Moving out there!!

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
10 Nov 2008 12:00 AM by dosprompt Star rating in Scotland for now, Bu.... 8 posts Send private message

dosprompt´s avatar

:) Hi
My wife and I are wanting to move to Spain for many reasons, I am 61 soon, she  is 60 soon, I am an IT Service Manager living in Scotland and would like to live in spain but  still work in Scotland for at least 2 more years, we are going to sell our house next year ( if the market picks up, if not then as soon as it does) we would like to rent first to enable us to find a place to buy, we would like to live in an area that has many Brit's and hope that area is around Torrevieja, Guardamar, La Mata sort of. does anyone have any thoughts on this area and what is our first step.. Oh we also have two very small Dachshunds..

Thanks

Like 0      
10 Nov 2008 4:19 PM by joechristie Star rating in Bacup, Lancashire & .... 64 posts Send private message

joechristie´s avatar

Hi Barry & Iris

We are similar ages to you and are looking forward to our retirement in February 2010.  We have already bought an apartment at Dehasa de Campoamor,

The area south of Torrevieja is lovely.  Many great beaches, golf & social scene,  I'm sure you won't regret moving.  There are a lot of property bargains at the moment, but do read all the advice you can find on the forum about buying in Spain.

Rgards

Like 0      
11 Nov 2008 6:38 AM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

Campo de Gibraltar , Costa de la Luz,  Cadiz area!!

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
11 Nov 2008 12:28 PM by ayrez Star rating in La Marina Oasis. 379 posts Send private message

We bought a holiday home in the Guardamar area- on Quesada actually. Sold that and eventually retired to the campo in Murcia four years ago.  It is a good idea to rent first as if you make a mistake with the area it is not easy to sell now.

I can only say we have never regretted our move to Spain.  As an ex civil sevant  I thought  I knew about beurocracy but Sain is a real eye opener. The advantages of living here far outweigh the problems.

Incidentally my OH has had serious health problems this year and the health service has been first class. He could not have had better care.

Jean

Like 0      
11 Nov 2008 4:02 PM by semijubilada Star rating in London/Torrevieja. 1052 posts Send private message

I have friends who live in La Mata and they like the area.  There the buses run every 15 minutes into Torrevieja and once you sign onto the Padron the buses are free.  The buses also run until midnight.  It does take a couple of months before you'll get your free bus pass though.  Most other areas have buses every hour and stop around 10pm.

It's a mixture of nationalities, I'd rent there and see how you get on, Guardamar may be too Spanish for you as a newcomer, once you're settled then you might want to move further a field.

Spains a big place and what suits one person may not suit another, the only way to find out is to rent and then buy when you find your piece of paradise. 

Like 0      
12 Nov 2008 8:47 AM by claire T Star rating in Torremendo, Orihuela. 688 posts Send private message

EOS Supporter

Hi - there is so much choice in and around Torrevieja that I think the best way is to come out for holidays and get the feel of the place.  There is a lot of variety and you can be in a very British area one minute and then a quite Spanish one just a few miles away.  I would suggest you visit both in and out of holiday season as the place has a very different feel to it when the majority of holiday makers have gone.

I've only been here 6 months but absolutely love it and you just cannot beat going about in cut-offs and a tee shirt in the middle of November!  I'm going back to Glasgow for a holiday soon and am bracing myself for the weather!

There are lots of us here on the site from the Torrevieja area so you will get lots of support.  Enjoy your search.

Like 0      
12 Nov 2008 11:22 AM by joanniemac Star rating. 241 posts Send private message

Hi Claire, Bring your woolies and your wellies, its been very cold, wet and windy here, although the sun is shining today! Cheers Joanniemac

Like 0      
12 Nov 2008 9:23 PM by Candyfloss Star rating in Cardiff / Mar Menor. 1605 posts Send private message

Candyfloss´s avatar

Hi Dosprompt, (fellow welshperson)

Welcome to the forum.

Also have a look around the Mojon/Pilar de Horadada/San Pedro and Mar Menor areas. We love it there and I have a friend that may be thinking of selling around that area. Also might consider renting so if you would like any more information you are welcome to pm me as we are not allowed to advertise on the general forums. Any other things you would like to know about the places around there just ask, there are a lot of members on the forum from all parts.

