Spain compared to England?

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
03 Apr 2009 1:38 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Hi Maria, I know what you mean regarding a certain respect.

For instance my parents & my husbands parents brought us both up to be respectful, to respect our elders, to say 'sorry', 'please', 'thankyou' etc & to wait to be asked to speak if we walked into a room where our parents were with others after we'd said 'excuse me'. Sometimes my dad would make me wait for what seemed forever as a small child & I'd say 'excuse me' again & then he'd say 'we heard you the first time, wait !' but it taught us valuable lessons that children these days often don't seem to have.

In England if we wanted the bill we'd say 'Could we have the bill, please ?' but in Spain when we say 'la cuenta por favor' (the bill please) we are told the Spanish don't add 'please' when they ask for the bill so 'la cuenta'should be said which seems rude to us.

Edited to add as I forgot: Glad you're enjoying London, Maria. We live just over 2 hrs drive from London or would've come to meet you as you keep asking if we can meet sometime & in Spain we are so far away BUT my OH tells me he will drive down to visit your area sometime as we are now spending longer periods in Spain.

This message was last edited by morerosado on 4/3/2009.

Like 0      
03 Apr 2009 4:13 PM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar

Maria, I wish I was there to show you around.

Susan

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
03 Apr 2009 8:53 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

Maria:

- Clients care attention Well, I had a call from our new bank manager (BBVA) this week, inviting us to pop into the branch to meet him and "have a chat". The bank has a policy of moving staff on every couple of years (so they don't get too friendly with their customers  ) but I was very pleasantly surprised that the new guy wanted to introduce himself - made us feel like valued customers. My UK banks make me feel like dirt, and if I wanted to talk face to face it would mean a lengthy trip to Bangladesh no doubt.

- Respect to queues Ahhh. Never gonna happen! We had to explain to a lady at the meat counter in the supermarket the other day that her ticket number 01 came after our number 98, plus a couple of other customers. She couldn't get this, and if anyone reading this doesn't either - get to the back of the queue! It will forever be an enduring mystery why Spaniards are always in such a hurry to go nowhere and do nothing, and must be first, but I guess that's part of the charm!

-Thanks, please, I am sorry, excuse me Just a cultural and liguistic difference really. Spain is not unique here. Swedish has no word for please (which is why, if forced, they may say "pass the salt thanks", but generally won't bother with the thanks) but this doesn't necessarily mean they are rude. However - why oh why can Spanish drivers not thank you with a little wave or other gesture when you give way for them to pull out? Again, too much of a hurry to go nowhere with little or no respect for other road users.

- Lower tone of voice I had something to say about this but I forgot - can't seem to concentrate becuse the men in the cafe next door are making so much noise! I never can tell if it's an argument or just a friendly chat.

So glad you're enjoying our Capital city and that you don't find it hostile and unfriendly as so often it can seem like that to visitors.  Say "Hi" to the Queen from us if you see her!

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
04 Apr 2009 8:40 AM by Tish Star rating in Surrey. 833 posts Send private message

Hi Maria,

Good to hear that you are enjoying London.

I presume you were attending the big legal Seminar in London , all held in Spanish!!

I really hope the problems that soooo many people are/have experienced with the legal system in Spain were discussed. A mutual lawyer friends partner told us, that on a visit to London's Inns of Court (Lincolns Inn I think) last year that the Spanish also have a great deal to learn from the English legal system.  I understand he was unable to attend the meeting as he had two big cases to be heard in the Spanish Courts. Maybe you will tell us if anything was discussed about the current problems people have encountered regarding refunds of monies on illegal/non-build properties in Spain.

This message was last edited by Tish on 4/4/2009.

Like 0      
04 Apr 2009 10:17 AM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9403 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

Dear Tish:

The conference was for Spanish lawyers to understand a bit more the Commun Law system, but I certainly had the oportunity to talk about those problems you are refering  with someone at the Law Society and wil be certainly putting Suzanne of the Spanishpropertyscandalptition in conection with that person. They are interested on knowing more.

Have a great weekend,

Maria

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
04 Apr 2009 8:12 PM by Tish Star rating in Surrey. 833 posts Send private message

Hi Maria,

That's wonderful news!  A BIG THANK YOU!  You had a great agenda..I hope you enjoyed London.

Have a great week-end too.

Kindest regards,

Tish.

Like 0      
04 Apr 2009 8:17 PM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9403 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

I am just trying to connect Suzanne with the relevant people there. SHE HAS ALL THE MERITS, ALL!

Thanks Suzanne.

Maria

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 0      

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Now earn post retirement - 1 posts
market - 0 posts
SCHOOLS NEAR LOS ALTOS - 11 posts
atlas - 1 posts
Is there a gallery of general photos on this site - 1 posts
i know of a FREE SITE for 1st 50 not advetisement justin just info - 0 posts
has anyone been approached by an airline company? - 8 posts
Google Street View. - 1 posts
Duquesa Buses - 2 posts
Catastro -v- Escritura - 1 posts
Five changing frequencies...possible problems - 3 posts
kids bicycles - 4 posts
Settling in. - 7 posts
Digger & driver for hire (Mazarron Area) - 0 posts
Nearly new Funiture pack - 2 posts
Bouncy Castle for sale. - 5 posts
air conditioning - 5 posts
The Wok Buffet - 6 posts
1 bed apartment wanted Manilva/Duquesa area - 2 posts
Looking for a housekeeping job - 0 posts
Andalucia Lifestyle - 4 posts
Which one are you..........???! - 1 posts
Looking for a Cleaner - 0 posts
Search and new site problems - 10 posts
Earth Hour Saturday 28th March 2009 - 8 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 27

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x