Steve James? - Sky Card Supplier

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
28 Aug 2008 12:00 AM by Susanspain Star rating in Mijas, Malaga. 145 posts Send private message

Susanspain´s avatar
Does anyone know this person or have any experience of them?
They advertise in Sur in English as sky engineer/provider of cards along the Costa del Sol.
He sold a sky card (registered presumably at his own/friends UK address) and charged €250 for same to a friend of mine. 
The 'deal' was that said friend had to give bank details and pay sky by Direct Debit - all ok with him/so far - and in return this chap would 'control' the account - including getting extras channels/one off viewings as/when my friend required. 

2 months into the deal - my friend is at his wits end.   He is being charged £6 pcm more than he was expecting and Steve just cuts off his phone when my friend calls him/tries to speak civilly with him.  Friend has now asked for others to call Steve to talk to him - but we are just getting fobbed off. 

I would be very pleased to hear from anyone who knows the set up with this guy and anyone who might have any knowledge of where he is based. (The address on the 'receipt' he gave my friend apparently is an old address). 
The only contact we have with him is via his mobile (the one in the ad) and as I say he cuts friend off - or fobs off anyone trying to get a resolution to the matter. 

Thanks in advance. 
(PS - I have advised my friend to contact Sky direct in the UK - but of course not letting on he is in Spain - and as he is paying the bill - then to demand some info/get the matter sorted that way). 

I am mainly posting here as said friend is very elderly and I also think €250 is a lot of money for what he has got! 
(I have a free to view card which I purchased myself directly from sky and had it sent on via my parents).

Like 0      
28 Aug 2008 7:10 AM by semijubilada Star rating in London/Torrevieja. 1052 posts Send private message

Is the account being debited a UK bank account?

From the bank statment who does it say is issuing the direct debit, sky or from someone else.

Does he have more channels than the freeview ones, ie is he using the same card as he would if he was in UK.  This would include films and sport.

Some people have reported on here that they keep a sky box in their Spanish home and just bring out the card with them.  Can't remember exactly what they receive.  

Why not try another thread asking for information of exactly what should be received by using a sky card abroad.  I think it's more channels than their Freeview card as that is similar to a freeview box in UK. 

If your friend rings Sky there's a good chance that he will be disconnected, I'd try that as a last resort, better to do some further investigation.

Just had another thought, I'm sure I read that if your card is disconnected by Sky then it becomes a Freeview card in Spain.  Apologies if I'm mixing up the Freeview with Freesat but what I'm trying to say is that he would have the basic channels as you have so even if this bunch of rogues disconnect his card it should still work.

As you're a new user I'll pm a few people to ask them to help you.  They might not read this thread, they might read another if it mentioned something on the lines of  Does a SKY card work in Spain.  Lots of techies on here, just need to find them.

I'd also email the Sur in English and try to get a letter printed to warn off others if it proves to be a scam.

Like 0      
28 Aug 2008 7:57 AM by satandpcguy Star rating in Gandia, Valencia. 399 posts Send private message

satandpcguy´s avatar

hi,
looking at the sky package prices, the only way that i can see your friend paying an extra £6 per month is that if they wanted just the sports or movies, not sports and movies.
                                    Only              Sports or MOVIES             SPORT AND MOVIES
1 MIX                          £16                              £34                                          £41
2 Mixes                    £17                              £35                                          £42
3 MIXES                    £18                              £36                                          £42
4 MIXES                    £19                              £36                                          £43
5 MIXES                    £20                              £37                                          £44
6 MIXES                    £21                              £38                                          £45

these are the "pre september" prices, as they are increasing by about £1 in september (less than inflation and less than the 9.99 to 13.99 setanta increased their proces!!)

www.satandpcguy.com Satellite TV & Sky TV in Spain installers. Costa Blanca, Azahar and Valencia areas.

"Like" us on Facebook

Like 0      
28 Aug 2008 8:03 AM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2627 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar
First of all, anyone offering to sell you a Sky package in Spain is not doing so legitimately. Skys terms and conditions expressly forbid viewing of its services outside of the UK. What has happened though is extremely regular. To receive a subscription, you will have to have a UK billing address. what some businesses do is use a mailing address in the UK for you. If they own house #12 for instance, they will register cards at 12a, 12b, 12c, 12d, etc. The card is then sent to the customer with the BBC and ITV stations regionalised to where the card was registered. What regions does this person have?

You will normally have to pay by Sterling credit card for the service. Not sure if you pay to Sky direct or the third party, although I would expect it to be direct to prevent any suspicion on the behalf of Sky. A friend of mine received a new credit card but forgot to notify whoever of the new card number and billing failed. The cost for reconnection? The cost of a new card at the way high price.

A Sky free to air card costs £20 from Sky (less from eBay if you can find them as listings get cancelled very quickly). This will give you 200+ channels for nothing including C4 & C5. If you are not bothered about 4 & 5, don't bother with the card at all.

When ringing Sky, do not ring from a overseas number. Sky use the caller id system which shows incoming international calls. All they will do is to take your details and cancel the card for a breach of t&c's.

Mark

Like 0      
28 Aug 2008 10:31 AM by Susanspain Star rating in Mijas, Malaga. 145 posts Send private message

Susanspain´s avatar
Thanks all for the info/advice. I will pass onto said friend. 
I don't know how/what the rates were worked out for his particular package. But he is definatly paying by DD from his UK bank account.  So I am guessing it is like Spain where one does not have to be the title holder to pay a bill.

Re anyone phoning Sky from here - use the prefix '067' and this blocks the caller number the other end (like the UK 141?)... 
I have done this myself and activated my Free to view card (which as you say costs just £20!).  No problems! (I just said I 'was going out' when they asked to call me back).  

We have contacted this guy again - by text - and have told him if he is not able to provide the service promised, then just to give Mr X his money back and that will be the end of the matter.  (Friend can then apply for his own card, at his own UK address - erm - which he should have done in the first place - but a) he rarely goes there these days and oh - b) he is getting on for 90 and wants to simplify life!).  :) 

Thanks all for making me welcome. 
SJ

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

WANT TO CATCH UP WITH THE PROGRAMS YOU'RE MISSING? TRY THIS - 9 posts
La Torre Keyholder - 0 posts
Reliable agent - 6 posts
Contract Term for Off Plan Purchase - 17 posts
Los Naranjos - 0 posts
Looking to rent - agent recommendations? - 1 posts
James Rowley - 0 posts
Our Holiday Experience - 1 posts
Players needed for the new season.... - 0 posts
Footie in Montesinos - 4 posts
Halogen Cooker - 17 posts
Community handover - 1 posts
Tax Form 215, Any Advice ? - 4 posts
CAR WANTED - 6 posts
ACCOMMODATION WANTED - short/long let - Coin, Malaga - 0 posts
List of ITEMS FOR SALE - Mijas, Malaga - 1 posts
Community blogspot/website - 0 posts
Broadband, Landlines and Mobile Phones - 2 posts
Moving to Spain - why are friends so negative! - 11 posts
Certificate of non Residence - 27 posts
Jim & Marie Cregeen from Calasparra, N.W.Murcia - 0 posts
insurance worrk - 0 posts
Cleaner and local doctor - 0 posts
Duquesa Village - 9 posts
3% TAX ON SELLING PRICE - 1 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 5

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x