RECORD GO car hire, Alicante Airport

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
27 Mar 2016 11:40 PM by Jaki54 Star rating in Darlington/La Tercia. 39 posts Send private message

Jaki54´s avatar

I returned to the UK on Thursday and have just checked my bank online to check that the half tank of unused fuel had been credited, as it usually is, but not this time, instead I've been debited over 275 euros !!!  I've heard of this happening to others, so I guess it's my turn.  I've emailed Record, DoYouSpain and also my bank disputing the debit, although I'm not holding my breath.

The strange this is when I collected the car there wasn't any damage marked on the paper work they gave me but when I inspected the car, I saw that there were a few areas with large scratches on.  I went to the desk and queried this and the guy came out and looked and said it was ok.  Darn it, I wished I'd taken photos at the time.  I'm guessing that this is what they will use against me !

I've used them for about my last three rentals and found them to be ok.  I've also booked a further three hires with them for my next trips.  Will be cancelling them now and looking elsewhere !  Although it seems that every company I read about has something bad about them :(

Like 0      
28 Mar 2016 12:37 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2626 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

Try hirecarsinspain, they are good and an English broker who will answer any quesries promptly. I don't even look elsewhere now as they do an all inclusive deal too.

Mark

Like 1      
28 Mar 2016 2:34 PM by Jaki54 Star rating in Darlington/La Tercia. 39 posts Send private message

Jaki54´s avatar

Thanks Mark, I'll take a look :)

Like 0      
01 Apr 2016 4:46 PM by Jaki54 Star rating in Darlington/La Tercia. 39 posts Send private message

Jaki54´s avatar

Anyone on here hire a white Nissan Micra Acenta reg 2770 JDH from RecordGo at Alicante airport between 24 February and 10 March and have damage? I collected it on 10 March and returned it on 24 March. 

They've now sent me photos showing damage very low down under the side bumper, which I didn't do.  I'm so annoyed at myself for not seeing this on collection but guess I was too busy querying the huge row of scratches down both sides higher up and so didn't kneel down on the floor to check so low down.  Well you don't do you? But I will in future! I'm thinking because I didn't see it so didn't query it, they're probably aiming to get two lots of money for the repair.  Mine and the previous herer ! If you did hire it, please get in touch sith me urgently.  I'm not easily giving up this fight.

I've driven for over 40 years without incident and been a member of the Institute of Advanced Motorists for over 20 so I'd hardly damage a hire car unless someone ran into me !

Like 0      
01 Apr 2016 5:43 PM by baz1946 Star rating. 2327 posts Send private message

Hi Jaki54.

Did you / do you buy the extra rental companies insurance? I ask because some of the cars I have hired in Spain have had a fair amount of small digs in various places and not once have I been charged extra for any damage, one nearly new car even collected a massive dent in the rear plastic bumper that it didn't have when I picked the car up, told them about it and they couldn't have cared less.  I do buy the rental insurance though.

Like 1      
01 Apr 2016 6:46 PM by sox Star rating. 81 posts Send private message

Tha car hire companies are back to ripping people off, if you take out the hire companies own insurance or Cobertura as it is shown on your receipt, it is 17 Euros a day, 119 Euros  for a week, so add in car hire charge, Fuel,VAT, then you are looking at over 300 Euros for a weeks car hire !!!

If you don't take out their own insurance they seem to be finding bumps and scratches and get money deducted from the deposit you left with them !!!

Like 2      
01 Apr 2016 7:12 PM by Jaki54 Star rating in Darlington/La Tercia. 39 posts Send private message

Jaki54´s avatar

Hi Baz1946

No I don't buy their insurance, and it was an especially low 'New Year" rate I got in January, so I guess tney're wanting more from me in ther ways, by dishonest means !

Like 0      
01 Apr 2016 7:17 PM by Jaki54 Star rating in Darlington/La Tercia. 39 posts Send private message

Jaki54´s avatar

Hi Sox

Yes I agree with you and it seems to be the way to make money, but I think their insurance terms are too high.  I wouldn't mind paying a fair price if they were fair to their customers.  But time and time again I read online of the games these bandits play at.

I've got friends looking out for me a decent car to buy so I won't have to deal with the rudeness of the staff, the dirty cars and their dishonesty in general.

Hey, you live and learn.

Like 0      
01 Apr 2016 7:59 PM by Hephaestus Star rating in The Peak District Na.... 1230 posts Send private message

We're lucky in respect of a car being a bit of a luxury, last year I recall two or three days when the wheels didn't turn. We are flying out to Malaga and staying in Calahonda this month, and have booked a return taxi for €87.00. The boardwalk is very handy and buses are frequent and cheap, plus I can have a drink and ride, so to hell with the car hire firms and their nasty little tricks. wink 

This message was last edited by Hephaestus on 01/04/2016.

I'm Spartacus, well why not?

Like 2      
02 Apr 2016 9:57 AM by baz1946 Star rating. 2327 posts Send private message

Tha car hire companies are back to ripping people off, if you take out the hire companies own insurance or Cobertura as it is shown on your receipt, it is 17 Euros a day, 119 Euros  for a week, so add in car hire charge, Fuel,VAT, then you are looking at over 300 Euros for a weeks car hire !!!

Just found an old car hire document for last September / October 2015 and the all in price, everything, fuel, insurance, V.A.T,  5 door car came to 239.33€ about £192.ish, I paid for the car separately and that was 18.00€, this hire was for 13 days.

Last Christmas, which I cant find the invoice for, was a lot less for 10 days, think that total invoice came to about 170.00€ for a bigger car also.

