Car Deliver Spain/UK/Spain

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
16 Jun 2014 11:08 AM by Susanspain Star rating in Mijas, Malaga. 145 posts Send private message

Susanspain´s avatar

Hi, I am just trying to get an idea for a friend of cost of having their car shipped down for their holidays, then back again!

UK reg car. Med size saloon. (Mondeo) London to Malaga. 

I am aware there are lots of transport co's out there, but just trying to get a ball park figure before I start wading into getting 101 quotes!

Many thanks. 

(Will be coming down Sept/Oct, returning 3 months later - They are aware they can only drive the car on UK plates as a non-resident for max 90 days in a year.) 

NB One UK co quoted 550GBP One way. Does this sound right? 

Like 0      
16 Jun 2014 12:13 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

I cannot believe that shipping a car against rental,  cannot be cost effective.

Like 0      
16 Jun 2014 12:57 PM by baz1946 Star rating. 2327 posts Send private message

Hi, I am just trying to get an idea for a friend of cost of having their car shipped down for their holidays, then back again!

UK reg car. Med size saloon. (Mondeo) London to Malaga. 

I am aware there are lots of transport co's out there, but just trying to get a ball park figure before I start wading into getting 101 quotes!

Many thanks. 

(Will be coming down Sept/Oct, returning 3 months later - They are aware they can only drive the car on UK plates as a non-resident for max 90 days in a year.) 

NB One UK co quoted 550GBP One way. Does this sound right? 

This your friend could do for themselves, Ford Focus (Shorter then Mondeo) rental from Malaga airport last day Sept..3 months..Last day Dec, £2582.21 = @1.20 3098.65€. plus ex's

Of course they could find a local Fred in the shed type rental in Malaga probably half that or less, who might even do a good longish term deal.

Also there are people who do this sort of thing for a living, ( Drive and Deliver cars that is) I had one guy who delivered boats to Spain, Greece etc, then caught a cheap flight home, as it's not until Sep worth the look around.

£550 one way sounds about right when you know what is involved, and maybe they might do it cheaper then twice that price for a return trip.

This message was last edited by baz1946 on 16/06/2014.

Like 0      
16 Jun 2014 2:42 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

I have never rented a car in Spain but I just googled  "3 months car hire Malaga"   One result showed that a rental had ben obtained through a major rental company in Malaga airport for 135 euros a month, so 405 euros for 3 months. That was in 2012 so allow for some increase or maybe decrease with crisis ! 

As I said I have no personal expereience.

Quote " i have just booked for 135 euro/month a ford fiesta through  *******.es, its great offer i believe! you can pick up it at Malaga airport and take back there also! "

Like 0      
16 Jun 2014 3:34 PM by baz1946 Star rating. 2327 posts Send private message

** EDITED -Inciting- Against forum rules **

This message was last edited by eos_moderators on 6/16/2014 10:30:00 PM.

Like 0      
16 Jun 2014 4:07 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

** EDITED **

Susan, I just called the hire company, the one which the person in 2012 said they rented from.

That company now will only rent for 28 days at a time. The rental for 28 days would be 326 euros for a Fiesta ot similar, . So,  978 euros for 3 x 28 days, and no extras. 

As I said,  probably a lot cheaper than shipping a car from UK, which would entail probably extras, e.g. insurance , breakdown cover etc and the inconvenience of a right hand drive.

But I dare say if one shopped-around,  they could get a better deal than that, and certainly better  than 3098.65€   !!!

This message was last edited by johnzx on 16/06/2014.

This message was last edited by eos_moderators on 6/16/2014 10:31:00 PM.

Like 0      
16 Jun 2014 5:13 PM by baz1946 Star rating. 2327 posts Send private message

** EDITED **

I also take note of the "Extra" piece you added on, Afterwards, but again the rental cost you quoted is for a Ford Fiesta, hardly the same price as a Ford Focus or Ford Mondeo sized car, and the price I posted I did get the Euro's and Sterling around the wrong way, had you bothered to check correctly, and not used someone els'e outdated worthless quote I would have thought you would have noticed this.

You dont have to call the rental companys these days either if your google is up to date it's very easy to do it all on line and find these quotes.

Do You Spain, put in end of Sep to end of Dec, go down to the Ford Focus price, one of many companies to look at...** EDITED **

** EDITED **

This message was last edited by baz1946 on 16/06/2014.

This message was last edited by eos_moderators on 6/16/2014 10:35:00 PM.

Like 0      
16 Jun 2014 5:49 PM by argarcia Star rating in Torrevieja. 23 posts Send private message

IMHO I think it would be a little cheaper to hire a car here especially if you shop around but you do need to be aware of the 'extras' that are charged which are not always declarred (full tank policies and wheel insurance etc).. I am sure there is plenty of posts regarding such practices.on the forums if you care to do a search. To pay for someone to bring the car over and or drive it back, taking into account the costs, for ferries, fuel and tolls, it would be a similar figure to paying for someone to put in on their transport vehicle. Personally I would avoid to bring over a foreign car unless the idea was to keep it here pemanently and to pay to changeover to spanish registration. Good Luck.

Like 1      
16 Jun 2014 9:07 PM by mariedav Star rating in Ciudad Quesada. 1222 posts Send private message

I bet you wish you never asked the question now, either that or hope Susan Spain doesn't get read as Susans Pain.

My next door neighbour had his car shipped over. One way only with a company called Winns. £549 and he had to collect it from Alicante.

Like 2      
16 Jun 2014 10:58 PM by Team GB Star rating. 1245 posts Send private message

Team GB´s avatar

Yes Mariedav indeed. I'm sure Susan was more than able to explore the car hire possibilities If that's what her friends had wanted.

I can also confirm that £550 is the going rate for delivery to Costa del Sol areas as well. I have a few friends that have done this over the years. If you are going to bring your car it's a no brainer really, as Andy said, with fuel, ferries and tolls you can't drive here cheaper.

I would just add, there are plenty of  stories of lost money and even cars (some on this site if you search) Just make sure you use a bone fide company that uses it's own staff and transporters preferably with tracker devices fitted.I would also want all risk insurance while the vehicle is in thier care. It might also be a good idea to pay by credit card if you can as you may have some recourse there if things go wrong.

Like 2      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Rental Frustration! - 8 posts
licence groups - 2 posts
Santander bank - 14 posts
Santander bank - 1 posts
Where does Spain's political future lie? - 4 posts
repair to small tiles on swimming pool floor without emptying water - 14 posts
newbie with some questions - 0 posts
Need to pay CGT - 3 posts
Building Services Granada/Sierra Nevada needed - 1 posts
Getting refund of tax and fees on Ryanair flights. - 7 posts
Catastro Hacienda - 2 posts
Respect of inalienable rights and Ley 57/68 - 5 posts
Parking Malaga airport - 15 posts
Spanish mortgage debt process - 7 posts
"House Prices Will Bottom Out Early Next Year" - 18 posts
Action against the Bank - Concern over cancellation of purchase contract - 4 posts
Cancelling existing utility contracts - 8 posts
Best electricity company in Spain? - 3 posts
Home insurance in Spain - 0 posts
Spanish sport..... - 1 posts
Car hiring in Spain - 17 posts
Aifos developments where Bank Guaranteed have been found - 7 posts
Spanish Mortgage Shortfall and UK Bankruptcy - 28 posts
Spanish Mortgage Shortfall - Chasing Debt In UK - 9 posts
Cleaner Required Near Campoamore - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 10

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x