Did you realise clutch & engine "misuse" isn't covered with some companies ?

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
26 Jan 2008 12:00 AM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

We book with www.doyouspain.com regularly & we are normally given http://www.aurigacrown.com/  (Murcia & sometimes, Alicante).  We hired through doyouspain in November & they put us with Auriga Crown at Alicante there was a note at Auriga's desk saying we weren't covered for the usual..underside, tyres, losing keys, windscreen (normal) but ALSO it said GEARBOX !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! First time we've seen THAT gem ! 

I've looked on Auriga's website & I saw this..

http://www.aurigacrown.com/condiciones-generales.jsp

The rental price does not include:clutch (due to misuse), lost or broken keys, error of fuel and costs involved, (you can acquire an additional insurance at € 20 per rental contract in order to cover the damages caused to glass, wheels and clutch).

I see Record at Alicante say http://www.recordrentacar.com/car_hire/airport_condiciones.htm

The insurance does not cover the following ( amongst other things we would normally see)

• Damage to the engine due to negligence.
  • Misuse of the clutch.

Amazing what we aren't aware of, don't you think ?

Like 0      
26 Jan 2008 6:00 PM by conrad Star rating in Milton Keynes and Dr.... 298 posts Send private message

conrad´s avatar
use an automatic

Like 0      
26 Jan 2008 6:36 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

As has been said before automatics are expensive & not ready available.

They do tend to have engines that could be misused as, of course, do manuals, Conrad, but maybe that's 

This message was last edited by morerosado on 1/26/2008.

Like 0      
26 Jan 2008 6:44 PM by tinto. Star rating in Scotland & Nr Estepo.... 243 posts Send private message

tinto.´s avatar
You don't really expect to be covered for negligence do you

Like 0      
26 Jan 2008 7:04 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Just wondering, Tinto, how the car hire company could insist it was you & not previous hirer. Guess hire cars are subject to quite a lot of abuse especially if you're just used to an automatic

Anyway I was just bringing it to members attention. Up to each of us to do with info what we want. Sometimes we're not asked if we want to take up the 20€ insurance for the hire period but we'd think twice now if this is what's happening.

Like 0      
26 Jan 2008 7:55 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2626 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

There was an insurance policy in the Jet2 flight magazine when we went out in December (I tore the page out but it is at home and I am at the in laws!!). For around £40pa it covers you for everything that you are not covered for by thre hire company, tyres, wheels, windows, etc. If you go over several times a year and take out the hire companys policy, it can add up. Will post the link when I get home.

Mark

Like 0      
26 Jan 2008 8:01 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Mark, Noreen posted link in Car rental

She uses www.insurance4carhire.com  from £49

Like 0      
28 Jan 2008 11:19 AM by Sonia El Star rating in Wales / Carvajal, F.... 212 posts Send private message

We bought the Insurance4Carhire just before we went over to Malaga at the beginning of this month.  We booked the hire car through Doyouspain (very pleased that they didn't charge until car collected unlike Holiday Autos) and got a car from Auriga Crown (same as holiday autos).  When they asked about additional insurance I just showed him the policy and nothing more was said. Had expected some kind of persuasion and perhaps a 'phoney' charge when we returned the car but no problems.

Like 0      
28 Jan 2008 1:12 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Because I was concerned that we wouldn't be covered by  www.insurance4carhire.com for gearbox & engine "abuse" I emailed them & have just received this.

Date: 28/01/2008 12:10:34
To: ***************
Subject: RE: Advice on gearbox cover

Dear ********

Our Excess insurance covers:  Excess on damage (excess always relates to the outside body of the vehicle), Excess on theft, and damage to windows, tyres, the undercarraige and the roof.   

I am afraid we do not have a Policy which covers the gearbox.

Kind regards 

Maureen Ursich
Insurance 4 Car Hire Agents Ltd., Trans-World House, 100 City Road, London, EC1Y 2BP (This is our Registered Office address)
Tel: 020 7012 6300    Fax: 020 7012 6315
E-Mail: info@Insurance4carhire.com    Website: www.insurance4carhire.com
Company No.: 4441876  Authorised and Regulated by the Financial Services Authority
This message and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this in error, you should not disseminate or copy this email. Please notify the sender immediately and delete this email from your system. We have taken all reasonable precautions to ensure that any attachment has been swept for viruses. However it is your responsibility to ensure that it has been swept and checked by your own anti-virus software and we cannot accept liability.

