I'm moving to spain some advice please

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
16 Jan 2007 9:01 AM by Leigh1982 Star rating in England (doh) soon S.... 20 posts Send private message

I had a look at wemploy but I dont really understand the qualifications I have City & guilds Gnvq's & NVQ's do they qualify in spain

Like 0      
16 Jan 2007 11:11 AM by Trisha Star rating. 10 posts Send private message

A lot of restaurants bars etc advertise for chefs in Sur in English newspaper. You can check out the job section online at www.surinenglish.com

Like 0      
16 Jan 2007 12:22 PM by lisatroak Star rating. 5 posts Send private message

Hi

Before you arrive in Spain join Globelink Language solutions they have been an incredible help to us many ,many time they provide instant over the phone interpretation and information, they make three way calls as well on your behalf they ordered our tel and internet service for us and spoke to our childrens school we could`nt survive in Spain without their help, its peace of mind to know they are allways their, good luck.

Lisa Troak 

Like 0      
16 Jan 2007 12:26 PM by Leigh1982 Star rating in England (doh) soon S.... 20 posts Send private message

Thanks ill give em a go

Like 0      
16 Jan 2007 12:28 PM by lisatroak Star rating. 5 posts Send private message

sorry do you need a websitemy husband just told me www.passthephone.co.uk

bye

Like 0      
17 Jan 2007 12:54 AM by Smiley Star rating in San Pedro de Alcanta.... 2502 posts Send private message

Smiley´s avatar
Think Globelink is something like a premium rate line isnt it or perhaps I have it wrong and was a company with similar name - same sort of service though. Wemploy is a company of British origin so they will understand your qualifications (or should do).

Smiley - patrick@marbellamortgages.com  www.marbellamortgages.com   www.comparetravelcash.co.uk

Like 0      
17 Jan 2007 8:39 AM by lisatroak Star rating. 5 posts Send private message

Hi

No Globelink are a membership not premium rate, last week they interpreted for me and the conversation took about 25 mins and it was still only one call credit, which costs around £2.00  before I was a member of GlobeLink I used an interpreter once who charged me £25.00 per hour inc travel time to see the doctor in all it took about an hour, and she only spoke for 10 mins, with GlobeLink Iget to the doc and then call them when I need them to interpret over the phone.  

Lisa 

Like 0      
17 Jan 2007 12:12 PM by Leigh1982 Star rating in England (doh) soon S.... 20 posts Send private message

could anyone tell me roughly how much it would cost me to learn to drive in spain please

Like 0      
17 Jan 2007 6:20 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar
Leigh, if you have a UK driving licence of the new EU photo type, it is perfectly valid here in Spain. Judging by your question however, you do not yet drive? At the risk of sounding prejudiced, but based on many miles experience in just about every country in Europe (including East Europe) I believe that the general standard of driving in Spain is absolutely appalling. I'm sorry, I have no idea what it would cost to learn to drive here, and frankly I find it hard to believe that anybody has actually paid someone to teach them such bad road craft. My advice is, learn in the UK, get a British licence, cherish it and be proud of it, and when you move over here, please don't lower your standards - it's already dangerous enough out there!

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
17 Jan 2007 6:52 PM by Pitby Star rating in Andalucía. 1904 posts Send private message

Pitby´s avatar
Hi Roberto, I just have to say that, having been in the driving seat on three continents, the driving standards in Europe are 100pc (and more) better than the Middle East and the Far East (and Asia, included)!! In the summer we drove from Paris to Duquesa (west of Estepona) and saw a total of two minor accidents! Here, in Dubai, there are fatalities by the day (possibly even more then that!!) and that doesn't include the other six emirates that make up the UAE! I believe you may be right that Leigh may not have a UK licence, but maybe a Spanish licence isn't so bad compared to others!! Maybe the best bet is to plump for whatever is the most convenient/economical for you, Leigh. If you are planning a long term stint in Spain, it may be better for you to apply for your licence in Spain, bearing in mind they are on the other side of the road to the UK!!!

