Speed cameras in a gated community

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
21 Mar 2016 11:04 AM by Lisinopril Star rating in Condado De Alhama. 197 posts Send private message

Heres a quick question.  We live on a gated resort, are the roads private and is the speed limit enforable under spanish law?     It appears that at the last urban enity meeting the presidents agreed to install speed cameras on the inner and outer roads of the resort, the entity will cover the cost estimated at around 75,000 most of which is paid for by the community but i assume that all fines will go to the local council?  So is this legal?  If this goes ahead we will have the only cameras in the area, there are NO fixed cameras in the whole of the municipality.  do they also, like the UK, have to be located in accident black spots as we have had no RTA's on the resort in 7 years.  Ok in the summer we have a few people hitting lamp posts, usually drunks, but no third parties involved and nothing that could be directly related to speed.  infact in 7 years we have only had in dog and one cat run over. the cat - no one saw and the dog was due to the owner walking it along the road off the lead.

Also it seems that they want to install CCTV cameras inside the resort, currently we only have them on the parimeter fence, to keep an eye on drivers and use the number plate readers at the security gates to track non-spanish cars coming onto the resort, i assume to they can report any they have been here more than 6 months?

Is any of this legal?

This message was last edited by Lisinopril on 21/03/2016.

Like 0      
21 Mar 2016 2:52 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Sorry but you seem to be asking questions which only someone with intimate knowledge of your community could answer,

I would suggest you seek the answers from your President and or the administration.

Like 0      
21 Mar 2016 3:05 PM by Lisinopril Star rating in Condado De Alhama. 197 posts Send private message

Not really.  Simple question is, are the roads within a gated community private or public and are the speed limits enforceable under spainish law?

Like 0      
21 Mar 2016 3:46 PM by Tadd1966 Star rating in Los Montesinos. 1754 posts Send private message

Lisinopril

I think a similar rule that is in place in many countires would apply in that if the public have any access to the roads then all rules / laws of the road will apply, the fact that visitors and services probably have access would suffice that the public have access

Putting up your own speed cameras may be a bigger issue and I doubt if the community would have any power to install them or enforce fines etc. unless the speed cameras have been endorsed, calibrated and approved by the appropriate authorities (police, town hall etc)

Suggest you talk to a solicitor

As for CCTV good idea as crime prevention

Like 0      
21 Mar 2016 4:37 PM by nitram Star rating in castalla. 175 posts Send private message

Lisinopril, Public or Private (gated area) Only the “Dirección General de Tráfico can run speed cameras, you can´t even havea Radar Speed Detector in your car.However what happens if there is a serious  Road Trffic accident it will not matter what type of road it is the Police will be involved

Like 0      
21 Mar 2016 8:03 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Lin.   Simple question is, are the roads within a gated community private or public and are the speed limits enforceable under spainish law?

Sorry, but I see at least these questions:-  

are the roads private

is the speed limit enforceable under Spanish law? 

but i assume that all fines will go to the local council?

do they also, like the UK, have to be located in accident black spots

I assume to they can report any they have been here more than 6 months?

For a comprehensive reply, there are several other matters which you have made implication to, which would need to be consideration too,  for a comprehensive reply to the post.,

This message was last edited by johnzx on 21/03/2016.

Like 0      
21 Mar 2016 8:41 PM by juansheetisplenty Star rating in Cartagena. 283 posts Send private message

juansheetisplenty´s avatar

Trying to remain impartial here. I have seen photos of some of the accidents (often late at night) on Condado, which, by the way, is a very, very large resort. Therefore it would seem logical that management is attempting to get some control on this, as well as thefts in the area.

Outside roads: Yes there are mobile speed traps, often on the motorway upto Murcia. Other accidents blackspots. I saw an article that recently that the road between Maxarron and Puerto Mazarron has been designated as  such and will have a speed camera installed this year. If Condado management is intending to liaise with local authority, then that would seem acceptable. I am just speculating.

Inside maybe a different "kettle of fish". CCTV in Spain cannot be indiscrimmentatly pointed in public areas as Johnzx has pointed out in the past. I am not sure if this would require majority or unanimous  approval at the annual meeting by attendees under Horizontal Property Law. 

I agree with John again on the 6 month rule for foreign cars here as rules are tightening anyway and offenders will get caught irrespective, so the cost of installing cameras might seem over the top.

Just some thoughts

Saludos

This message was last edited by juansheetisplenty on 21/03/2016.

This message was last edited by juansheetisplenty on 21/03/2016.

Like 0      
21 Mar 2016 8:52 PM by inspectahomespain Star rating in Orihuela Costa, Spai.... 2417 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

As I have said before people just seem to dis-regard the driving laws when they are inside the gates of a development, that they don't see that there is anything wrong in drink driving, because they believe that they are private roads, well according to the law the major perimeter roads on RODA, La Manga, Corvera, La Torre etc are all public roads, most are patrolled by the Police,

They have to be public to allow access to the golf course and legally you cannot be refused access to a site

The laws apply for speeding and everything else and at night they can be dangerous, especially peak season

Like 0      
21 Mar 2016 9:09 PM by mariedav Star rating in Ciudad Quesada. 1222 posts Send private message

The speed limit on our community is 20kph. We had a meeting with the neighbourhood watch attended by a member of the policia local. We were told that the speed limit is written into the  Community rules and has the same effect as a by law so is enforceable in law. However, we were given permission to install CCTV (with the correct warning signs etc) but not speed cameras.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

VPN - 4 posts
Taking dogs on caravan site - 1 posts
Best way to sell a car in spain - 3 posts
Car for Sale at bargain price!!!! - 1 posts
this may seem a strange business question - 1 posts
who is Traficos governing body - 7 posts
Residential mobile homes/chalets - 3 posts
Administrator or President - 0 posts
Permanent resident of Calpe/Benissa/Moraira/Altea New Vehicle Discounts - 1 posts
Looking for bed shop in Girona Escala - 0 posts
I need a local guide in Madrid - 1 posts
residencia - 2 posts
Water Mains tight - 3 posts
Noise and ASB - 26 posts
EXTRA VIRGIN OLIVE OIL - 2 posts
Question about Community Expenditure - 7 posts
New Career - 0 posts
Swimming pool or water tank? - 5 posts
Appeal cases - 5 posts
Clothes rail wanted for market - 0 posts
More fees for procurador - 5 posts
A delicate question - 3 posts
Spain during Franco's period - 0 posts
Wealth Tax/Patrimonio - 3 posts
Autonomo and Cambridge - 1 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 9

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x