Like 1      
02 Apr 2016 11:12 AM by sox Star rating. 81 posts Send private message

That's my point Baz,  2 years ago Cobertura was 3 Euros a day, last year was 7 Euros a day, this year it's 17 Euros a day !!! They are trying to compensate for the drop in fuel prices and the rip off that they was fined millions  for by the the EU !!

This message was last edited by sox on 02/04/2016.

Like 1      
02 Apr 2016 5:22 PM by MillyC Star rating. 22 posts Send private message

Have a look at insure4carhire.com...They charge £40.00 per year to cover all additional excess charges meaning you don't have to pay the insurance companies 'Extortionate insurance charges'......I have just paid £100 for 9 days hire...They wanted an additional £4.34 a day for the additional insurance!!!!

Like 1      
02 Apr 2016 6:12 PM by Jaki54 Star rating in Darlington/La Tercia. 39 posts Send private message

Jaki54´s avatar

Thanks MillyC for taking the time to respond.  I already have cover with insurance4carhire, but am loathe to make a claim as it will probably affect my UK car insurance premium when due.  It's so annoying when I haven't done any damage.  In fact on looking at the photos they sent, the reg plate doesn't look straight and so for all I know they've swapped in onto another car of the same model ! The robbing *********** (fill in the gap with your choice of word).

Like 1      
03 Apr 2016 7:00 PM by Hephaestus Star rating in The Peak District Na.... 1230 posts Send private message

Jaki54, there is no chance of overseas excess cover claims affecting your UK insurance premium, however on the subject of the hirers being robbing ********, you are quite correct, I can't be bothered anymore of examining my hire car for scratches and dents on collection and being billed many Euros for possible damage/fines after returning it, which takes them an eternity to refund.

At least Dick Turpin had the good grace to wear a mask. wink 

This message was last edited by Hephaestus on 03/04/2016.

Like 3      
03 Apr 2016 8:28 PM by Jaki54 Star rating in Darlington/La Tercia. 39 posts Send private message

Jaki54´s avatar

Hephaestus, that comment about Dick Turpin made me smile :D

Also I didn't realise that about a claim.  Thank you !

"Jaki54, there is no chance of overseas excess cover claims affecting your UK insurance premium,"

Like 0      
03 Apr 2016 8:41 PM by baz1946 Star rating. 2327 posts Send private message

Jaki54.

You are quite correct in that a rental car claim might affect your UK policy, it probably wont affect your no claims bonus as it's not a claim on this / your UK policy, but remember with many car insurance companies now they might ask you if you have had any accidents or motor car related claims in the past so and so years, and as you know should you lie and they did find out they might increase your policy.

Best to ask your UK insurance company, but be aware they can and do record calls, and calling numbers, best to use a false name as well and use it as an inquiry.

I deal with car insurance companies very often and if you think that Spains rental companies are crooks (I don't as it happens) some of our car insurance companies make them look like angels.

Like 2      
03 Apr 2016 9:00 PM by Jaki54 Star rating in Darlington/La Tercia. 39 posts Send private message

Jaki54´s avatar

Thanks baz1946.  Think I will just revert to original plan and take it on the chin and just put down to experience.

Like 0      
04 Apr 2016 1:00 PM by Hephaestus Star rating in The Peak District Na.... 1230 posts Send private message

Jaki54,

insurance4carhire will be pleased to confirm that your claim does not have to be declared to your UK insurer, they told me this when I had one for an aerial that went missing between parking the car in the car hire return bay and it being inspected for damage. They are part of the Towergate group and are reglated by the Financial Conduct Authority, so are in very serious trouble if they are telling their cleints porky's. 

Like 2      
04 Apr 2016 2:50 PM by Jaki54 Star rating in Darlington/La Tercia. 39 posts Send private message

Jaki54´s avatar

Thanks again for responding Hephaestus. I'll make contact with them and report back :)

Like 0      
04 Apr 2016 4:01 PM by baz1946 Star rating. 2327 posts Send private message

What a coincidence, aerial missing, so don't make a claim, crime of the century, how about the 4 valve caps, did they go missing as well? 

As I said Jaki54, if your bothered about the claim ask the people who know as I said, even I don't know what YOUR company would say,  that is the only way you might get to save yourself money,  you will get the correct expert advice and might not have any increase on your UK car policy.

Like 2      

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Where to buy electrical goods ..... - 4 posts
Transfers to Spain - 0 posts
Congratulations to Costaluz Lawyers - 12 posts
Spanish Hairdreser - 0 posts
Fuster & Associates Recommendation - 1 posts
Camposol - 5 posts
New UK Pensions - 18 posts
PRIVATE INTERNATIONAL SCHOOL IN TORREVIEJA - 0 posts
Ryanair ‘Asks Britons For £6,000 To Fly Home From Terror-Hit Brussels’ - 2 posts
£167bn now - 57 posts
Retired couple moving to Spain - 5 posts
Speed cameras in a gated community - 8 posts
VPN - 4 posts
Taking dogs on caravan site - 1 posts
Best way to sell a car in spain - 3 posts
Car for Sale at bargain price!!!! - 1 posts
this may seem a strange business question - 1 posts
who is Traficos governing body - 7 posts
Residential mobile homes/chalets - 3 posts
Administrator or President - 0 posts
Permanent resident of Calpe/Benissa/Moraira/Altea New Vehicle Discounts - 1 posts
Looking for bed shop in Girona Escala - 0 posts
I need a local guide in Madrid - 1 posts
residencia - 2 posts
Water Mains tight - 3 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 31

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x