Good Luck

Like 0      
12 Nov 2008 11:08 PM by dosprompt Star rating in Scotland for now, Bu.... 8 posts Send private message

dosprompt´s avatar

Hi CandyFloss

That sound good, I will PM later thanks, we lived in the Bridgend area for around 20 years then moved around a little (13 times) the IT world is a busy place so you have to keep with it to earn. we are so  shocked (in a happy way) at the reply's we have had its nice to know we will not be on our own when we move out..

Iris and Barry

Like 0      
12 Nov 2008 11:20 PM by dosprompt Star rating in Scotland for now, Bu.... 8 posts Send private message

dosprompt´s avatar

Hi Clare
We intend to start by coming out in Jan for a Long week-end, hire a car and drive around maybe meet some of the guys that have reply'd in the Forum, the weather for us is just a bonus reason for moving, its just a need to move on, I will be still working in Scotland for a year or so but Iris will be living there, I will fly each week-end ( I am used to it, been doing it for the past few years around the UK)

Iris and Barry

Hi - there is so much choice in and around Torrevieja that I think the best way is to come out for holidays and get the feel of the place.  There is a lot of variety and you can be in a very British area one minute and then a quite Spanish one just a few miles away.  I would suggest you visit both in and out of holiday season as the place has a very different feel to it when the majority of holiday makers have gone.

I've only been here 6 months but absolutely love it and you just cannot beat going about in cut-offs and a tee shirt in the middle of November!  I'm going back to Glasgow for a holiday soon and am bracing myself for the weather!

There are lots of us here on the site from the Torrevieja area so you will get lots of support.  Enjoy your search.

Like 0      
12 Nov 2008 11:29 PM by dosprompt Star rating in Scotland for now, Bu.... 8 posts Send private message

dosprompt´s avatar

Hi semijubilada

I think your right it is down to each person (couple) to find a place that is for them, we WILL rent first and look around for our corner or the world to cal home...

Thanks

Iris and Barry +plus dogs..

I have friends who live in La Mata and they like the area.  There the buses run every 15 minutes into Torrevieja and once you sign onto the Padron the buses are free.  The buses also run until midnight.  It does take a couple of months before you'll get your free bus pass though.  Most other areas have buses every hour and stop around 10pm.

It's a mixture of nationalities, I'd rent there and see how you get on, Guardamar may be too Spanish for you as a newcomer, once you're settled then you might want to move further a field.

Spains a big place and what suits one person may not suit another, the only way to find out is to rent and then buy when you find your piece of paradise. 

Like 0      
12 Nov 2008 11:32 PM by dosprompt Star rating in Scotland for now, Bu.... 8 posts Send private message

dosprompt´s avatar

Hi joanniemac

We are just outside Stirling and your right its not a place to walk around in Flip-Flops and a Towel.

Iris and Barry

Hi Claire, Bring your woolies and your wellies, its been very cold, wet and windy here, although the sun is shining today! Cheers Joanniemac

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

A new edition to the family. - 8 posts
Los Balconces,Santiago de la Ribera - 2 posts
New to this - Conado de Alhama apartment! - 8 posts
cabosol cabo roig - 17 posts
Property Management For Playa Golf, Orihuela Costa - 2 posts
motor bike for sale - 11 posts
school in the orihuela costa area? - 6 posts
up to date detials about applying for an NIE number please? - 6 posts
Spare A Thought - 3 posts
Lock up your bikes!!!!! - 0 posts
hi - 3 posts
Insurance - 1 posts
Lloyds TSB - 5 posts
Man (or woman!) with Van Wanted... - 6 posts
Robbed while driving from Bilbao - 4 posts
Will it make a difference???? - 13 posts
closed doors on local police stations. - 2 posts
Wher have all the Smileys gone??? - 13 posts
Selling car on Costa Del Sol - 3 posts
Big THANK YOU to Justin and EOS - 4 posts
Developers responsibility for defects - 4 posts
Taking my LHD UK Plates car to Spain - 30 posts
Sending boxes from UK to Spain - 11 posts
British Schools in Spain - 7 posts
Equity release problems with Landsbanki - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 12

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x