offer less rent than advertised? what's protocol?

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
20 Jan 2015 12:19 PM by axti101 Star rating. 24 posts Send private message

What's the protocol for offering less rent than landlords advertise at? Hi is it normal to make an offer on rental property in Spain. We've never rented in uk or spain and we're looking mainly on idealista (long term let) and is it considered acceptable to offer 600 euro for 700 euro rental for example? I would consider it down right cheek if someone offered me 100euro less. Please only reply if you have experience of this, rather than guess? Obviously,  if it's been empty and on the market then fair game. Much appreciated. 

Like 0      
20 Jan 2015 12:39 PM by starfox Star rating. 58 posts Send private message

We got about third off of the advertised rent on the place we are in. It was advertised much higher than others in the same area so I think the landlord knew it was too much. We didn't really negotiate either, when we said we like the house but the rent is too high they came back with a much better offer so we accepted it.

In saying that though I'm not sure we would of tried to haggle had it been under our budget to begin with but you can always try. Sometimes on the rental sites you will see the same property advertised a few times with different pricing, generally to take into account agents fees so if you can find a way to contact the landlord direct I think you stand a better chance of getting a reduction. The worst that can happen is they say no so it's worth asking.

Like 0      
20 Jan 2015 12:52 PM by axti101 Star rating. 24 posts Send private message

Wow a 1/3 off that's some going! Thanks for relating your experience.  I think any reasonable landlord wants good tenants,  I think if you create good a impression and show you are considerate professional people I imagine a landlord would be flexible. Thanks for your reply. 

Like 0      
20 Jan 2015 1:01 PM by starfox Star rating. 58 posts Send private message

The advertised rent was really quite high so I think there is more room for movement, it could of been they weren't in a hurry to move out but like you say when you leave a good impression and can prove you can meet the payments I'm sure it makes a lot of difference at times.

I'm not so sure I'd be offering 600eu for a 900eu place though, your first idea of 100 off seems like a more reasonable place to start.

Like 0      
20 Jan 2015 1:05 PM by Tadd1966 Star rating in Los Montesinos. 1754 posts Send private message

Start as low as you dare (even 1/2 or 1/3) you can always go back with a higher offer

Like 0      
20 Jan 2015 1:37 PM by Team GB Star rating. 1245 posts Send private message

Team GB´s avatar

It's all down to supply and demand in your chosen area! Here, quite close  to Marbella and on the coast, offers of more than 10% less than the asking price are mostly declined. It would be totally unusual for anyone to offer the asking price to start with, even the well off!. A margin for negotiation is always built in the asking price, don't be shy, they can only say no.

Like 0      
20 Jan 2015 6:57 PM by Conchi Star rating. 49 posts Send private message

Always offer less and it usually works. There are hundreds, perhaps thousand of owners desperate to rent out.be realistic though, there is a point where it isn't worth the bother.

Like 0      
20 Jan 2015 9:32 PM by axti101 Star rating. 24 posts Send private message

All sounds like good advice,  I think your right - some of these rental properties have been on the websites for several weeks/months. There is obviously an oversupply of rental properties which makes it a great market for the renter.  My only problem is I want to rent in an area of Malaga Esta specifically close to a certain school so rental properties are not as common as perhaps the more touristy areas but non the less I'm aware now that's is more than acceptable to make an offer. Thanks again. 

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

On and off internet connection - 5 posts
Replacement house alarm battery - 4 posts
Ballot for president - 4 posts
3 network feel at home coming to Spain in April. - 1 posts
Leaving Spain, tax deregistration form 030. - 1 posts
Visiting Alicante area to view property - 27 posts
Need help on setting up a hand car valeting business in spain - 24 posts
Best house and contents insurance for holiday home - 29 posts
Dishwasher - 4 posts
Second Hand Furniture Required - 1 posts
Law firm wins a case - 7 posts
Anyone for Tennis - 0 posts
good restaurant - 0 posts
Photo Url problem - 2 posts
Easter parades - 0 posts
DESPERATE APPEAL FOR A FOSTER PLACE OR FOREVER HOME .... - 0 posts
Tv programmes re buying in Spain - 23 posts
Advice on water bill - 6 posts
Question on succession law in Spain - 15 posts
Fran - 3 posts
NEW! Null mortgages by the Supreme Court - 0 posts
virtual cadastral map Spain - 1 posts
€900 to put electric in my name? - 3 posts
Help and Advice on rentals in Mojon Hills - 9 posts
Reregistering a car over 25 years old. - 1 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 8

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x