Networking is one of the key marketing tools for businesses in Spain, and when starting or running a business here, it’s highly recommended to take advantage of the opportunities networking has to offer. The main benefits of networking are:
- Raise awareness of you and your company
- Allows you access to experienced business people to ask advice and get practical support if you’re new to the area
- Builds a network of trusted suppliers who you can turn to
- Builds trust in you and therefore your business
- Gives you marketing opportunities to give speeches, publicise your business via their website or newsletters and of course meet new people at each and every meeting
- It is a great opportunity to meet like-minded people and build your social network in a new place
Building trust is probably one of the most important benefits of networking.
Unfortunately there is a huge lack of trust in areas such as the Costa del Sol and this makes it a completely different place to do business. Rather than simply raise awareness of what you do, you must first convince people that you do what you say you will, that you are not a cowboy who will disappear into the night with their money and that you’re here to stay. Networking is the best tool for overcoming this massive barrier and so crucial to doing business in Spain.
Here is a list of Networking Dos and Don’ts to make sure we’re all doing the right things to maximise the potential of networking.
- Be brave and go and say hello to the people around you
- Bring plenty of cards and marketing materials
- Think of a concise and accurate business description so when people ask you what you do you have an answer
- Listen to others and take the time to learn about their business
- Offer help to members for free or at a very low cost
- Take advantage of all the extra promotional opportunities the networking group offers like website etc.
- Be patient – networking takes time because it’s all about building positive and long-standing relationships
- Be too shy to speak to people
- Just speak to the people you know
- Sell and push your business down people’s throats
- Get stuck talking to just one person the whole time, you’re here to meet lots of people and everyone understands that
- Be rude and constantly be looking around for someone better to talk to!
- Be critical of other members – it makes you look bad
- Forget to follow-up after the meeting – this is one of the most important elements
Fuengirola Networking and Business Day
A new one day networking event is being organised to help local business owners to increase their sales, profits and grow their business in today’s tough economic environment. “Turbo Charge Sales and Business Networking” will be held on Saturday 15th October at Hotel Las Piramides in Fuengirola. It is a not for profit event with a very affordable ticket price to allow all types of businesses to take part.
There will be a combination of presentations by inspirational business leaders and formal and informal networking opportunities. This mix of activities will equip businesses with great ideas for driving their businesses forward and a large amount of new contacts.
Tickets cost 10€ per person for a full day from 10 am to 5pm and are on sale via Eventbrite at http://turbospain.eventbrite.com/.