Like 0      
17 Jan 2007 7:09 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

Pitby may have a good point there, Leigh, if you don't yet drive I suppose it would be best to learn on the right if you are planning to stay in Spain.

Pitby, I've also experienced the roads in parts of Asia (plus the dunes in Dubai!) and I know what you mean; it's just that here in Europe one tends to expect better. After all, we don't generally have to share the roads with sacred cows or wandering elephants. Maybe I'm just feeling sore because a Spanish driver hit my car last week in a car park while I was away from it, and drove off leaving no name and number but a couple of hundred euros worth of damage. I know they were Spanish, because some nearby workmen told me they heard the driver discussing what to do with his passenger. Unfortunately they weren't quick enough to get the licence number, although they did try chasing after him in their van! Nice thought, so not all Spanish drivers are mean.

Mark Twain

Like 0      
17 Jan 2007 7:15 PM by JeansSis Star rating. 2376 posts Send private message

JeansSis´s avatar

I was reading a thread in another forum about taking driving tests in Spain. It actually was more focussed on taking The Theory Test, about whether it was actually IN ENGLISH or IN SPANISH !

I will copy from other forum without linking, ok ?

"Pardon my ignorance is there a spanish theory test and do you have to actually pass it...... surely not the spanish, when the practice is start engine, put in gear, close eyes and go "

"Well, as crazy as it sounds, Yes .. there is a Spanish theory.
and Yes, you do have to pass it.

Well it does look a lot like they stick it in gear and floor it.

The theory is the hardest part in Spain, the practical being the easiest.
in england its the other way around, hense the two diffrent styles of driving."
" If all the Brits had to pass the Spanish driving test there wouldn't be any Brit drivers in Spain."

Then someone posted this link under the heading "Torrevieja on a GOOD day" ha ha ha

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oau_3UDN31w

Like 0      
17 Jan 2007 7:27 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

Hmmm....theory versus practical, English or Spanish etc etc. It's all a bit academic when nobody is enforcing whatever laws there may be governing road use. After all, when did anybody last see a Spanish police car that would actually pass an MOT?Poor Leigh has probably been put off the whole idea by now. How about just getting one of those toy cars that are everywhere now - I believe you don't need a licence at all for them?

Mark Twain

Like 0      
18 Jan 2007 12:17 AM by Smiley Star rating in San Pedro de Alcanta.... 2502 posts Send private message

Smiley´s avatar

Friends of mine from South Africa have recently had to take their tests here and it has proved quite exhausting for both of them - they are both very intelligent people and experienced drivers in RSA - reckon youre best to do it in the UK first Leigh but might not fit your timetable.

Pitby you have been lucky - there is usually at least one MASSIVE accident a week on the N340 between La Linea and Malaga - frequently a lot of minor ones too. With the Spanish habit of not only driving their own vehicle but also wishing to be a passenger in the one in front (such greedy sods) albeit in the luggage space (why wont they listen to their own stereo!) it is hardly surprising I s'pose. It is officially the most dangerous road in Europe - more deaths per annum per km than any other. On the festival weeks they put warnings up on the overhead displays about the number of deaths the same week the prvious year to try and incentivise people to slow down.

Roberto has happened to me too - they take the view that bumpers are exactly that! Saw a 5 series BMW a few weeks back negotiate his way into a space for a Fiat Punto - he simply bounced off the one in front and the one behind until he got it in - amazing to watch - there was a crowd by the time he finished - fag paper gao at either end. If his fenders had returned to leave before he did then they would have had to do exactly the same to him to get out - he didnt seem to bothered about leaving his car - CRAZY!!  I sympathise but exactly the same happens in the UK - mate of mine even had a note left on his screen "the people that saw me hit your motor think I am leaving my details but all I want to say is ?¿&% off" That was in leafy Surrey.   

