Spanglish and Pidgin English Won't Do

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
25 Nov 2009 12:00 AM by mike_walsh Star rating in Torrevieja. 594 posts Send private message

mike_walsh´s avatar

We are going through a difficult period. In the past there was so much trade to be had that attention to detail in running a business was optional. It isn't now.

When I check out business websites I see the copy content (wording) is often childish. Spelling mistakes, poor grammar, unstructured sentences; quite cringe-making. Sadly, the Brits are not much better than their bi-lingual Spanish counterparts. This extends to customer profiles in local newspapers.

How can business owners expect clients to take them seriously if they cannot express themselves properly? If they don't know the difference between 'their' and 'there'? If they spell coastal 'costal' and belief as 'beleif'? I often see badly worded sentences paragraph long. If they care to let me see their content I will give them an honest opinion.

Russian - English Translations, Copywriting and Ghostwiting. Check my Website or email keyboardcosmetics@gmail.com for details

www.keyboardcosmetics.com

Like 0      
25 Nov 2009 3:03 PM by goodstich44 Star rating in northampton. 1648 posts Send private message

.......don't no wot you mean, innit.

Like 0      
25 Nov 2009 3:39 PM by Sten46 Star rating in Hatton, Derbyshire &.... 243 posts Send private message

As a lorry driver for over 40 years (and an English 'O' Level student before that!) one of my hobbies out on the highways and byways has been spotting spelling (and grammatical) mistakes on signs, hoardings and vehicles etc.

It's quite an eye-opener exactly how many there are when you are really looking!

Steve.

Steve.

Like 0      
25 Nov 2009 6:09 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2627 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

Ceefax (or its digital equivalent) is terrible for mistakes. Even one of the local newspapers publishes with scores of mistakes. Spell checkers are good, proof reading is better and a basic understanding of there/ their/ they're (and equivalents) is a must in my opinion. I only got a CSE in English, but despise how the English language is going downhill.

Don't even get me started on text speak

Mark

Like 0      
25 Nov 2009 7:36 PM by coolrunner Star rating in la marina. 91 posts Send private message

coolrunner´s avatar

i mite sop using this sight in case someone faults my speling

Like 0      
25 Nov 2009 7:46 PM by mike_walsh Star rating in Torrevieja. 594 posts Send private message

mike_walsh´s avatar

No worries, coolrunner. This is a criticism free zone. We can err here but websites and brochures, books and stories, newspapers too   ...   they must do better. Either that or it is lines:

Write out 100 lines : 'I must get my wording write.'  

Russian - English Translations, Copywriting and Ghostwiting. Check my Website or email keyboardcosmetics@gmail.com for details

Like 0      
25 Nov 2009 8:14 PM by coolrunner Star rating in la marina. 91 posts Send private message

coolrunner´s avatar

hi mike i totally agree with what you say,i just thought the post was open to a bit of fun.....ps hope your keeping well

Like 0      
25 Nov 2009 8:25 PM by mike_walsh Star rating in Torrevieja. 594 posts Send private message

mike_walsh´s avatar

Cool! Yes, in good shape and keeping my head above water, like everyone else. Hey, a good metaphor that: picture us all in the water whispering encouragement, sometimes rebukes.

I do think though that it is time for the Costas to have a good long critical look at itself. If it doesn't then it will be just another impoverished Albania.

Here, as far as the eye can see, sealed up apartments. I know they are holiday apartments but for goodness sake; relax the anti-owner laws and fill them up with Spanish (and other) people wanting a sunshine seaside break.

Like 0      
26 Nov 2009 7:41 AM by pilgrim Star rating in Costa Calida. 231 posts Send private message

pilgrim´s avatar

Goodstich44,

I think you may have stolen the London/Luton expression "INNIT".

Having emigrated years ago, from London to Higham Ferrers, Northamptonshire, I quickly learned, the expression there was, "AY UP DUCK" (Ay oop dook). Still not quite sure what it means but the expression seems to diminish beyond Burton Latimer!!

Makes Castellano simplicity itself in comparison!!

Hasta la vista!!

pilgrim

Like 0      
26 Nov 2009 9:19 AM by goodstich44 Star rating in northampton. 1648 posts Send private message

Pilgrim

well i'm only down the road (Brixworth), and I have heard 'ay up duck', but I always thought that it was from slightly more midlands, say leicester or Nottingham than northants? Being smack back in the middle of the country though, the accent does sound a mixture of north/south/east I think. A teacher at our kids junior school noticed on several occasions that the kids hang on to the letter 'A' far longer than they should, so 'angel' sounds like  aaaangel.  I assume the Spanish have accents that change frequently as we do, can you tell the difference as an english speaking person though I wonder? 

Like 0      
26 Nov 2009 9:45 AM by pilgrim Star rating in Costa Calida. 231 posts Send private message

pilgrim´s avatar

Sure,

accents and dialects can be just as confusing and amusing for people who have Spanish as a first language.

My wife is Venezuelan and now speaks very good English. She can tell pretty quickly,  which countries, Spanish speaking foreigners come from.

Bearing in mind that Latin American Spanish can be quite different in many instances to Castellano, of course.

As an aside, "Spanglish" is an official language in Miami, U.S.A. and other areas, I am told!!

All part of the melting pot mix!!

pilgrim

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Costa Blanca News (What's Not On) - 0 posts
Sunrise - 9 posts
New Sky+ HD EPG comes to Amstrad boxes - 3 posts
Soccer in Spain - 2 posts
Andalucian Dream Homes - still in business? - 5 posts
modelo21 - 1 posts
Alamanzora country club - 3 posts
New :) - 0 posts
Taxis in Aspe Costa Blanca - 0 posts
Monarch Cancelling Flights - Gatwick - 16 posts
College students in Spain/college aged students - 0 posts
Moving to Galicia - 3 posts
Los programas favoritos en Espana - 1 posts
Lawyer in Mojacar area - 4 posts
Estudiante de espanol - 0 posts
Oasis Thabernax Country Club [ Tabernas] - 5 posts
ceiling fans - 2 posts
Has anyone seen this before... - 20 posts
ready now - 0 posts
FOR SALE: SAAB 900 CONVERTIBLE - 0 posts
Mar Menor 2 Wardrobes - 2 posts
RUSHCLIFFE- were are you???? - 1 posts
Paypal Setting Up. Any Tips? - 9 posts
Another La Renta question - 0 posts
La Semana Santa en Sevilla - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 11

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x