity it definitely is!

£ 50 today

£ 35 three years ago

I guess you could argue the same about bars and restaurants closing down.  It's all down to the depression and the exchange rates.

Like 0      
19 Mar 2010 11:36 AM by goodstich44 Star rating in northampton. 1648 posts Send private message

oliverson

only partly, but others threads cover the main reasons.

Like 0      
19 Mar 2010 11:57 AM by Pitby Star rating in Andalucía. 1904 posts Send private message

Pitby´s avatar

Go to more establilshed courses and you'll find that, even though they may have felt the effects of the depression obviously, they are still busy when comparing to the newer courses built for housing developments.

And you'll find lots of Spanish, German and other europeans out there playing - yes, the British aren't the only ones who play golf in Spain! - so a euro is a euro is a euro, basically!  Exchange rate doesn't come into it for lots of golfers teeing off in Spain.

Like 0      
19 Mar 2010 2:20 PM by Sanchez1 Star rating. 853 posts Send private message

Sorry, I was in a bit of a rush when I last posted.  I should have said that 50 euros is at the cheaper end of the scale.  A lot of the courses charge a lot more than that, some deservedly so.  The high prices just don't make sense to me, especially in the current climate.  I think they have taken the typical Spanish approach of burying their heads in the sand, hoping everything will get better.

Anyway, it looks like Estepona Golf at least has realised that Spain is in a recession and has some very good deals on at the moment.  It's probably not the best course on the coast, but it suites me.  More details here.

This message was last edited by Sanchez1 on 19/03/2010.

This message was last edited by Sanchez1 on 19/03/2010.

Read my blog: Spain Money Saving Tips and Offers 

Use TransferWise to send money abroad. A lot cheaper than the bank and other online currency exchanges!.

Like 0      
19 Mar 2010 3:11 PM by AP007 Star rating in London. 29 posts Send private message

I have read this thread with great interest being an avid golfer myself although like most of us working not enough time to actually play.

What would you all considered a fair annual membership fee to be.

Like 0      
19 Mar 2010 3:44 PM by JC1 Star rating in Manchester and La Du.... 963 posts Send private message

JC1´s avatar

I have just returned from a few days of golf...the best course for value was either La Canada or Los Aqueros..100 euros for 2 plus buggy. some of the prices are rediculous thought ..Almenara 68 euros and no buggy..I did find a new 9 hole course ..El Higuelera ( spelling) fantastic condition and 45 euros for as much golf as you like...although don't expect a grand clubhouse.

Regards

John

Like 0      

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Developer not paying community fees on unsold units - 2 posts
If the site looks a bit wonky... - 6 posts
Free market for electricity - do we need to do anything? - 2 posts
Happy San Patrick´s day - 2 posts
Applying for a Spanish passport - 23 posts
skamper ramps for dogs sarety around the pool this summer. - 0 posts
Handing back the keys to the bank - 4 posts
pushbikes - 2 posts
Cedula de habitacion - 3 posts
Ireland Spain furniture moving - 1 posts
New Golf course Gran alacant - 0 posts
A right old mess....please help! - 3 posts
mary poppins - 1 posts
Hola - 1 posts
It's Really Not That Long - 4 posts
cala la real in Jaen Province - 14 posts
Big claims in favour of consumers - 0 posts
Help narrowing down sabbatical location + long term rentals in Andalucia? - 5 posts
Trust Funds - 0 posts
End of Easyjet Credit Card - 9 posts
inheritance tax - 6 posts
President - 19 posts
air conditioning repairs - 2 posts
A Riddle - 3 posts
Are there Pet Crematoriums in Murcia area? - 1 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 24

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x