How do I set up a Webcam.

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
28 Nov 2009 12:00 AM by sanpedra Star rating. 2 posts Send private message

I am trying to find out if it is possible, and if so how costly to take a laptop to Spain to an area with no internet connection (no electricity and very remote) and maybe connect  a webcam via a mobile phone with broadband to a Movistar signal as this is the only network we get reliably. I have heard the word dongle used and do not know if this could be the solution. Please excuse my obvious ignorance about the technical side, I know what I want to achieve but not how to get the result. Thanks Sandra.

Like 0      
28 Nov 2009 12:15 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2627 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

First of all, what do you want to do with the webcam? Take a picture once in a wile, stream images? Both of which could work out very expensive if you are using a 3g phone as a MB of data is about £4 unless you have a Spanish contract. If you are looking for internet, have you considered the wireless networks like Iberbanda? You could then have a wireless router and a wireless camera to stream the images over the internet.

I'm being a bit vague, but don't really know what it is you want to do.

Mark

Like 0      
28 Nov 2009 6:22 PM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar

A "dongle" is just the name used to describe a wireless modem that you plug into the USB port of your laptop.

It's works off of a 3G mobile phone signal instead of normal ADSL but is relatively quick.

You can plug in a web cam and take pictures with it using your laptop connected to a mobile (Movistar) modem.  Obviously as you mention that there is no electricity in the area then your limitation is the battery life of your laptop.

So yes, you can do what you are saying, no problem.

One thing to note, most modern laptops now come with a camera installed so you could use that to take pictures if that's what you are trying to do.

Hope that helps.

Justin

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
30 Nov 2009 12:37 AM by sanpedra Star rating. 2 posts Send private message

Thnks  all for  your help , as I wanted to see my family in UK when e mailing, it sounds as though it will be expensive.

Sandra.

Like 0      
30 Nov 2009 7:59 AM by mike_walsh Star rating in Torrevieja. 594 posts Send private message

mike_walsh´s avatar

I haven't tried the webcam yet, Sandra. No worries though. What the others say is right. The dongle looks similar to a cigarette lighter; that is all. You plug it in to your PC port and away you go. It is mobile so you can move house and stay on line, wherever you go.

I am on Vodaphone. Again, it can be irritatingly slow downloading at times. There's pluses though. As I say it is mobile. I think my deal is about 40€ a month 24/7. 18-month contract. They tell you you get a 3g limit but ignore it - and again the irritating pop-ups. Just ignore the message that you have exceeded your limit. You are 24/7. Good luck with your move.

Russian - English Translations, Copywriting and Ghostwiting. Check my Website or email keyboardcosmetics@gmail.com for details

www.keyboardcosmetics.com

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Of Geese and Golden Eggs - 1 posts
pregantcy in spain question?? - 2 posts
Wooden sheds - 9 posts
Teleast- Beware - 1 posts
Are things turning around? - 4 posts
beware!!! this could happen to you!! - 1 posts
FOR SALE - return MONARCH flights Manchester - Murcia - 0 posts
GM LEGAL EXPERTS ALICANTE - 0 posts
Little Tikes Roadster Toddler Bed - Boys - 1 posts
community agm - 8 posts
Non-Resident taxes - 13 posts
Single LNB to dual LNB - 6 posts
how do i stop email notification of new threads - 0 posts
The power of prayer - 22 posts
how do i stop email notification of new threads - 7 posts
FINCA PARCS ACTION GROUP - NO BANK GUARANTEES - 6 posts
Disney World Spain?? - 13 posts
Vauxhall Combo Crew Van for sale - 3 posts
Spanglish and Pidgin English Won't Do - 10 posts
Costa Blanca News (What's Not On) - 0 posts
Sunrise - 9 posts
New Sky+ HD EPG comes to Amstrad boxes - 3 posts
Soccer in Spain - 2 posts
Andalucian Dream Homes - still in business? - 5 posts
modelo21 - 1 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 5

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x