Some not so good news about Econorent

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
10 Nov 2008 12:00 AM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2626 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

I have had to put a credit card transaction for car hire in dispute today.

Basically, my Wife went to Spain on the 3rd Oct and hired a car with Econorent. It was paid for on the Nationwide credit card and the transaction duly processed. It appeared on my statement on the 7th Oct. All fine up until now.

I received my next card statement today with two weird transactions, both on the 4th Nov. One is a refund of monies paid to Econorent for the rental??? Another is a payment to a company called Rentagain Com. The amount is about £5 more expensive due to the change in currency in the last month.

Who on earth are Rentagain Com? Why are they allowed to debt my card when not authorised? This would have been a cardholder not present transaction compared to the PIN number verification given originally.

I have spoken to the agent involved in the booking and they will look into it. But just be aware to check your statements everybody!

Mark

Like 0      
10 Nov 2008 4:14 PM by Annie21 Star rating. 368 posts Send private message

Annie21´s avatar

Hi Mark

When we rented an Econorent car in Oct we had to pick it up from the 'Rent again' van in Murcia airport car park. Haven't looked at my credit card statement since but will be keeping an eye out for any dubious transactions.

When we returned the car we were actually instructed to return it to a Concord van & not the Rent Again van as Econorent were changing vans. Wonder if this was anything to do with it?

Like 0      
10 Nov 2008 4:28 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2626 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

Yes, apparently Econorent used to share a van with Rentagain at Murcia and have since changed, which is why they are in a different location n the car park now.

My big gripe is that my contract was with Econorent. Econorent processed the transaction at the rate of 1.2820. The original monies have been refunded by Econorent and I have been charged by a company I personally have no ties with at a rate of 1.2347, thus out of pocket for the rental. What should have happened is that one company should have invoiced the other, not try to shaft the customer as appears to have happened in this case.

I am going to hold out with the unauthorised debit dispute. Rentagain have no signature for the transaction, neither do they have a PIN input for it. Econorent also have no further authorisation to try and take the payment again as it was not a recurring payment authority that was given. This is going to prove to be an interesting as I do not deny my Wife hired a car, but why should I be out of pocket (albeit a few quid) because two cmpanies couldn't get their act together?

Up until now, I have found Econorent to be good, but this experience has soured me a little.

Mark

Like 0      
10 Nov 2008 4:44 PM by Annie21 Star rating. 368 posts Send private message

Annie21´s avatar

I agree Mark - sometimes it's not the amount involved but the principle.

Was your wife happy with the car she was supplied? We found ours to be of a lesser standard than the other hire companies (ie, dents & missing hub cap). It was the first time I have rented from them & although I would rent from them again, it is only because they do a full/full policy. (It was also great to walk past the huge car hire queues in the airport & drive off 10 mins later knowing it would have taken us a good hour plus with Goldcar etc - 3 planes landed in quick succession!)

Like 0      
10 Nov 2008 4:53 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2626 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

We had almost new cars both times we have used them, once from Alicante and once from Murcia, plus we have two more bookings with them. I found them very easy to get on with and very friendly. The controls of the car were explained, the insurance certicate (copy) given to us and triangle/ vests for all, plus a quick visual walk round. I have difficulty associating the car classes thoug. Most companies state Corsa, Astra, Focus, etc. Econorent state Citreon C1, C2, C3, Toyota Aygo, so I have to think about it .

Compared with Goldcar. We used them last Christmas and were upgraded from Corsa to Focus that had several dents in it. No checks by anyone when given out. Then in Feb I used Auriga Crown and was give a Fiat of some sort that was diesel, and a higher price because of it, ee though I didn't ask for it .

As you say, the full/ full policy is one that takes some beating and Auriga Crown won't always give it to you, depends how they feel on the day!

Mark

Like 0      
10 Nov 2008 5:12 PM by Annie21 Star rating. 368 posts Send private message

Annie21´s avatar

Know what you mean about sorting out the car classes  

We'll try them again & hope for a better car next time. Auriga haven't let us do full/full for a while - you must have more charm than me obviously

Like 0      
10 Nov 2008 5:28 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2626 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

Well the agent we booked through has been very supportive and has spoken to the hire company. It should have been an internal issue, but somehow the customers got involved (don't know how many)? The upshot is that I can either have a refund of the amount now or as a discount against my next rental which is at Xmas, plus an upgrade. I am happy the issue has been sorted and so quickly by the agent, but I do stand by my decision to post about it, if only to make sure people check their credit card statements.

Thank you agent (you know who you are )

Mark

Like 0      
12 Nov 2008 3:57 PM by robert1980 Star rating. 5 posts Send private message

Hi Mark

Thanks for the info, will check my statements but as yet nothing seems to have appeared. Just come back from Spain and flew into Murcia and used their new service through Concord and everything seemed great and if anything a slightly better service from when I used Rentagain.

Regards Robert

Like 0      
13 Nov 2008 2:52 PM by Diane and Joe Star rating in Sheffield. 152 posts Send private message

Diane and Joe´s avatar

Hi Mark

We have gone through exactly the same experience after hiring with Econorent at the end of October.  We were out of pocket by a few pounds because of the exchange rate and then Rentagain.com (should be neveragain.com) charged over the odds in sterling. 

The agent has promised the same for us - a refund or credit and a free upgrade next time we book through them.  The agent assures us that the service with Concord/Econorent is now running better than ever it did previously.

Diane

Like 0      
27 Aug 2009 12:43 PM by summer1010 Star rating. 62 posts Send private message

summer1010´s avatar

Anyone heard of Ready Rental Properties, headed up by Lydia?  Stay away from them.  They say have hundreds of properties to let, but the truth is they don't actually have any and keep touting for new apartments by ringing up owners.

They promise you tenants and after the rental, you never hear from them again. No rent, no nothing  They constantly change their email and phone number so that you can't contact them!  Great way to run a business!!!  I'm sure they'll expand into a multi million £ organisation that way!

They're a scam outfit that have been struck off the companies register

www.golfapartment.co.uk

Like 0      
27 Aug 2009 6:20 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2626 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

And this was posted on a car hire thread because?

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

New livery yard - 0 posts
house wanted to rent - 0 posts
Gas Natural - 0 posts
New Year's Eve in Manilva - 19 posts
Photos - 0 posts
Credit crunch can only be a good thing for buyers! - 3 posts
Booking Golf - 3 posts
Moving out there!! - 11 posts
A new edition to the family. - 8 posts
Los Balconces,Santiago de la Ribera - 2 posts
New to this - Conado de Alhama apartment! - 8 posts
cabosol cabo roig - 17 posts
Property Management For Playa Golf, Orihuela Costa - 2 posts
motor bike for sale - 11 posts
school in the orihuela costa area? - 6 posts
up to date detials about applying for an NIE number please? - 6 posts
Spare A Thought - 3 posts
Lock up your bikes!!!!! - 0 posts
hi - 3 posts
Insurance - 1 posts
Lloyds TSB - 5 posts
Man (or woman!) with Van Wanted... - 6 posts
Robbed while driving from Bilbao - 4 posts
Will it make a difference???? - 13 posts
closed doors on local police stations. - 2 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 11

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x