Do I or don't I buy now for life style or holiday????

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
13 Oct 2008 12:00 AM by rowlandsbb Star rating in Gloucestershire &Hue.... 779 posts Send private message

rowlandsbb´s avatar

Do I or don’t I ?

What a mess we seem to be in!

I have lived and worked through a few of these, the first being the 70’ s and up to now I thought it was the worst but now , not so sure

Then we had interest rates of 15%, 3 day working week  and inflation of 27%….I know many will think this horrendous, but we lived through it and the economy of UK and the rest of Europe moved forwards

So, it will happen again and in the years to come we will look back and think of lost opportunities we could have taken when everyone was down!…lest hope so anyway

Many who look at EOS are looking to move to Spain

Now it has to be said that if you have no job lined up and are young/ middle aged, it is not a good time

The dilemma is for those a touch older [although we do not feel that older!] who are able to afford to make the life style move for full/ part time, then it is very difficult

Worries about prices falling, exchange rate and the current uncertainty are very much to the forefront of our thoughts

But also so is the fact that life is moving on! I am in my 60’s with lots of experience in property and life, like many others but ‘ the clock is ticking’ and every year seems to go faster!!

The one thing I think I am right in saying is that’ provided you are sensible’ it has never been safer to buy in Spain than now

If you are a serious potential buyer and you click on EOS you should be savvy

And whilst, it may not be the bottom of the ‘statistical market’ there is no doubt that even on good developments you can get good deals

You may find that the owner of the property you want to buy will only sell at the price they want [no hurry for them] so a touch of flexibility may be needed to achieve your objective

Do not overstretch yourself but if it is a life style decisions then now may not be a bad time to have a look at what you can get for your money

Now if you can afford a holiday home and want the sun….the deals are there: Polaris World 2 beds at 119.800 € and others may well turn out good deals and lots of fun, even at the current exchange rate and long term you get into a Resort with great facilities
There are still some good mortgage deals with a good deposit 

Ours will be ready March 2009.
Then, it is at first part time in Spain with full time working as I am an internet worker

Going next week for 3 weeks to my chosen location Almeria between Aguilas and Mojacar…..can’t wait to get there!!!!!!     
One day full time   

Like 0      
13 Oct 2008 6:23 PM by irenemontague Star rating in liverpool/carvajal . 794 posts Send private message

Hi brian as you know my son has a villa being built by you phase 1 can you let us all know how they are doing with the build and get some new photos on the web site if you can please thanks irene

Like 0      
14 Oct 2008 8:45 AM by goodstich44 Star rating in northampton. 1648 posts Send private message

rowlandsbb

as you say, prices haven't bottomed out yet.  Some think that price crash in Spain has barely started. With that in mind, i think anyone who buys now must face the possibility that the value of their property might well be much less than they paid for it for years to come?. With the massive over supply, i doubt some will ever regain their original purchase price which was set before the sh*t hit the fan.

For those not bothered about capital loss, then i guess if they put in silly offers, bargain hard, ignore agent speak, then they might get a bargain through people trying to jump of a percieved (rightly or wrongly) sinking ship? 

I would wait a year or two yet. Spain had a lot to put right even before the credit crunch!

Like 0      
14 Oct 2008 9:20 AM by rowlandsbb Star rating in Gloucestershire &Hue.... 779 posts Send private message

rowlandsbb´s avatar
Irene
Will up date with photos after I return mid Nov..expect to see some good progress

As regards last post.......many held the same views in the 70's and 80's but the history of property economics seemed to repeat itself and values moved ahead again!

But if you are in your 60's with they say a life expectancy of 20 years or so then waiting for a couple of years to enjoy your life in Spain [ if that's what you want to do] is a long time
And whilst we are all concerned about our investments and houses for a lot of people it has to be balanced with life style options

But of course that has to be a personal decision and really professional agents are there to be used to help acheive one's objective

Like 0      
14 Oct 2008 1:11 PM by goodstich44 Star rating in northampton. 1648 posts Send private message

rolandsbb

with respect, the 70's and 80's cannot be compared with now. There has never been such a surplus of property, or such a slump as the current one. Add to that the massive corruption situation now blown out in the open, and with court cases against agents/developers/lawyers/councils etc,  stretching out years ahead and it's not a pretty picture.

As you say, it's a personal decision. As long as people know the risks and do their homework very thoroughly, then it's up to them.

Like 0      
14 Oct 2008 5:24 PM by irenemontague Star rating in liverpool/carvajal . 794 posts Send private message

Hi  brian looking forword to your post in november  i will have to let you know my son plot number hope he is not next door to as he has 2 boys who are football mad irene

Like 0      
14 Oct 2008 5:38 PM by rowlandsbb Star rating in Gloucestershire &Hue.... 779 posts Send private message

rowlandsbb´s avatar
Irene
I hope  Liverpool's their team!!

Almeria is in the Spanish Premier [ 30 mins] so they may be able to go and watch...I think it is cheaper than in UK!! 

Like 0      
14 Oct 2008 5:53 PM by randolph Star rating. 167 posts Send private message

I agree that there is a problem of over-supply in the property market at the moment. 
But this is mainly in the glut of 2 bed 2 bath apartments.  There is definitely  a fall in property prices - but this is not evenly spaced across the board.

If you buy something with an 'added extra'  be it a view, a garden, local beach etc. the price should hold.

edited to add........villas especially should be a good buy.

