Builder has taken out mortgages on properties

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
18 Jan 2009 12:00 AM by Grover Star rating. 37 posts Send private message

Some people on my urbanisation are very worried because they have been told that the builder took out a mortgage with the bank while he was building their house. They are worried that he might be declared bankrupt and are concerned about what will happen to their house.

They have paid for virtually all the house in staged payments. In many case they moved into the house over 18 months ago. They are still on builder's supply for water and electricity but he has not paid the utility companies. The purchasers are caught in a vicious circle because they cannot progress to the escitura because of the outstanding mortgage on the property.

I have a few questions.
1) What sort of a mortgage would a bank give to a builder who is being paid in staged payments as the construction progresses? I cannot imagine that the mortgage would be for the full value of the house.
2) Does the payments of these staged payments mean that the purchaser owns part of the house?
3) If the builder has gone bankrupt what action is the bank likely to take?
4) Where does the purchaser stand in all this?

I think that many people on this forum will have experienced similar problems and their advice and help would be gratefully received. The people on the urbanisation are extremely worried and very stressed.
PaddyW

Like 0      
18 Jan 2009 5:08 PM by melcremer Star rating. 25 posts Send private message

Hi there,

Just read your post on mortgagees. Where are you  please? any chance of talking?

Mel

Like 0      
27 Jan 2009 5:57 PM by Suzie Star rating in England. 121 posts Send private message

Please don't forget the 2 petitions which are running:

The one started by Ruth is for those who have legally binding Bank Guarantees, but who find that the banks are refusing to honour them. It will be sent to the Governor of the Bank of Spain.  This petition can be signed at:

http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/spanishbankguarantees.html      I believe it will close at the end of January.

There is another Petition which aims to cover all problems with property abuses in Spain, and also welcomes supportive signatures, even if they have no property problems.  It will be going to Gordon Brown PM at No. 10, and also to the EU in Brussels.  Another couple of weeks (appx)  left to sign this one:

www.spanishpropertyscandalpetition.co.uk

Thanks to all who have signed so far, and if you haven't - PLEASE DO SO.

These two petitions may be our best chance of making our voices heard - please do not miss the opportunity you have to do so NOW. 

Thanks from Suzanne.

Like 0      
28 Jan 2009 8:08 AM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

Grover:

I canot understand your situation clearly... initially every developer is financed by a Bank to build, They need to provide Bank Guaantees for the staged payments of consumers and the buyer can subrogate the mortgage at completion.

What is the problem? A lack of First Ocupation License?

Best,

Maria

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
28 Jan 2009 11:42 AM by Suzie Star rating in England. 121 posts Send private message

Maybe Grover is referring to the situation where people have completed on their property, but are not named as the legal owners??

The last story on the  'Your Stories' page on Our Petition website, is typical:

http://www.spanishpropertyscandalpetition.co.uk/6.html

Like 0      
28 Jan 2009 3:31 PM by sandra Star rating in . 812 posts Send private message

sandra´s avatar

This reminds me of a situation in Tenerife about twenty years ago.

People had purchased and had lived in a block of over (I think) about 100 apartments for maybe five years. Then they were told they must vacate the properties becase the original builder had defaulted on the loan on which he had used the apartment block as collateral.

The owners could do nothing and TV news filmed them being evicted. I never thought of it anymore until I just read this. I wonder what happened?

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Child with Autism/Asbergers Syndrome - Any educational facilities east of Malaga? - 2 posts
Santander buys GE Capital Bank Ltd - 1 posts
Looking for Iberbanda wireless router - 4 posts
Generator for sale. New. Diesel engine - 0 posts
vet in france - 0 posts
For sale: Brand new Ikea furniture - 0 posts
Mortgage switch - 2 posts
Loan guarantor - 2 posts
Changing your Spanish Mortgage - 8 posts
desperate for info and help on dispute with atlas/aroca/builder and lack of deeds....all replies welcome - 4 posts
Change of Gated Community into Commercial Community - 6 posts
Rumours of Euroland - 12 posts
New to eyeonspain - buying on Trampolin Royal Dream - 12 posts
Dubai - 0 posts
Dubai - 3 posts
At what point can a bank guarantee be executed? - 16 posts
furniture wanted - 2 posts
residencia certificate - 26 posts
Broadband Service in the Manilva Area & Compatible Computer Connections - 4 posts
Digital Radio in Spain - 7 posts
CONVERTING RIGHT HAND DRIVE CAR TO LEFT HAND DRIVE - 37 posts
life guard - 0 posts
Van space from Girona to Murcia. - 0 posts
Planning permission needed? - 8 posts
Satellite TV Tenerife - 1 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 6

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x