Smiley - patrick@marbellamortgages.com  www.marbellamortgages.com   www.comparetravelcash.co.uk

Like 0      
18 Jan 2007 8:30 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar
Thanks Smiley, I was worried that people might start to think I'm a little cynical. Now I know I'm not alone I will re-iterate my opinion that the Spanish are the worst drivers in Europe, and that I'm not imagining that there is a car parked on the zebra crossing outside my window, while the copper over the road smoking his fag is busy chatting to the youth (with no crash helmet) on his moped which has no lights or silencer.
Leigh, only you know what's best for you, but I still think that trying to take on driving lessons when you get here is one more headache that you don't need. Good luck, whatever you do. (Sorry nobody has answered your question by the way!)

Mark Twain

Like 0      
19 Jan 2007 12:47 AM by Smiley Star rating in San Pedro de Alcanta.... 2502 posts Send private message

Smiley´s avatar
Oh Roberto thats nothing I have seen a guy at a filling station filling his car - mobile phone in one hand - fag in the other - suffice to say I went on to the next garage without hanigng around to find out! I am so pleased they introduced the new points system - now the old bill point and shout out cuatro puntos to drivers who are on their phones - it really seems effective NOT! Then again I do appreciate the warning when I am illegally parked and they turn up sound the siren and wander off for a coffee or two before they call the Grua.

Like 0      
19 Jan 2007 8:51 AM by Leigh1982 Star rating in England (doh) soon S.... 20 posts Send private message

Ok this is all well and good but is it worth taking over there or in the uk also any good spanish car insurance companys

Like 0      
19 Jan 2007 9:11 AM by Patty_1 Star rating in Hertfordshire. UK. .... 1062 posts Send private message

Leigh I cannot see why you have a problem about taking your test  in England. If you was my son that is what I would be saying to you get it under your belt here its one less thing you have to think about in Spain. I passed my test 20 odd years ago but this will be the first time in Spain driving on the other side of the road I find that daunting enough let alone taking my test again in a foreign country. Good Luck Pat

Like 0      
19 Jan 2007 6:54 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar
OK Leigh, I'm sorry we don't seem to be a very helpful bunch, do we? It seems Pat agrees with me about learning over here, and I've no doubt Smiley is on my side with regards to Spanish driving practices. I really do think you're better off doing it in UK if you can.
For insurance, many of us expats (myself included) now use Linea Directa, the Spanish branch of Direct Line (I'm sure your Spanish is already good enough to work that one out!) Big advantage is that all calls and paperwork are in English. I think their prices are pretty competitive, and they're probably no worse than any other company in the event you actually need them. (my recent prang isn't worth claiming for because the damage is only about the same as my excess, and I'd lose my no-claims bonus also). They also include breakdown coverage with English speaking assistance. You can get all the info you need from their website which is easy enough to find I think.
Leigh, don't forget to check out other threads and articles on EOS about bringing a car from UK versus buying here, registering it etc.
Hope this helps.

Mark Twain

Like 0      
19 Jan 2007 8:37 PM by JeansSis Star rating. 2376 posts Send private message

JeansSis´s avatar
Leigh, don't know if this is relevant BUT you have, I think, to be 21 with 2 yrs licence under your belt IF you want to rent in Spain. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong. 

Like 0      

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

caretaker/cleaner - 0 posts
State of the Rentals Market - 14 posts
Ross Legal Services - 3 posts
Developer fees - 3 posts
Spanish Retreat Security, Reduce crime! - 0 posts
Security in the Costa Blanca area - 4 posts
Benahavis - 0 posts
Happy New Year to Justin & The Team & all the Forum Members! - 1 posts
Monte Selwo Up-date - 7 posts
Architects/Project managers/Builders - 4 posts
Contracts - 3 posts
Banks or Bandits - 6 posts
When you cant complet - 8 posts
MRI experiences please - 5 posts
Air Conditioning Best Buy - 3 posts
HiFX problems, delays transferring money - 56 posts
New messages on El Rincon Costa Blanca Development Forum - 0 posts
Have you visited Malaga yet? - 4 posts
spanish bank charges - 24 posts
Telefonica & Broadband - 7 posts
NEW LOW COST AIRLINE TO ALMERIA - 20 posts
Sorry another question - 0 posts
Pets in apartments - 5 posts
HELP NEEDED URGENTLY - 20 posts
Making a Will - 3 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 48

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 | 3 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x