Not new, but.....

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
11 Aug 2014 2:54 PM by Marmalagueña Star rating. 8 posts Send private message

I don't seem to be able to start a new thread any other way except through here, though strictly speaking, I''m not new.  Anyway, I wanted to ask the following question:

I've been practising Spanish by listening to the news frequently for the last few months.  There seems to be a lot of fraud and several names have been linked to it eg. Pujol, Undungarin,Blesa, Ojeda, NOOS, etc.  Several people have gone to prison.  Several different organisations have been involved.

What set it all off?  Here in the UK, a whistle-blower informed a newspaper about the expenses scandal, but these cases seem to be all over Spain.  What sparked it all off?

Like 0      
15 Aug 2014 1:22 PM by eos_ian Star rating in Valencia. 506 posts Send private message

eos_ian´s avatar

Well what sparked it all of was that the councils went bankrupt with the crisis and everyone wanted to know where the money had gone! In the case of Pujol his son's ex-girlfriend went to the police and told them what she had seen while living with them.... basically it all got so big that it was impossible to hide anymore. These aren't an expenses scandals. These people didn't just steal thousands or millions, they stole billions before gettign caught! The Pujol family has 500 million stashed away in just one of their bank accounts in Andorra. They have accounts all around the world plus a property portfolio which is endless. This is similar to the Marbella case. Really unbelievable.

Ian :   EOS TEAM MEMBER 

www.eyeonspain.com/blogs/ianandspain.aspx

Like 1      
15 Aug 2014 1:24 PM by eos_ian Star rating in Valencia. 506 posts Send private message

eos_ian´s avatar

The place the thread in the correct forum click on the green  "new thread " button at the top of the page, then select the forum from the drop down menu on the right hand side.

Ian :   EOS TEAM MEMBER 

www.eyeonspain.com/blogs/ianandspain.aspx

Like 0      
16 Aug 2014 3:45 PM by Marmalagueña Star rating. 8 posts Send private message

Thanks for that reply.  Wow!  That's even worse than any of the scandals here in the UK.  Fact is sometimes worse than fiction.

Like 0      
17 Aug 2014 10:35 AM by Woodbug Star rating. 371 posts Send private message

It's been going on for donkey's years here in Spain. Politics and public office is steeped in corruption and theft of public money. I couldn't count the Mayors from different towns that have been convicted of fraud, the councils who have milked the system and the politicians who are all corrupt and have been for many years. 2010 saw the Marbella 'scandal' where two Mayors (Munoz and Yague) were part of a massive fraud organised by Juan Antonio Rocca (J.R. to his mates) and Jesus Gill. The admitted accepting E670 million, but discoveries were still being made 3 years later - so nobody knows the true sum involved. 

We were involved in a developemnt project nr Marbella when the Mayor was arrested and every single project in the town was stopped by the courts and not a brick was laid for 3 years in that town - many went bust and many just walked away. We had to go to court in Malaga to prove the money trail and show where the money came from and to whom it was paid - this took years and although we were cleared and told we could continue, the recession had taken hold, our funders had backed out of the deal, so we had to mothball it, and it is still as it was. The Mayor? he got 6 months and was re-elected as Mayor and has been arrested twice since! In 1992 Rocca came off the dole to work in the town hall and 15 years later, as Gill's right hand man was worth 35m euros.

Like 2      
17 Aug 2014 11:56 AM by Marmalagueña Star rating. 8 posts Send private message

I'm amazed at what I'm reading!  It makes everything here in the UK souind like peanuts - wer'e complaining because some politicians have fiddled a few thousand  and claimed for a packet of biscuits!  And strictly speaking, the bankers didn't do anything illegal, just merely "poor business decisions".   How could it have gone on for so long?

Like 0      
17 Aug 2014 3:10 PM by Conchi Star rating. 49 posts Send private message

Always been the same but at least corruption is being exposed to the public now. I think it got worse when Spain started to get billions bunged at it from the European Union...councils were awash with money and even some of the Royal Family managed to get their hands on some of it although a few seem to have escaped exposure.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Legal tip 1192. Clients deciding on Actions against Banks - 19 posts
buying seconhand car - 2 posts
Moving to Spain - 52 posts
Car Sale or Swap - 0 posts
YourViva and other 'News' Items on SPI. - 2 posts
Airport Transfer Friday 15th - 5 posts
Broadband speeds on new connection for an extended stay - 0 posts
Advice or ideas Please - 7 posts
Anual travel insurance. - 6 posts
smoking rules around a private community pool - 2 posts
high cost of used cars in Spain - 8 posts
Help!! Completion of Modelo 210 online - 6 posts
Solar Power - 11 posts
Best PAYG Sim only or Phone deal August 2014 - 5 posts
Road Tax - 10 posts
Is this a good mortgage rate? - 2 posts
newby needs help! - 4 posts
Spains retro asset grab on Pensioners - 4 posts
capital gains tax when selling property - 4 posts
DRIVING UK-SPAIN / SPAIN-UK please read below - 0 posts
TORREVIEJA VERSUS VILLAMARTIN. - 1 posts
recommendations for hotels near murcia court - 4 posts
Glaucoma and Cataract Operation - 0 posts
New to Forum - 3 posts
Spain registered car in uk ( originally uk registered) - 5 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 7

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x