Want to turn dream to reality

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
07 Feb 2015 10:08 AM by torgerson Star rating. 3 posts Send private message

The biggest mistake of my life was to move to Estepona 9 years ago.  Think long and hard and try not to keep too much money in a Spanish Bank (even Barclays).  Now we are even supposed to change our driving licenses.  Its a minefield here.  If you Really have to come DO NOT BUY.  Communities are the worst part of Spanish life.  I wish you luck.  The South of France is much preferable and the flights are cheap and only 1 1/2 hours from UK.

Good luck.  You will need it if you come here.  Read Ghosts os Spain by Giles Tremlett it may give you an insight into the Spanish "mind".

Susan

Like 0      
07 Feb 2015 10:25 AM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar

And you would also have to change your driving licences in France now, as well. Same as if you were a EU national moving to UK you would have to change it to a UK one. All EU rules and not one that Spain has suddenly clutched from mid-air.

Oh, and it's a two hour flight from London to Nice. Can't see 20 minutes making a difference. And don't forget that, although Spain makes you declare propery, bank accounts and bonds over 50K, France makes you declare cars, jewellery, paintings and other goods and then taxes you on them.

The other man's grass and all that.

Like 1      
07 Feb 2015 10:52 AM by acer Star rating. 1528 posts Send private message

Sorry Torgerson, not sure that's good advice on any front and sounds a bit personal.  I haven't been to Estepona recently but I gather it's now a bit lairy in the summer months, but you "pay your money and you take your choice".

I reckon renting is good, but only on a short term basis whilst you research.  Prices are rock bottom, but will go up and if you buy wisely and really scrutinise the legals you will have a good investment.  There is no investment in renting long term.

The beaucracy is worse than UK, but there are always people to help by either pointing you in the right direction, or others who will do the job for you for a modest fee.  The labour costs are a fraction of UK's so it's not a big deal, but personally I like to try and do things myself if I can as part of the learning process.

If you are new to Spain communities can be extremely helpful.  Of course it depends on the individual, but many have active social committees and it's good to have the option if you participate or not.

So another contrasting view.

This message was last edited by acer on 07/02/2015.

Like 0      
07 Feb 2015 10:53 AM by Mickyfinn Star rating in Spain and France. 1833 posts Send private message

I do agree with the comment "communities are the worst part of Spanish life". The infighting, back stabbing and general wars between groups make life unbearable at times.

The alternative is life in a Spanish village or town. However don't try that if you want peace and quiet. There is always the campo but you cannot lock and leave your house. It will get broken into damaged or demolished for being illegal.

The Spanish state is getting very aggressive towards expats and if they are not careful they will kill the golden goose.

France has it's drawbacks but at least the state is fair, less corrupt, accountable and equitable.

Like 0      
07 Feb 2015 11:40 AM by acer Star rating. 1528 posts Send private message

Sorry it must be National Negativity Day - I hadn't realised.  Let's forget why we opted for Spain with the marvellous healthy culture, restaurants which are a fraction of the UK price, beautiful beaches, infinitely better climate, friendly local people, cheap property prices, well priced fresh food, superb locally prodced wines you pay treble the price at Tesco's and a far more affordable cost of living generally.

Unless you opt for a life as a hermit you'll always have neighbours who have their owns ways - where I am it's only the occasional British renters that cause the serious niggles, but these are short lived and when absolutely necessary the local police are quite obliging.

Like 2      
07 Feb 2015 12:51 PM by camposol Star rating in Camposol. 1406 posts Send private message

Being realistic is not being negative

Restaurants are cheaper, not " a fraction of the price"

Not everyone is bothered about wine being cheaper here, or fags for that matter!

Fresh food is no better or cheaper than Tescos, and is often dearer in Spain

Spain is less regulated in many areas, meaning less protection for consumers

People get fed up with conflicting advice on taxes etc and don't know who to trust

Ever changing rules , not changing for the better either, 

Trying to live legally, with all the hassle it involves,while some fellow expats live a cheaper, stress free life under the radar.

No one denies that the climate is better than UK, although some forget that Spain is a hot country for 4 months, pleasant for 4 months, and cold and damp for the other 4

The ideal, of course, is to  stay in the UK, enjoy your insulated centrally heated house, have long holidays out here, avoiding residency, income tax etc.

