All EOS blogs All Spain blogs  Start your own blog Start your own blog 

Live News From Spain As It Happens

Keep up to date with all the latest news from Spain as it happens. The blog will be updated constantly throughout the day bringing you all the latest stories as they break.

Vocational students' work experience and other education reforms planned
Wednesday, June 1, 2022 @ 9:09 PM

STUDENTS taking the vocational training and education route in Spanish schools and colleges will carry out work experience as part of their course, which will count towards their eventual pension plans, the ministry of education has announced.

Pilar Alegría, in charge, says the government intends to invest €7.5 billion on covering 90% of teenagers' 'stamp', or Social Security contributions until 2025 inclusive – backdated to 2020 - with the remaining 10% covered by their work experience providers.

This means they will be eligible for contributory benefits, such as dole money, maternity and paternity leave and sick pay – which are all earnings-related, meaning they are higher than the 'basic' benefits provided instead by the State for these contingencies – and their work experience through their training will also count towards their eventual State retirement pension.

Sra Alegría says this will start from the new 2022-2023 academic year, although she is in talks with a network of companies to agree on how it will work out long term and how the scheme can be extended.

In the meantime, her department has added 28 new subject lines to Spain's vocational training route, designed with considerable industry input, and freed up over 130,000 places for students.

Currently, the vocational education and training route provides qualifications recognised in 119 different industries.

Electronics and electrical engineering is one of the subjects offered in 119 industries in the vocational training system, which is considered equivalent to academic qualifications of the same level and compatible with university (photo: Madrid regional government)

Pilar Alegría stresses the scheme is valuable in increasing 'employability' among students, particularly as it covers 'soft skills' like teamwork and interpersonal communication, and peripheral skills like digital competence, health and safety, and risk management.

Other key areas of education Pilar Alegría wants to focus on imminently include reforming the teaching profession – through retraining, and restructure of existing practices – dramatically reducing class numbers, which she says is 'absolutely essential' to guarantee 'quality schooling', and addressing school 'failure rate'.



Like 0


Only registered users can comment on this blog post. Please Sign In or Register now.


This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x