Telefonica & Broadband

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
22 Dec 2006 12:00 AM by Leoleon Star rating in Estepona. 38 posts Send private message

Hi everyone,

Can someone please explain the reason for the difficulty of getting Boadband on the Costa del Sol.
Some people seem to get it without too much hassle, perhaps a bit of a delay.
Others seem to be forever waiting for it, i.e. years.
Those that I know that do have it, seem to pay way over the odds compared to the rest of Europe. Is this something that will be addressed in the long/short term?
Perhaps my question is directed at the organisers of this excellent webpage which obviously uses broadband professionally.
The cost to a business is of course a business expense, but grandparents trying to keep in touch with family do find it a strain on their resources.

Many thanks
Roy

Like 0      
22 Dec 2006 4:56 PM by Smiley Star rating in San Pedro de Alcanta.... 2502 posts Send private message

Smiley´s avatar

Hi Roy the reason is that Telefonica do not have the infrastructure to cope with the demand. I believe that it is more difficult than it used to be in the UK now as well. Telefonica charge roughly 30€ a month and I would say it is worth paying more than to the independent providers in my experience. The independents are splitting the capacity of the line amongst multiple subscribers so if they say you are getting 8mb access in fact that will be split amongst about a million subscribers and when everyone is at home you will have a hell of a job getting on line. You will need to keep on Telefonicas back and it might be worth going into a Telefonica shop or agent to order it. They are supposed to give business orders preferential treatment although this can sometimes not happen if it is a business run from home. Friend of mine who knows someone who knows someone has just paid to have 5 kms of ADSL cable run to his house otherwise projection was three years before he would have it. Whether its fair or not is another matter but he is in the fortunate position to be able to do it.

If you are in the Campo in Estepona then it may be they have no lines in the area and they will fob off as much as they can. If you know a Spanish speaker with terrier mentality get them to deal with Telefonica for you. If you use a shop make sure THEY ORDER AN ADSL LINE  - I know it sounds crazy but they might order an ordinary phone line and then you are at the back of the queue all over again.

Rgds and hope this helps 

Smiley - patrick@marbellamortgages.com  www.marbellamortgages.com   www.comparetravelcash.co.uk

Like 0      
23 Dec 2006 8:03 AM by Leoleon Star rating in Estepona. 38 posts Send private message

Many thanks Smiley for your clear and concise information.
Your explanation is much appreciated.
Cheers
Roy

Like 0      
23 Mar 2007 3:07 PM by johnone Star rating in La Reserva de Marbel.... 233 posts Send private message

johnone´s avatar

Smiley (or anyone with information)

You seem to be the man in the know

I am moving into my Penthouse next month and have been looking at ADSL instalation. I seem to have found what i am looking at onhttp://www.telefonicainenglish.com/Alta.htm However when I go to the order page, I get a security warning from my Security software warning me

The security certificate presented by this website was issued for a different website's address.
Security certificate problems may indicate an attempt to fool you or intercept any data you send to the server.

And advising me not to proceed, has anyone else ordered online? is this a genuine telefonica site? Any information would be most appreciated

Thanks

John

Dime con quién andas y te diré quién eres.

Like 0      
13 Apr 2008 7:07 PM by miket Star rating in La Mairena, Elviria. 371 posts Send private message

Hello John,

This site looks pretty Kosher to me! You can usually tell if there is a problem with a site when the URL ceases to show the Telefonica In English Address in Sub Pages! I had a good look through this site and everything looks in Order. You may have a setting on your pc that's creating this problem?

Mike T

Like 0      
14 Apr 2008 1:40 PM by Rixxy Star rating in San Pedro. 2010 posts Send private message

Rixxy´s avatar

NO dont go there Joneone. There has been a lot in the local papers about it and basically its a service still using tepefonica lines, but beacause they place your order, they cahrge you (even though they say they dont)

Go direct to telefonica and they have english speakers there. They will ensure you get the line THEN you can go to a low cost adsl provider such as direct-telecom (I have a prepaid account with them to call uk and abroad landlines from 3 cents per minute from my mobile - brill as im out and about all the time!).

You still always need a line from telefonica unless you use a satlite thingy

Also any problems telefonica technicians get ther quickly - I know they have a bad reputation but better the devil you know

Dorry MikeT - I know this company seem ok but honestly many dissatisfied customers!

Quite frankly m'dear, I don't give a damn!

www.herbalmarbella.com

Like 0      
14 Apr 2008 2:04 PM by miket Star rating in La Mairena, Elviria. 371 posts Send private message

Ney Problem Rixxy, I already pay through the nose with Telefonica but the alternative ADSL providors don't currently cover our development!

Mike T

Like 0      
14 Apr 2008 3:24 PM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar
Rixxy's right.  We've had many complaints about this company so would never recommend anyone use them.

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

NEW LOW COST AIRLINE TO ALMERIA - 20 posts
Sorry another question - 0 posts
Pets in apartments - 5 posts
HELP NEEDED URGENTLY - 20 posts
Making a Will - 3 posts
Property owners at Roda - 4 posts
La Recoleta - 2 posts
FibbyUk's document - Paying taxes in Spain (Non Residents) - 18 posts
Merry Christmas Everyone!!! - 11 posts
amputees in coata blanca, north - 0 posts
Agents for rentals - 1 posts
Merry Christmas & a Happy New Year - 0 posts
Working from home in Spain - 4 posts
Corruption - 2 posts
property in Tenerife - 0 posts
What happened to the OTHER thread ? i thought there were TWO on here before ! - 0 posts
Artificial Grass - Good Idea or not? - 0 posts
Spanish builders - 2 posts
Fuente Aloha, Nueva Andelucia - 5 posts
Condes de Iza - 0 posts
Iznajar - Cordoba - 5 posts
Monarch new route - Gatwick to Murcia from May 2007 - 12 posts
IVA on Bank Guarantees - 0 posts
Select Properties Spain SL - 14 posts
Property Management - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 8

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x