Like 0      
07 Feb 2015 12:51 PM by camposol Star rating in Camposol. 1406 posts Send private message

Being realistic is not being negative

Restaurants are cheaper, not " a fraction of the price"

Not everyone is bothered about wine being cheaper here, or fags for that matter!

Fresh food is no better or cheaper than Tescos, and is often dearer in Spain

Spain is less regulated in many areas, meaning less protection for consumers

People get fed up with conflicting advice on taxes etc and don't know who to trust

Ever changing rules , not changing for the better either, 

Trying to live legally, with all the hassle it involves,while some fellow expats live a cheaper, stress free life under the radar.

No one denies that the climate is better than UK, although some forget that Spain is a hot country for 4 months, pleasant for 4 months, and cold and damp for the other 4

The ideal, of course, is to  stay in the UK, enjoy your insulated centrally heated house, have long holidays out here, avoiding residency, income tax etc.

Like 0      
07 Feb 2015 1:00 PM by Mickyfinn Star rating in Spain and France. 1833 posts Send private message

Acer I'm glad Spain works for you. I’m sure there must be some urbanisations in Spain that are a pleasurable to live in as long as you don’t get involved in the management or politics of the place and resist the temptation not to side with people and don't stay too long.

However my comparisons are not with the UK where I have not set foot for over thirty years. My quality of life in France is infinitely superior to Spain where I do spend some time of the year. So I experience the two first hand.

The positives you mention are all available in France, especially if you speak the language, with the added bonus of having the best health care standard in the world. France has much better restaurants and food quality available in supermarkets and none existent crime in the countryside. I could go on but its a silly argument really.

I don’t doubt if you compare your life in Spain to that of the UK I would absolutely agree with you but its horses for courses in the end. In my view Spain is a good place to visit at certain times of the year and hang out for a while but not to live on a permanent basis.

Like 0      
07 Feb 2015 1:30 PM by acer Star rating. 1528 posts Send private message

Hi Camposol,

I reckon you've got one of the best Indian restaurants - Gateway to India (I think) they do, or did a form of menu del dia for €6 or so.  There's literally hundreds of others in the area with very well priced good food - possibly my favourites are two in Isla Plana where they do a 5 course lunch for €11 or so - these would be double the price in the UK.

I often shop for food where the locals do at the markets, which are substantially cheaper than the supermarkets, but I do like Consum that you have.  If you avoid the imported items they are substantially better priced than the comparable British item.  I drink a lot of wine, so for me that's important too!

The way you deal with Spanish taxes is a matter of choice, but I'm staying non resident and limiting my time to 183 days a year, which is fine.

Hi Mickyfinn,

I used to go to France a llot, but found it expensive.  As a generalism the French seem a bit morose and have a bit of a chip on their shoulder about the English.  They seem to dwell on history too much.  But yes I've heard their healthcare is good and their pension expectations make us seem like paupers.

I also concede French cuisine is far superior to Spanish which tends to be rather basic.  On the other hand French wines and alcohol generally tends to be over priced, eg Champagne v Cava, so as you say "horses for courses", each to his own.

Like 0      

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

DEDUCTED FROM BARCLAYS BANK. - 6 posts
Lake fishing - 4 posts
Gestor in Murcia area ( somewhere near Murcia City) - 1 posts
Android tv - 5 posts
How to find a list of Spanish schools in Malaga? - 0 posts
Credit cards and car hire - 8 posts
offer less rent than advertised? what's protocol? - 7 posts
On and off internet connection - 5 posts
Replacement house alarm battery - 4 posts
Ballot for president - 4 posts
3 network feel at home coming to Spain in April. - 1 posts
Leaving Spain, tax deregistration form 030. - 1 posts
Visiting Alicante area to view property - 27 posts
Need help on setting up a hand car valeting business in spain - 24 posts
Best house and contents insurance for holiday home - 29 posts
Dishwasher - 4 posts
Second Hand Furniture Required - 1 posts
Law firm wins a case - 7 posts
Anyone for Tennis - 0 posts
good restaurant - 0 posts
Photo Url problem - 2 posts
Easter parades - 0 posts
DESPERATE APPEAL FOR A FOSTER PLACE OR FOREVER HOME .... - 0 posts
Tv programmes re buying in Spain - 23 posts
Advice on water bill - 6 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 49

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 | 3 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x