Sent: 26 January 2008 15:11
To: Insurance4carhire; Insurance4carhire
Subject: Advice on gearbox cover

Dear insurance4carhire

We use car hire at both Murcia & Alicante airports regularly & a friend who uses you recommended you.

Recently we used www.douyouspain.com (as we usually do) & they put us with Auriga Crown http://www.aurigacrown.com/ at Alicante airport.

Auriga Crown had their excess details at the counter & we were amazed to see it said  unless we took the insurance we were liable for damage to usual windscreen, underside & tyres but ALSO it said GEARBOX !! Their http://www.aurigacrown.com/condiciones-generales.jsp state
The rental price does not include:Traffic fines, tow trucks, damages to glass, wheels, underbody, clutch (due to misuse), lost or broken keys, error of fuel and costs involved, (you can acquire an additional insurance at € 20 per rental contract in order to cover the damages caused to glass, wheels and clutch).

If we were to take the cover you offer is the GEARBOX covered ? "Due to Misuse" is hard to prove, could've been done by any driver before us.

Interesting point, don't you think ? Advice required as we tend to use Auriga Crown generally.

Regards

Like 0      
02 Feb 2008 6:49 PM by foxbat Star rating in Granada. 1112 posts Send private message

foxbat´s avatar

Hi All...

Devils Advocate time!...

Any car hire company offering insurance cover for gearbox clutch damage due to misuse is simply putting the frighteners on clients.

Seriously... when did your own car suffer a clutch or gearbox failure due to misuse? A clutch should last at least 80,000 miles.

Car hire companies generally trade in their cars at 12,000 miles or 20,0000 Kms. Most hire cars will reach this figure within 6 months of rental use and the original warranty with the vehicle ensures that they will be sold on before the warranty expires. For a while I worked for Hertz in the UK and cars were replaced between 8000 and 10000 miles.

Speaking  as one who regularly commuted 150 miles a day six days a week for fifteen years, I can truthfully say that in all that time, plus routine domestic and social travel, I got through three cars, with 250,000 miles on the first, 90,000on the second and 145,000 on the third. Thats the equivalent of travelling to the moon and back... I replaced the clutch on the first and last cars (from choice not necessity) at 125,000 miles. Never once did I have to replace a gearbox.

The car hire companies mentioned in this thread have latched on in a big way to the same sales techniques used by the low cost airlines. They will try to screw you into making additional payments for anything they can dream up.

Dont let them frighten you...They would have a hard time proving negligence...Tell'em to stuff it, along with their Underside damage insurance, although If you find that windscreen replacement is rolled into the same additional policy then the choice is yours as to whether you take on the policy.

To the best of my knowledge the Spanish road authorities dont use the loose chippings so beloved of their British cheapskate counterparts, so the chances of losing a windscreen this way are somewhat lower than in the UK. 

Just treat continental sleeping policemen (Paso Elevados) with respect...

http://www.facebook.com/ruido.blanco.773

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Car Trailer for sale - 0 posts
McCormick Farmhall Cub Tractor - 1 posts
Solar batteries for sale - 1 posts
advice needed - 5 posts
Help!!! - 7 posts
Habitation license for Terrazas de Torreblanca - 1 posts
spanish or international school? - 36 posts
Advice on obtaining rightful information from community management - 2 posts
buying in el manantial playa flamenca, anyone else bought there yet??? - 0 posts
All you need to know about driving in Spain with a European licence - 19 posts
Car rental - 5 posts
Newsletter Alert! - 42 posts
good state school near sotogrande - 12 posts
2nd home in Spain - has the dream been tarnished? - 41 posts
Insurance companies - 9 posts
Drive-by valuation - 7 posts
driving to spain - 16 posts
help!! - 2 posts
area of sotogrande - 9 posts
GGGGGGGrrrrrrrrooooaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhHH!!! - 9 posts
Estepona rental with internet needed - 0 posts
New laws on dangerous dogs in Spain will cause problems - 13 posts
whats best way to go about getting a job in spain please help - 33 posts
El Gusto - Benijofar - 52 posts
After Completion - 15 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 10

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x