Mobile roadside speed detection.

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
30 Mar 2016 6:41 PM by gazzerb Star rating in Malaga/Winchester. 34 posts Send private message

I'm sure I've seen that when a mobile speed detection is in operation that there must be a warning sign placed prior to the zone being used. I have seen this twice (once near Seville in plain sight and once locally but it had fallen into the shrubbery...deliberately?) 

Is this a legal requirement? I passed a car today doing speed checks from behind a bush but don't recall a sign. I do have video footage and will check it later. I was speeding (80 in a 60) but the 60 was a 100m stretch so an ideal money spinner. There was a stop check further down the road but they already had a customer (a mate of mine :-( ) and didn't stop me :-) 

Like 0      
30 Mar 2016 10:32 PM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar

I'll leave you to argue that you didn't see the sign because you were going too fast with the police who stop you

Mobile Speed Cameras

And you can look up the areas where they are operating here and also by putting the road number (eg N-330) in the box

Where are They?

This message was last edited by bobaol on 30/03/2016.

Like 0      
31 Mar 2016 10:48 AM by Tadd1966 Star rating in Los Montesinos. 1754 posts Send private message

So you have video footage of you speeding and possible evidence of no signage 

Don't think it would be a good idea to go anywhere with thid

Like 0      
31 Mar 2016 2:41 PM by hughjardon Star rating in Jaywick Sands. 418 posts Send private message

hughjardon´s avatar

You were speeding and admitted TO THE FACT

CASE CLOSED

Judge Hugh x

This message was last edited by hughjardon on 31/03/2016.

Like 1      
31 Mar 2016 7:25 PM by gazzerb Star rating in Malaga/Winchester. 34 posts Send private message

bobaol: Thanks for the link and it is explained a sign must be displayed at the current speed sign. In my case this was 80 and there wasn't one.

Tadd1966 & hughjardon: I don't dispute I was doing 80 in a 60 (100m stretch) cash cow section but the law is the law for them and us. They must not use hidden cameras, hide their cars, their equipment is to be calibrated regularly and certificated, the officer trained in it's use, a sign displayed. Failure to comply by them is an invalid nick just as it is in the UK. 

The DGT just hope you will payup and not question anything. I probably will pay up but if my licence depended on it I might not.

The us of the video would be to support my argument that no sign was displayed up to the change of speed to 60. I could of course cut short the video so as not to incriminate myself.

Like 1      
01 Apr 2016 2:26 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

I don’t know if a warning notice is  a legal requirement. I have only once ever been stopped for allegedly speeding:   It was in Spain. 

There was no warning sign and as it happened the officer with the radar gun, who had a radio link with the officer down the road who was there to stop and report, had some communications problems in that the signal was not clear,  When I disputed the claim that I was speeding the officer called the one with the radar gun to come to the scene.   When he did he said it was not me who was speeding but another white car.  The officer apologised for stopping me, saluted, and I went on my way.

An aside.    I was in the canteen at  Bow Street  police station some years ago.  A traffic control officer had left a radar gun on a table.    A waitress accidentally knocked it off the table.  The officer picked up the gun; his colleague pushed a trolley used for collecting dirty plate to test the gun. It showed he was doing 3 mph. 

NB    if more than 30 years ago a radar gun could detect the speed of a canteen  trolley, don’t think that in any vehicle you may get away with speeding.

Like 0      
01 Apr 2016 4:22 PM by gazzerb Star rating in Malaga/Winchester. 34 posts Send private message

johnzx: Thanks for your comments. Please look at the link that bobaol posted that takes you to the N332 website where it quite clearly says a sign must be erected and guidelines as to it's positioning and dimensions. Police officers have to follow protocol and if they don't the case fails, from parking fines to murder!

Like 0      
01 Apr 2016 5:05 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Gazz.   Please look at the link that bobaol posted that takes you to the N332 website where it quite clearly says a sign must be erected and guidelines as to it's positioning and dimensions....

I agree but a newspaper article does not necessarily mean that they have quoted the law 100% correctly..  If it is the law,  then of course if police have not complied with the law then, maybe one can argue against paying the fine.

However, I am biased.  If one exceeds the limit or breaks the law in (almost) any other way then I do not believe they should get off because of a technicality.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

WANTED TO RENT UNFURNISHED VILLA/CORTIJO - 0 posts
Pool builder wanted in Murcia - 2 posts
Free healthcare in Spain? - 7 posts
Pregnant- worried about food hygiene in Seville- advice plz - 9 posts
Leak in apartment - 26 posts
Olvera - 1 posts
Employment Advice - 5 posts
RECORD GO car hire, Alicante Airport - 30 posts
Where to buy electrical goods ..... - 4 posts
Transfers to Spain - 0 posts
Congratulations to Costaluz Lawyers - 12 posts
Spanish Hairdreser - 0 posts
Fuster & Associates Recommendation - 1 posts
Camposol - 5 posts
New UK Pensions - 18 posts
PRIVATE INTERNATIONAL SCHOOL IN TORREVIEJA - 0 posts
Ryanair ‘Asks Britons For £6,000 To Fly Home From Terror-Hit Brussels’ - 2 posts
£167bn now - 57 posts
Retired couple moving to Spain - 5 posts
Speed cameras in a gated community - 8 posts
VPN - 4 posts
Taking dogs on caravan site - 1 posts
Best way to sell a car in spain - 3 posts
Car for Sale at bargain price!!!! - 1 posts
this may seem a strange business question - 1 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 8

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x