New to EOS and looking to buy in Spain

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
27 Feb 2008 12:00 AM by Firefly Star rating in Manchester/Javea. 56 posts Send private message

Hi there, I have just registered with EOS having read the forums over the past few weeks. I have found the site very useful and at the same time, the more I read the more I get confused, let me explain.
We are lucky that, due to cashing in on a long time investment in the UK, we think we have enough capital to realise our dream to buy a 3 bed villa in Spain, no mortgage required!
However, reading the forums for every good story, there are lots of "scare" stories about unscrupulious builders and agents etc. how do you find a good agent, builder? Which sites should we avoid? We are not keen on an urbanisation where most of the houses are empty most of the time.

We are looking for a 3 bed villa somewhere in the Mercia area. We think we should stear clear of Torrevieja as we hear its a bit overdeveloped?? Thinking of somewhere in Mazarron, does anyone have any comments on that?

We are taking a 4 day break soon, (no agents just on our own) and plan to spend the time in that area just to ensure that we definately like it. Does anyone have any suggestions for us, any all are welcome?

All this may sound a bit "vague" but the more we try and plan the more confused we get!

Like 0      
27 Feb 2008 11:43 AM by J&N Star rating in Nottinghamshire. 342 posts Send private message

J&N´s avatar

Hi, we felt exactly the same when we started to look. We were also looking to buy in Murcia but an agent we teamed up with recommended we look further south in Almeria and so we took a trip and found several places we liked including Arboleas, but we fell in love with San Juan de los Terreros and have bought a property off plan there. We have been back a few times and each time fall more in love with it. We also considered Mazzaron and it depends whether you want to be amongst predominantly British people or whether you want to try the traditional Spanish life style.

Although we have toured areas ourselves we did find we got so much more from our trip with Tarleton Properties, as they knew all the areas. Have a look at my blog about our relocation experience, it may give you some ideas. We are making our move out in May and I am just sorting our somewhere to rent until our house is ready, it's all very exciting and I cannot wait to be out there.

Let us know how you get on, shared experiences are always useful.

Jacqui

http://relocatetospain.blogspot.com our adventure from deciding to move to Spain to being here and moving back to the UK.

Like 0      
27 Feb 2008 11:48 AM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

We have two great guys on EOS who just happen to be super estate agents based in Los Alcazares & Guardamar. Their sitenames on forum are GILLESPIE & GEORGIA & they will advise you & look after you if you care to contact them. I've met both.

Both are hardworking guys who won't mess you about.

GEORGIA .. http://www.rightmoveespana.com/  Contact shaun@rightmoveespana.com

GILLESPIE .. contact ken@propertyshopsgroup.com

Like 0      
27 Feb 2008 12:21 PM by Firefly Star rating in Manchester/Javea. 56 posts Send private message

Many thanks for the feedback "Morerosado" and "J&N". I wasn't expecting to hear anything quite so quickly, but don't get me wrong, that's brill!

I will definitely try the Georgia, and Gillespie, I think I have noticed them posting quite a few suggestions/comments. Especially as we are going out to Spain in March for a 4-5days, I think we need help there to maximize what we see.

Funnily enough, I have been in contact with Russell at Tarleton Properties and he is coming to see me prior to us going  to Spain over Easter for a visit. So good to hear that you have had a good experience there J&N. I think we agree with you that local knowledge is a big advantage/time saver, but we were a bit worried about this being offset by the potential vested interests in certain areas/properties of unscrupulous agents.

I think we are keen on more of a "traditional Spanish life style", but don't wish to be totally isolated as our Spanish is still a bit on the basic side just now.

I will let you know how we got on, like I said, many many thanks for your comments/help!

Like 0      
27 Feb 2008 12:33 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Europa Goldcar rip off at Murcia - 0 posts
Easter Cultural Fiestas Costa del Sol - 2 posts
Spanish Plumbing - 9 posts
Search Facility - 5 posts
advice please - 3 posts
Long term Rental - Alpujarras - 0 posts
Fishing Tackle Shop - 2 posts
Reported to Social Security - 5 posts
first occupational licence / who is in - 1 posts
als pal - 0 posts
va va voom - 1 posts
CAR BOOT SALES - 2 posts
Account Opening Fees - 3 posts
Certificate of Habitation (or lack of) Block 7, square 3. - 1 posts
Consumer rights regarding faulty merchandise - 1 posts
Juande Ramos : A Spanish Legend and a Developer who Delivers.... - 12 posts
The Blue Palm, Marbella - 19 posts
SIX NATIONS - 18 posts
driving lesson - 6 posts
Pet Friendly Hotels - 3 posts
Furntire shops in Mojacar/Vera Playa area - 4 posts
DISNEY IN SPAIN - 12 posts
Residencia - 38 posts
New to the site and On the Move - 3 posts
Our little corner in the sun - 4 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 5

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x