This message was last edited by randolph on 10/14/2008.

Like 0      
14 Oct 2008 6:16 PM by rowlandsbb Star rating in Gloucestershire &Hue.... 779 posts Send private message

rowlandsbb´s avatar
Randolf
I see you are in San Juan de los Terreros..where abouts?...great location, best beach in Spain and two golf courses shortly on your doorstep

Like 0      
14 Oct 2008 6:30 PM by randolph Star rating. 167 posts Send private message

Hello,

We have one of the 'green-topped ' villas. ....so the golf course is directly on our doorstep. (Must learn to play golf)

There has been a lot of development  just lately in Terreros and that would worry me more if it was pile upon pile of apartments. 

So...even if Terreros is more built - up than what I would like ( but then again..where would we put all the golfers????) I don't believe it has been ruined with cheap eyesores!

Like 0      
15 Oct 2008 10:19 AM by J&N Star rating in Nottinghamshire. 342 posts Send private message

J&N´s avatar
Hi

Jacqui

http://relocatetospain.blogspot.com our adventure from deciding to move to Spain to being here and moving back to the UK.

Like 0      
15 Oct 2008 1:15 PM by irenemontague Star rating in liverpool/carvajal . 794 posts Send private message

Hi brian now there is only one great team in liverpool its a good job they have got a corner villa with a lot of land for football.Brian can you advice my son who would you recommend inthe area they want a pool putting in ?bye irene 

Like 0      
15 Oct 2008 2:10 PM by J&N Star rating in Nottinghamshire. 342 posts Send private message

J&N´s avatar
OK. so where did the rest of my post go? Who knows, computers been acting odd lately.

There are some beautiful places between Aguilas and Mojacar including Terreros. We also like Villaricos with it's small harbour, Puerto Rey has a lot going on and I love Garrucha so depends how quiet you want it and how much you want to spend, there is a lot to choose from at the moment

I understand that Pulpi are controlling what's built in Terreros so it doesn't get spoiled as they see it as their 'jewel' - so much so they call it Pulpi beach! Let's hope they finish what they've started and then take a breath - I just hope they get the road finished soon.

Jacqui

http://relocatetospain.blogspot.com our adventure from deciding to move to Spain to being here and moving back to the UK.

Like 0      
15 Oct 2008 2:22 PM by John 777 Star rating in West Midlands. 109 posts Send private message

Goodrich, 

Not sure how old you are, but if you worked in the 70's when factories were closed because of no electricity, very high unemployment and a major house price crash, then you would never have dreamed that good tiems would ever have been seen again.

Yes, things are tough at the moment and likely to get worse before they get better. But basic economics will eventually come back into play, where supply & demand will rule. 

Spain has a problem due to the lack of control in allowing new builds. The speculative builder though will not re enter the market for a very long time if ever, so for those with completed properties, in a nice location then I think history will eventually repeat itself and we will see values creap back up. As ever though location, location, location will be all important. 

In the meantime as long owners can afford the costs of getting there, Spain will still a great place to be.  

Remember that if you already own the property, that you won't actually have lost anything (other than on paper), until you actually come to sell. 

The one thing I am certain of is that in 10yrs time, when 2008 has been annalised, the Press will feature strongly as being guilty of 1st hiping the property market up and then sensationalising doom and gloom. They have played a major part in both, but hell they have to sell papers don't they!!!! 

John

PS I bought my 1st house in 1974 just before the crash.

Like 0      
15 Oct 2008 5:39 PM by rowlandsbb Star rating in Gloucestershire &Hue.... 779 posts Send private message

rowlandsbb´s avatar
   Oferta Del Diá now at Polaris World 

Polaris World are now offering deals of the day on individual units from apartments to villas which reflects the time we are in and I suppose the time of the year

But anyone on the edge of making a decision may perhaps want to look !

The product is good......must be the best Resort Developments in EU with great futures as they all develop and become mature

Whilst the golf potential is just the best with eventually 9 courses to play on the entry price for buying is very competitive and now with these offers of the day the bargains may well be there for the taking

But the facilities are not just for golfers but for everyone

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Estate agents in Almoradi area - 0 posts
myzz - 2 posts
Thanks for the memor....straws... - 1 posts
9 Seater Vehicle on a UK Licence? - 1 posts
money transfers - 2 posts
will euribor rate fall now ECB has cut rates?? - 26 posts
Bilingual English teacher needed in Granada - 1 posts
I am considering purchasing a resale on Polaris CondadhoAlhama. - 8 posts
4 bedroom penthouse in Los Granados del Mar. - 1 posts
Property Wanted: Long Term Rental Quesada Area - 5 posts
Anyone fancy meeting up Fri 17th Oct - 4 posts
Car dealers - 6 posts
What happens when the developer declares itself as bankrupt? - 23 posts
commercial property villamartin or quasada - 0 posts
small commercial unit - 0 posts
Painting Walls and Properties in the Community - 1 posts
Damp problems and answers - 8 posts
Buying a rustic property - 15 posts
Ford fiesta - 0 posts
Maybe Good New's - 2 posts
Work Wanted... Query for Justin. - 7 posts
newbie in need - 2 posts
Are There 2 Torreviejas? - 9 posts
Airlines forward buying their fuel - 0 posts
LOOKING FOR FURNITURE - 3 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 15

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x